IGNORED

Marbled

pseudografx

Let me proudly introduce you to our newest production called Marbled.

We did it for ABBUC Software Contest 2011 and we hope that it will get some positive feedback.

The game is of puzzle type and the objective is to get a marble to the exit tile by exchanging various tiles in order to create a path. During a level, the marble has to collect all diamonds.

Note that we cannot release the game before the contest results are announced so please be patient :)

post-6830-0-72230700-1314829154_thumb.png

Requirements:

The game runs on a stock Atari 8-bit computer with 64 kBytes of RAM and a joystick. It was tested on PAL 800XL/XE models. It may work on NTSC machines with some glitches but we did not do any testing regarding NTSC compatibility because of lack of time.

post-6830-0-10629400-1314829163_thumb.png post-6830-0-37170800-1314829171_thumb.png post-6830-0-62159500-1314829178_thumb.png

Credits:

Code by Marek Pavlík (MaPa)

Ingame graphics, game design, and documentation by Zdeněk Eisenhammer (PG)

Music and sound effects by Michal Szpilowski (Miker)

Additional betatesting by František Houra (Fandal) and Robert Petružela (Bob!k)

Game video:

Interesting facts:

• The game is a conversion of a PC game „Marbles Deluxe“ made by RL Vision in 2001, which is actually a conversion of an old Amiga game Marbles released in 1991.
  • The development started in March 2011, with some long interruptions. The game was finished just on the day of ABBUC Contest deadline.
  • There are 92 levels in the game.
  • The game features a unique password system that includes player's score so that you can start where you left off even if you have turned off your computer in the meantime.

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ok I have to ask ... how did you do the graphics in this game? This looks like ANTIC 4 mode but with extra colors ... it looks like Super IRG 2 but with no flickering.

Terrific effort!

SIMPLE ANTIC4 with DLIs.:

-> BACKGR.- Black

-> PF0- White

-> PF1- Light Gray

-> PF2- DLIS. of Lilac/Purple

-> PF3- DLIs. of Greens

-> P0&P1 Multicolour 3Reds on the Ball

-> P2&P3 Yellow on the cursor Box

Bottom Status Area Hi-Resolution:

-> DLIs. of the 4Missiles as 5th Player on the sides Yellow/Brown 4Missiles/4side's Lines

-> Players overlays with DLIs. to get those Rainbow colours/luminances effects on the Score Numbers.

They are really very good Artists and had a great idea, the Gfxs. are so well done and small that seems more colours when they aren't...

Really very good, really clever ;)

Great work.

:thumbsup:

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Looks very polished. A suggestion for next year would be a port of Spherical from the ST - a ball movement type game :)

Hmm .. you mean the "Solomon's Key" type of game:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/spherical/screenshots

or there was another one?

Don't know how much time it will take, but probably something can be on the way ;) ...

post-6517-0-39097200-1314908227_thumb.png

post-6517-0-15104200-1314908232_thumb.png

post-6517-0-15930400-1314908239_thumb.png

post-6517-0-95409200-1314908698_thumb.png

post-6517-0-20743200-1314908254_thumb.png

:)

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Looks very polished. A suggestion for next year would be a port of Spherical from the ST - a ball movement type game :)

Hmm .. you mean the "Solomon's Key" type of game:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/spherical/screenshots

or there was another one?

Yup the screenshots are the one - I played the ST version. Is a fun and challenging game IMHO.

Hmm, looks as a great game. I have question to other authors participed in Abbuc Software Contest 2011 - can you show us your games, programs? I'm very interested to check, what we can look at this year? Any preview is possible? (I know, no xex allowed, but some screenshots, maybe short movie)? Please...

Edited by Sikor

Game video:

Interesting facts:

• The game is a conversion of a PC game „Marbles Deluxe“ made by RL Vision in 2001, which is actually a conversion of an old Amiga game Marbles released in 1991.
  • The development started in March 2011, with some long interruptions. The game was finished just on the day of ABBUC Contest deadline.
  • There are 92 levels in the game.
  • The game features a unique password system that includes player's score so that you can start where you left off even if you have turned off your computer in the meantime.

...When I see stuff like this, I feel (usually) sort of discouraged and perplexed, at the same time...

Discouraged because by simply looking at the design, screen-plays, grafx. implementations, I immediately realize HOW F-LONG WAY I still have to go/learn about these tiny 8-bit machines... And then perplexed, because I find AMAZING / UNBELIEVABLE that there are still CREWS of folks, out there, devoting some of of their best "neurons" in making stuff like this happening (and so far away from Atari's "home land")... and all of this after 20-25 years of these machines commercially gone...

...Bit-for-bit, all-in-all, the game looks simple, engaging and gorgeous (in Atari 8bit-terms). I do hope that an NTSC-tuned version is considered.

Looking forward to this new title!

F.

• Like 1