IGNORED

Thinking about getting a Bally Astrocade....

GameGirl420

And incidentally, I've seen a few.

You've seen a few Astrocades in a new condition complete with box, shipping box, manual etc.? I've seen quite a few Astrocades on eBay in the last two years, but no other one in such a condition.

I can't speak for BassGuitari, but I have seen more than one system for sale complete with shipping box and paperwork in past few years myself. They are not that uncommon. And many times the ones with the shipping box turn out to be in pristine condition.

But honestly, the Bally Computer System model is the most common model out there (I had not looked at the auction until now) so it's really hard for me to justify laying out that kind of money for that model. Having roughly 12 consoles at this point, maybe I can be a little more picky than the average Bally collector, but if you saw something you wanted and and were willing to pay that much for it, more power to you.

The bottom line is its a great system to get your hands on, no matter the cost, so anyone who is looking for one should go out and get one.

Just do your due diligence first.

As a collector you can't foresee the market. You have two options, buy it or hope to get the item in the same condition cheaper anytime soon. It can happen that the same seller lists an other 10 consoles and the price drops to $100, or it can happen that you have to wait 2 years for the next chance and then have to pay $500.

In this case I've decided to buy it and I haven't regretted the decision so far.

Overall I think the Astrocade for whatever reason didn't get a lot of attention back then and also not today. I truly can not understand why some SNES games sell for $2,000 (eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3207348912571?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320734891257&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]) but a console like the Astrocade doesn't get much love.

Overall I think the Astrocade for whatever reason didn't get a lot of attention back then and also not today. I truly can not understand why some SNES games sell for $2,000 (eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3207348912571?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320734891257&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]) but a console like the Astrocade doesn't get much love.

I think if the Astrocade had gotten more third party support and more mainstream games, it would have. It had the best controllers of any console at that time, and I think one of the best console designs around (the cartridge bay was brilliant).

The sound is near spot on in many of the arcade ports, being very close to the arcade version.

Sharing its mainboard design with Bally's arcade boards didn't hurt either. Its just too bad they didn't enable more of the arcade board features like their higher resolution.

Had they, I don't think the other consoles could have touched it, even the ColecoVision or Atari 5200.

If you haven't picked up War yet or Crazy Climber, you should. Michael Garber, the programmer, is pretty damn good at what he does with the system.

Oh, and as far as not getting much love, well, I think things are looking up for the Astrocade.

You'll just have to wait and see.

I'd love to have a Bally Astrocade in my collection soon but why are they so expensive?? Just wondering what the good games are for it too. Almost got one on Ebay but the auction went too high.

I think I may have already posted a topic similar to this but kinda lazy to dig for it. Plus I really like to hear more about this.

I'd also like to have an Astrocade but like what you have seen they are out of reach because of the selling price.

I've tried out some games in emulation and I like it. The Galaxian clone is a lot of fun - less aliens but a fast shooter.

I got mine brand new for $366 in June. A new Atari 2600 sells about for the same price, so I don't think the Astrocade is really expensive.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1107016774481?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110701677448&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

$366 for ANY video game system is expensive.

SO why is it soo expensive??? :ponder: Is the system itself rare? Or is it because it's collectable and has hostoric value like the Magnavox Odyssey 1? I dunno,but for that kind of money , I think I'd rather get a Neo Geo AES first.

I'd be lucky to get one of these neat looking Astrocades for cheap.

SO why is it soo expensive??? :ponder: Is the system itself rare? Or is it because it's collectable and has hostoric value like the Magnavox Odyssey 1? I dunno,but for that kind of money , I think I'd rather get a Neo Geo AES first.

I'd be lucky to get one of these neat looking Astrocades for cheap.

IGNORE that price, you can get them for much less and still in good condition. Just seach eBay there are quite a few for sale right now (using Bally Professional Arcade, Astrocade or even Bally Astrocade).

Oh, and by the way, finding a new in box Neo Geo would easily run you over $1,000.00...and that would be cheap...

There should be an investigation into all these sealed Astrocade games on eBay. Where the hell are they coming from? They're listed on there all the time.

There is one guy that has a whole shed full of them, he's the seller that sells six sealed games in one lot. Guy's shed must be a TARDIS or something cause I thought I had bought his whole inventory a while back, but he keeps coming back with more.

Keep in mind this system was originally sold by Bally, which back in the day was bigger than Atari, so its not that suprising to see sealed games. Plus when Astrovision bought the rights to the system I beleive they aquired their inventory as well, and for a while they were pushing the system pretty good (you can even find some Astrocade TV ads on youtube).

• 2 weeks later...

Whom ever finds out please post contact info here or PM. The AA member who said they could make one wouldn't give me a straight answer, whether or not he would make one if/when I can afford it. Frankly left me feeling like I should just sell the bugger and forget fixing it. I'd like to experience it other than just through youtubes.

AX

AX-

I contacted Ken Lill and he stated anyone interested in his UltiMulti cartridge or Bally/Astrocade repairs should contact him directly at kenzre@yahoo.com