IGNORED

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

So I got the new Deus Ex game in the mail the other day and WOW! I spent a few hours playing today and was floored by how fun it was. If anyone else has it pop in and give your 2 cents. :P

Did you know that our very own Albert was one of the creators of the original (and utterly amazing) Deus Ex?

It's true: My link

You have played the original, haven't you?

So I got the new Deus Ex game in the mail the other day and WOW! I spent a few hours playing today and was floored by how fun it was. If anyone else has it pop in and give your 2 cents. :P

Did you know that our very own Albert was one of the creators of the original (and utterly amazing) Deus Ex?

It's true: My link

You have played the original, haven't you?

Wow I didn't know that. :P

I've played a little of it once on a friends computer.

I want to get it but it doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 7, and since a number of my games aren't I'm going to look into duel booting OS' on my new computer once I build it so I can run older games no problem.

I want to get it but it doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 7, and since a number of my games aren't I'm going to look into duel booting OS' on my new computer once I build it so I can run older games no problem.

Have you tried Dosbox?

Have you tried Dosbox?

For a Windows game? Just look into patches / compatibility mode settings / etc.

Have you tried Dosbox?

For a Windows game? Just look into patches / compatibility mode settings / etc.

I've never heard of dosbox. I can imagine what it is though with a name like that. :P I've run things like that before. I have a program called ScummVM that lets me run the old scumm engine Lucas Arts point and click games on windows(never tried it on 7 only XP).

I never looked to deeply into patches or settings to allow it to run, when I looked into buying it on Steam I saw it mentioned possibly compatibility issues and since I wasn't to familiar with how steam worked in relation to those sort of things I gave up for the time being figuring it would be easier to duel boot. IDK I'll look into it more once my new computer is built. I'd love to play the original, I loved Invisible War and I know thats supposed to not even hold a candle to the original.

i was interested at first but then watched some gameplay vids,i almost fell asleep during them. i think i'm beyond utterly burnt out on any game involving guns, no matter how good it may be. i see that 1st person perspective with a hand holding a gun and totally zone out.

it may be a great game but i'll never play it.

Edited by xg4bx

I am loving the game right now, but I always play the Deus Ex games as stealth and conversation. I just got the augmentation that allows me to read what type of personality the characters is, and then use Pheromones to influence them. So far, the game is a blast! LOVING it!

i was interested at first but then watched some gameplay vids,i almost fell asleep during them. i think i'm beyond utterly burnt out on any game involving guns, no matter how good it may be. i see that 1st person perspective with a hand holding a gun and totally zone out.

it may be a great game but i'll never play it.

Could always play it without killing people and going stealth. Thats what I did at least for the first major mission, I decided I wasn't going to kill one person and I didn't was a total pain in the ass but it was a blast especially since I'm on the hardest difficulty. :cool:

Could always play it without killing people and going stealth. Thats what I did at least for the first major mission, I decided I wasn't going to kill one person and I didn't was a total pain in the ass but it was a blast especially since I'm on the hardest difficulty. :cool:

I've heard that you have to kill bosses, is that true?

I've always gone the stealth/dart gun route myself. ...and then finish everybody with a knife while they're down because that's just how I roll.

Edited by Reaperman

I've always gone the stealth/dart gun route myself. ...and then finish everybody with a knife while they're down because that's just how I roll.

Not on the first mission in the factory no. With him I had the option of attacking him or talking to him.

Having finished it, I can say it's one of the best games I've played in a while. I loved nearly every minute of the ~40 hours I spent with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's not perfect, but it far and away exceeded any expectations I had for the game (especially in this day of increasingly mindless dumbed down gameplay) and does credit to the Deus Ex name and the truly legendary game that started it all.

Yes, you do.

Not on the first mission in the factory no. With him I had the option of attacking him or talking to him.

He's not a boss... ;)

Here's a couple gratuitous shots from my time in game.

post-5887-0-78771200-1314898234_thumb.jpg post-5887-0-47408400-1314898276_thumb.jpg post-5887-0-73483000-1314898286_thumb.jpg

My favorite MO in the first game was to sneak up behind a live enemy. Spray them in the face with pepper spray and then nail them a few times with the baton. I was a bit upset they removed that option from the second one. (which doesn't hold a candle to the first IMO)

How does the new game compare to the other two? Also did they bring back pepper spray!?

I keep leaning farther and farther toward getting this one sooner rather than later.

How's the ammo system? Is it weapon-specific, or "generic engergy cell"?

How about that dart gun? It's still around, right?

Ammo is weapon specific. A stun gun, tranq rifle and crossbow are available in game.

How does the new game compare to the other two? Also did they bring back pepper spray!?

No they did not. IMHO it is better than Invisible War (which I still enjoyed despite the limitations) and compares very favorably to DX. It does have some modern game influences in it, and there are some questionable design choices but it grabbed a hold of me and I could not put it down.

Been playing EYE instead... it may be interpreted as a quirky poor man's Dues Ex. I wish they would crank out a demo for it just so you could get a feel for the interface before you buy. OTOH, it's a $20 steam title from a smaller dev house. The thing that annoys me the most though is that reinforcements can spawn on top of you, and they spawn everywhere. But the ability to co-op a side mission for in game money is nice -- especially since it, the xp, and pickups carry over to your single player game. But you will die. A lot. I find it to be a pretty challenging game overall. Not something I'd outright recommend, because there are things that are not intuitive, but not a bad title.

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/

Hex.

