IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Someone is designing a segmented display for his Genesis at sega-16, a place on the board for the hardware fgor such a mod would be excellent for this project. Not the displays themselves, but traces on the mainboard; maybe show the name of the game being played. Just a thought. Also maybe an LCD with a backlight, those names get pretty long (Wizard of Wor, 13 characters on a 7-seg display).

This isn't going to be a plug and play tv toy, this is a cartridge based system right from the get go, it will have a standard 7800 cartridge port (that accepts 2600) cartridge, I've already had new 7800 cartridge port guides made, I have 1,000 right now and can make as many more as necessary, I have db9 ports and I'm working on sourcing the 36 (32) pin cartridge connectors in large quantity too, so the ball is already rolling on this.

This'll be an FPGA product, so conceivable it could come with composite and VGA out if that'll satisfy everyone, the composite would be out through a scan converter with a select switch for PAL/NTSC output.

Joystick ports would either be on the front or back, most people are saying they want them on the front which is fine. The only thing I need to look into is the plexi/acrylic top design, but that should'nt be too big of a problem.

I would like to include a menu driven multicart and include 5-10 homebrew games to be included as a pack-in with the console. New 7800 plastic cartridge shells will be made available and I can get them done dirt cheap so homebrewers will be able to buy them for $1 for their games, I just need to see if there is a way to have a universal die cut down for 2600/7800 boxes and then homebrewers could submit their art and boxes could be run very inexpensive, and this will allow everyone to make boxed real games where the physical parts cost will be $3-5 dollars and they can make a good profit, bring out high quality games in boxed fashion and everyone will be happy.

post-23-0-82785500-1315160800_thumb.jpg

Curt

Maybe put the ports partially on but hide them, à la the cart port on the FB2?

Edited by Curt Vendel
  • Like 6

im estatic that this would be 2600 compatible. very cool. only way i would buy one.

take a regular computer keyboard.. that would blow my mind.

i read that someone is taking old nintendo computer code and making home computers for developing countries. kinda like the flashback, but with non-game software and a keyboard. i wish it was done with atari stuff..

This isn't going to be a plug and play tv toy, this is a cartridge based system right from the get go, it will have a standard 7800 cartridge port (that accepts 2600) cartridge, I've already had new 7800 cartridge port guides made, I have 1,000 right now and can make as many more as necessary, I have db9 ports and I'm working on sourcing the 36 (32) pin cartridge connectors in large quantity too, so the ball is already rolling on this.

This'll be an FPGA product, so conceivable it could come with composite and VGA out if that'll satisfy everyone, the composite would be out through a scan converter with a select switch for PAL/NTSC output.

Joystick ports would either be on the front or back, most people are saying they want them on the front which is fine. The only thing I need to look into is the plexi/acrylic top design, but that should'nt be too big of a problem.

I would like to include a menu driven multicart and include 5-10 homebrew games to be included as a pack-in with the console. New 7800 plastic cartridge shells will be made available and I can get them done dirt cheap so homebrewers will be able to buy them for $1 for their games, I just need to see if there is a way to have a universal die cut down for 2600/7800 boxes and then homebrewers could submit their art and boxes could be run very inexpensive, and this will allow everyone to make boxed real games where the physical parts cost will be $3-5 dollars and they can make a good profit, bring out high quality games in boxed fashion and everyone will be happy.

post-23-0-82785500-1315160800_thumb.jpg

Curt

Maybe put the ports partially on but hide them, à la the cart port on the FB2?

This sounds amazing what is the time frame on prototypes being put out for testing or heck even for pictures :D

Right now putting feelers out, I've taken a lot that I've learned from the 7800XM to not make the same mistakes, but now I've built a good network for manufacturing and I'm in talks with several people to build a team to join in on this, maybe work could start in mid Oct, the controllers will be the first things to start and finish since people will all want those and they'll also be the new "Classic II" USB controllers as well because so many gave asked for USB paddles, so this will be the next joystick and paddle solution.

• Like 3

I know everybody's going to keep adding their "wish lists" of features to this, to the point that it gets ridiculous. I think it's all interesting, and no matter what gets produced, it's going to be!

But I'd settle for a brand new 2600 with beautiful composite and S-video. If the case is too expensive, design a new board to fit in an old 2600 case, with a paper template to tape on your case that says "drill 1/2" hole here" for the video output.

Glad to see this interest in the new console! Go, Curt!

As cool as a "reissued" 2600jr. would be, I voted 3200 across the board on the basis that the possibility of something resembling Atari prototypes/vaporware would be even cooler. :cool: As others have said, we've all seen 2600jr.s, and they're not hard to find or very expensive to purchase, so why not go for something new? Besides, the 3200 looks slick as shit. :D

I'd be happy as a clam if ANY Atari console were "reissued" (like the heavy sixer), but it's just as well to do one we've basically never seen or experienced before, or would have any possibility of doing so.

As far as the location of the joystick ports is concerned, I'd prefer they be located where they would be on an actual 3200 (back?). But I certainly won't get bent out of shape if they aren't.

:)

Curt, is there an anticipated price for this project? I think this would make a great console but the price point would make the difference between some people saying, 'it's neat but not worth it' and 'it's a must have'. The idea of a pack in is simply amazing... especially if there are a selection of homebrews on it!

One other thing Curt, with the way you are talking to Homebrewers in this thread... having fully boxed games possible and more economically reminds me of the genesis of computer gaming. (Buying a computer game that shipped in a ziplock baggie with photocopied instructions that grew into full retail products) This time, it's the homebrewers who can get their game published and with box and instructions in a professional package... sounds very exciting!

I voted for the 3200 case, since it looks real slick and would be a nice change from the 7800 (which is pretty good-looking regardless). Personally I'd rather have RGB than VGA since I use a Sony RGB monitor and being able to play 2600 and 7800 games through RGB would be a blast. Composite and S-video would be nice as well. I also voted for a CX-40-style joystick, but a 3200-style stick would be nice too since it would match the new case.