IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I would go for the 2600 jr size just so it does not take up as much space with my other systems. Is there a Legacy Engineering logo? Put that on. You guys deserve the credit anyway.

Probably the wrong place, but here is my crazy dream, a combo console/portable system. Their is a console base and a portable base. The cartridge ports are on the bases. The console base has all the normal switches and ports you would expect . The portable has the screen and controllers built in just like any Ben Heck unit. The three basic chips are enclosed in a plastic case can be unplugged from the console base and plugged into the portable base just like you attach in a laptop battery. Sure the portable would be a bit bigger, but I would think the footprint would be smaller than today's tablets. Just trying to think outside the box.

I voted 3200 and really dont have much in way of suggestions most have been mentioned long as the output isn't RF or RF only I'm good. And the Combo controllers are a great idea Hope they will be available as a separate purchase also Even when this becomes apart of my collection I'll still use my othe Atari 2600/7800 consoles and not having to switch out the joysticks and paddles would be great. Save wear and tear on the ports

Tracy Morgan sums up my thoughts on this succinctly:

"I'd take this 3200 behind a middle school and get it pregnant."

Yes please.

WTF :rolling: wow that made my night. Actually I think it would be freaking awesome for the 3200 to be a 2600/5200/7800 all in one, but if I could get a newer 2600/7800 I would be happy as well.

Curt you're... just the best.

Also, since I, like many people here on this board, have never actually seen a 3200, what is it's size like? I'd prefer it not be too girthy - something I like about the junior model. But hey, I'll probably buy it either way :)

There is a link in Curt's first post. Check it out....I personally dig the look of it.

Couple of Comments.

CX40 controllers with two buttons would be a bit unwieldy if you ask me. It works great for one button play, but where would you put button two? The System X controllers look to be a bit better than the Prolines ergonomically.

I like the 3200 form factor, but the 2600jr's cheaper manufacturing costs are worthwhile pursuing for such a project, given that we have no idea of the market size. Appearance-wise it would also be a bit more identifiable with the Atari brand than the 3200 is (even with not calling it "atari"). Given that a selling point is its 7800/2600 compatibility, that visual similarity would be valuable.

In terms of video, I'm assuming that component or HDMI are just too cost prohibitive to consider.

I do not have a problem with buying such a product without the Atari name, but a chief selling point would be that compatibility factor, so without it, you lose a major selling point. I suppose you could do box art that implies compatibility like the Coleco Gemini did. I assume carts will be made to work with it.

I dont know...

while i like the retro look i also like these consoles in a new design like the one chip msx...

would you buy this console if it had a more modern look?

also can i add my vote for way better video output...the 7800 has great games but on an lcd the colors are awful and just look washed out.

If curt can deliver a modern console that i can plug into a modern tv etc and get a great picture then i am in.

I dont know...

while i like the retro look i also like these consoles in a new design like the one chip msx...

would you buy this console if it had a more modern look?

also can i add my vote for way better video output...the 7800 has great games but on an lcd the colors are awful and just look washed out.

If curt can deliver a modern console that i can plug into a modern tv etc and get a great picture then i am in.

also assuming that as it is FPGA you could reflash the system if bugs were found etc.

lastly would it have enhancements over the original 7800 such as new video modes?

I voted for the Atari 3200 options.

And I assume you must be talking about Activision. I'm surprised they'd even consider something like this with the CEO's preoccupation on Call of Duty and only considering projects that offer a chance for a similar financial performance and ability to annualize their releases.

I also hope you do more than just place a composite port on it. While something like component might be overkill (Although I'm sure many of us would love it), I think s-video at the very least should be included. Or least make it easy to modify down the road like the cartridge slot modification for the FB2 was.

I'd love good wireless controllers. But I assume that would come at the expense of original joystick ports. I'm not sure I'd want to lose things like Star Raiders and Indy 500, or be forced to use just the wireless controllers included with this (That could be a real hassle for the longevity of this thing).

I'd like wireless, but only if it didn't come at the expense of the joystick ports for compatibility and the ease of replacing the included controllers down the road with existing Atari accessories.

Edited by Atariboy

I also hope you do more than just place a composite port on it. While something like component might be overkill (Although I'm sure many of us would love it), I think s-video at the very least should be included. Or least make it easy to modify down the road like the cartridge slot modification for the FB2 was.

Oh yeah, good point. At least allow the chip to output seperate chroma & luma, hopefully to nice fat (labeled?) soldering pads for easy modding.

90% of new model TV's no long have S-video ports. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and quite a few others have unceremoniously dumped S-Video, in favor of composite as the legacy video connection of choice. In fact, it's been that way for a few years now.

90% of new model TV's no long have S-video ports. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and quite a few others have unceremoniously dumped S-Video, in favor of composite as the legacy video connection of choice. In fact, it's been that way for a few years now.

Plug an Atari console into a modern TV? Disgusting!

That's why I praise my SHARP so much :) Good TVs and failure to conform to the negative. Even their old tube TVs lasted a long time.

I sort of like the design of the 3200, but I hope it won't be the glossy acrylic like the original 5200. Glossy plastic is absolutely impossible to keep in good condition, especially a game console where people tend to just plunk the controllers down on top of the case.

I'd also like to suggest that a way be found to add remote functions like Pause and Reset to the controller.

Still, very exciting!