[ Coffee for the coffee god! Grounds for the ground throne! ]

Having finished it, I can say it's one of the best games I've played in a while. I loved nearly every minute of the ~40 hours I spent with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's not perfect, but it far and away exceeded any expectations I had for the game (especially in this day of increasingly mindless dumbed down gameplay) and does credit to the Deus Ex name and the truly legendary game that started it all.

Yes, you do.

He's not a boss... ;)

Here's a couple gratuitous shots from my time in game.

post-5887-0-78771200-1314898234_thumb.jpg post-5887-0-47408400-1314898276_thumb.jpg post-5887-0-73483000-1314898286_thumb.jpg

Those look amazing, what graphics card are you running?

I've been kinda hesitant about it, until one of my good friends told me that its worth playing. I haven't gotten it yet, its on the to do list.

I was pretty turned off because I played the 2nd one on PC, and it was a straight xbox convert. Up to and including, the xbox A button as enter, and configuring the controls to the xbox controller scheme.

I never did play the first one, I should being I heard it was absolutely amazing too.

Well I got the augmented edition on ps3 today. (yes, it breaks my Sony rule) So far, I just love it though. I sat down and before I knew it, I had played for a solid 8 hrs. It's a must-own game.

First reaction is that it feels like I never left. Great execution of the Deus Ex 'feel,' even though it's styled a bit differently in some areas. I do notice small changes/tweaks around the edges of the formula, that differ from past games.

•  
  • So far, the plot feels more structured, like the first game. No doubt I'll be able to pick a different side later, but Invisible War was kind of neat in that it totally opened up pretty much from the start. I liked having no strong attachments, or set direction. It feels like my character has already been molded in human revolution. He's got 'old friends' everywhere.
  • It feels as though more objects should be interactive. I know it's pointless to be able to move or throw a cup, but it feels odd that I can't. I wonder if explosions move them...
  • Lock picking appears gone--merged with hacking. I did like how lock picking and hacking sat next to each other, and a player really had to balance his skills/items in both for certain styles of play. Hacking is more complex, probably because of this, but why remove lock picking?
  • The cover system is one part of modern gaming that I didn't need to creep into deus ex at all. Luckily 'easy mode' makes it totally unnecessary. :thumbsup:
  • I knew it was coming, but I miss the Invisible War ammo system--it made it easier to develop a play style and stick with it. Non-lethal rounds (especially for the rifle) are hard to come by, and for some reason, Deus Ex employers only seem to issue ammo to their trained killing machines in the tutorial missions.

Overall, awesome game though, and I'm certainly going to ride it to the end. I'm actually shocked at how familiar it all feels. They nailed it. It's not like Fallout 3, which was great, but a different experience than previous titles.

Edited by Reaperman

I know this is a bit off topic, but I never played the eariler Deus Ex games and I'd like to check them out before I get this one -- everyone's strong marks on the gaame runs contrary to some bad reviews I read. What system has the 'best' version of the two eariler games and how much should I expect to pay?

Anybody have any tips on the second boss? The one in the basement of the TV station. I've got a couple solid bursts with the heavy rifle left, but then the silenced sniper rifle is my heaviest weapon. (It's got a laser site, so it's not totally useless) Just 2 emp grenades left. I don't have a cloak or typhoon, but I have enough points for a lower level of one of them. It seems silly to invest in the typhoon given how rare ammo is (I currently have 5 shots)

If I put all of my points into jump, can I get on top of those dividers, and does that get me anything?

The boss fights are pretty rough with the upgrade path I've chosen, and I'm not a huge fan of getting locked in a 1 on 1 arena fight with no cover. They're not really fair fights either, as they seem to have unlimited supplies of ammunition, and my melee attacks are totally useless.

Awesome game though. I'm not exactly sure where yesterday went, since I put in about 12hrs on Human Revolution.

edit: looking around, other sites have suggested...

using the typhoon or emp grenade/mine to knock her into stun and then just unload into her face with the heaviest weapon in inventory. They also mention more emp grenades in that room somewhere--I'll have to look next time. I did manage to knock her into stun a few times, but my instinct in that situation was to run and hide rather than attack (clearly I'm not cut out for 'boss fights'). If I emp grenade an already stunned enemy, I wonder if their stun counter resets.

Edited by Reaperman

Anybody have any tips on the second boss? The one in the basement of the TV station.

Also on the second boss.

Further reading suggests that she only has 3 shots with her typhoon, and sprinting past her while she's charging will cause her to overshoot enough to miss. Really she doesn't sound so tough on paper, but my strategy clearly needs to be modified to make boss fights work. There seems to be a locker full of emp mines in the area as well

EMP resistance upgrade on dermal armor seems to be the easiest way not to bother with any of this strategy.

Edited by Reaperman

edit: looking around, other sites have suggested...

using the typhoon or emp grenade/mine to knock her into stun and then just unload into her face with the heaviest weapon in inventory. They also mention more emp grenades in that room somewhere--I'll have to look next time. I did manage to knock her into stun a few times, but my instinct in that situation was to run and hide rather than attack (clearly I'm not cut out for 'boss fights'). If I emp grenade an already stunned enemy, I wonder if their stun counter resets.

Yeah I just sprinted around a bit, popped some healing and heavy gunned her face off.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I never played the eariler Deus Ex games and I'd like to check them out before I get this one -- everyone's strong marks on the gaame runs contrary to some bad reviews I read. What system has the 'best' version of the two eariler games and how much should I expect to pay?

Windows.