IGNORED

How can I play Japanese games on my PS2?...

ataridave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Once you get your console "modded" with Free MCboot make sure you check out Open PS2 Loader.

OPL will let you stream PS2 games over your network via Samba shares. This means no more burning discs or messing with installing games on a PS2 hard drive ever again. I've been on a Hokuto No Ken kick recently and been enjoying the Japanese only release of Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sousousei Kengo Retsuden immensely via OPL and its awesome network streaming ability.

Check out Final Fantasy XIII International as well; works great on OPL via network streaming. OPL will also let you install games on a PS2 hard drive but network streaming is where OPL really shines IMO.

Edited by guy767

Most games will work fine but I did encounter some video stuttering with Shadow Hearts 3; nothing too bad though.

I looked for an alternative way to play PS2 games when my installed hard drive made this horrible loud popping sound while I was playing Front Mission 5. It sounded like someone shot my PS2; scared the hell out of me.

I've been using OPL for over 6 months now and simply love it. I will never go back to installed hard drives again; too terrified :lol:

Edited by guy767

The model# is SCPH-90001, and I'd REALLY love to be able to play Japanese imports on it, but I do NOT want to try modding it myself. Any suggestions for this particular model# of PS2 would be really helpful.

You may not even be able to use Free MCBoot, they patched the exploit it uses in later PS2 models.