IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Would you like a quarterly newsletter/mag of sorts for this hypothetical console? A user/fan mag sort of like the original AtariAge was for Atari's consoles?

As long as there is a healthy dose of homebrew

Seconded.

Third (. . . Thirded?) It would also be neat to document the current homebrews that are in progress and get upgrades from the developers for each one as well.

Would you like a quarterly newsletter/mag of sorts for this hypothetical console? A user/fan mag sort of like the original AtariAge was for Atari's consoles?

As long as there is a healthy dose of homebrew

I can't think of a reason to have a mag UNLESS it focused on homebrew. We're all well-aware of the vintage games, a new mag should focus on new games.

I'm assuming a publication of this kind would be distributed online only?

I can't think of a reason to have a mag UNLESS it focused on homebrew. We're all well-aware of the vintage games, a new mag should focus on new games.

You could have interviews with game programmers, company histories, rarity guides, charts, reviews (of old and new games), high scores, contests, hints/tips, tutorials on programming/artwork/sound for technical content, bB game of the quarter, obligatory letters page, tons of stuff ;).

It would be a nice bonus, but my main concern would be whether there would be enough sustained homebrew activity to keep such a publication afloat, especially in the beginning.

If you included "Making of ...", reviews and homebrew developer interviews you could go for a while. As soon as you started scraping the barrel for content it should just come to an end gracefully. If its a quarterly you could probably do 8 issues and maybe more. It would depend on how many pages that you'd need to fill. With some titles to go at launch there would be a couple of editions right there.

It would be a nice bonus, but my main concern would be whether there would be enough sustained homebrew activity to keep such a publication afloat, especially in the beginning.

If you included "Making of ...", reviews and homebrew developer interviews you could go for a while. As soon as you started scraping the barrel for content it should just come to an end gracefully. If its a quarterly you could probably do 8 issues and maybe more. It would depend on how many pages that you'd need to fill. With some titles to go at launch there would be a couple of editions right there.

So long as the console is 2600 compatible, and there are new 2600 games being made, I don't see too much of an issue with having new material. Homebrew 7800 games would be icing.

And to be clear... I wasn't condemning the idea of featuring older games, just saying that they've been covered before, and that the new magazine would be a unique opportunity to present the FauxTari as a current-gen system... something which hasn't been possible for at least 20 years.

I don't want to pry, but I'm intrigued as to what "very well known video game company" this could be. I have two or three semi-educated guesses, but I'll keep them to myself.

Am I the only one who's been assuming that the same company that released that USB Atari joystick was doing this?

The thought occurred to me today... what would happen if one were to put an XM on top of this new 7800+XM machine?

It would kill you.

The internal power would surpass Blast Processing and Nintendo Power and eclipse even the most hearty Sony and Microsoft fan-- whales would fly and the sun would go dark-- don't go there :)

• Like 2

The thought occurred to me today... what would happen if one were to put an XM on top of this new 7800+XM machine?

It would kill you.

The internal power would surpass Blast Processing and Nintendo Power and eclipse even the most hearty Sony and Microsoft fan-- whales would fly and the sun would go dark-- don't go there :)

This is madness.....

Just to add a question to the original to keep the convo going:

One hundred ten percent "Heck yeah!" I'd love a new Atari-related magazine.

It would kill you.

Stop, you're going to make Ralph Nader recall this thing before it ever sees the light of day!