IGNORED

Chimera

devwebcl

Welcome Shahid and a belated Happy Eid to you...

Hope you had a good time in Saudi, my mother in law just came back after making her first pilgrimage.

Sorry to hear about your bike and the idiots up there...

Like many in here I'm from the days like yourself when the machines were new and exciting, Chimera was one of my faves which was odd as I was never much into the isometric stuff (non spectrum owner).

After Chimera, what happened, its like most 8bit individual programmers just faded away as the Atari died, my old mate Noel Daniel (Sidewinder and Thunderfox on the 8bit Atari) just seemed to vanish (I think Carmel knows what happened to him.

DId you just move on to business stuff?

Thanks for the welcome DragonStomper, and many thanks for your Eid greetings. I have never been to Saudi, but would obviously like to go one day!

Really appreciate the sentiments about Chimera.

I continued to do quite a lot of coding, but mostly on other platforms. I ended up doing two more games on the 8-bit Atari.

After 1990, I got into music production and started making music for video games, featuring in games by Virgin and Core Design; then in 1992, joined BITS full time at first to head up their music dept and eventually moved into production. After that I left to join Virgin as a PRoducer, then Hasbro as a Senior Producer, then Exec Producer, then I set up a funding outfit called START! games, which got quite a bit of attention. I think some of this is mentioned in the About page on the chimera2010.com blog - really appreciate the interest.

Two more games? On our A8 games base there's only more Matta Blatta, what is the other one?

Two more games? On our A8 games base there's only more Matta Blatta, what is the other one?

It was The Comet Game. And it was rubbish. My first published Atari game in 1983 was "Storm in a Teacup". That was also rubbish, but it was my first, so I love it for that. I might have done more, I don't remember.

BTW, I just bought The Comet Game on Atari off eBay. I felt like J.R. Hartley from that old Yellow Pages advert ;-)

Edited by shahid

It was The Comet Game. And it was rubbish. My first published Atari game in 1983 was "Storm in a Teacup". That was also rubbish, but it was my first, so I love it for that. I might have done more, I don't remember.

BTW, I just bought The Comet Game on Atari off eBay. I felt like J.R. Hartley from that old Yellow Pages advert ;-)

Haha, used to love those commercials...

For the younger / non British readers

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Tezz, can I request something for your Chimera port? Feel free to say "no", but it's just a request....

Could you implement two routines for contolling the character with the joystick? You can use the normal routine but also could you have a routine to allow pressing the joystick to the right takes you SE, down=SW, left=NW and up=NE? I've got so used to the controls in Head over Heels that any other control mechanism alien8s me a bit (get the pun!?!?!).

It could be an option in the menu...

Tezz, can I request something for your Chimera port? Feel free to say "no", but it's just a request....

Could you implement two routines for contolling the character with the joystick? You can use the normal routine but also could you have a routine to allow pressing the joystick to the right takes you SE, down=SW, left=NW and up=NE? I've got so used to the controls in Head over Heels that any other control mechanism alien8s me a bit (get the pun!?!?!).

It could be an option in the menu...

Hi Steve, I was just thinking the other day actually whether to have an option for directional control and the rotation control. Originally I was intending to only have this revamp with the directional control like you described as it was with Chimera on all the other 8-bit versions (which I much prefer personally too). I saw the other day that the later Game boy version does have the control options at the start. Rotate and walk is a bit tedious imho, should I just have directional only?

Ooh, yes please! I just find the rotating option somewhat of a pain and tends to detract away from some games that I would say that without that control mechanism would be top-notch. Though you could leave it as an option, but default to the directional mechanism so that you don't have to keep changing it.

Ooh, yes please! I just find the rotating option somewhat of a pain and tends to detract away from some games that I would say that without that control mechanism would be top-notch. Though you could leave it as an option, but default to the directional mechanism so that you don't have to keep changing it.

ok, I'll go with that :) That's the best idea I think to default to directional and have the two controls as a menu option.

Cheers Tezz! It's nice to know that I can give some input into a release, even if it isn't technical expertise!

Can I ask, with regards to the code, is it in a form whereby it could be quite easily adapted to produce other (similar but different) games?

I do look at the Spectrum in awe at some of it's isometric games and I believe that if there was a common engine (complying with certain rules), I can't see why the Atari can't compete on that front.

Can I ask, with regards to the code, is it in a form whereby it could be quite easily adapted to produce other (similar but different) games?

I do look at the Spectrum in awe at some of it's isometric games and I believe that if there was a common engine (complying with certain rules), I can't see why the Atari can't compete on that front.

Yes absolutely we could have more isometric games, I would take what I've learnt from the methods employed though and write my own.

• 2 months later...