IGNORED

New Atari Compatible Console & Controllers

Curt Vendel

New Atari 2600/7800 - which would you choose?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Style would you choose?

• Housed in the 2600Jr case, but with Composite output
    • Housed in the Atari 3200 "System X" case with Composite output
  2. 2. New Atari compatible Controllers - what type?

• Atari CX40 styled, but with 2 buttons
    • Atari 3200 "System X" combo joystick/paddles with 2 buttons
    • Atari 7800 Proline joysticks
  3. 3. Console Brand - Would you buy it if it wasn't an Atari brand name console?

• Yes - its the product, not the name
    • No - if it doesn't say Atari on it, I won't buy it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I picked 3200 case, 2600 joystick with two buttons, and don't care about the name.

The case is important to me because it would be something new. It could really differentiate itself from the other Atari systems while also being very Atari-like and also a resurrection of a scrapped Atari product all in one. Using that case would be like using the Neptune case if somebody actually made a Genesis/32X hybrid.

I picked the 2600 joystick with the two buttons because I think it would work well as long as the buttons are placed right next to each other. I'm not interested at all in having buttons on two different sides of the joystick, so the 3200 joystick is out. And the 7800 Proline joysticks? :rolling:

I don't care about the brand name as long as it works. The less compatibility problems, the better.

And as an aside, PLEASE use front mounted controller ports. I'll still buy it if the ports are rear mounted, but that would be annoying.

• Like 1

Here's another crazy idea. Since people can't seem to agree on the format of the AV outs, make it a multi AV out and use a Nintendo SNES/N64 connector to do it. They are cheap, super easy to find, and you would have a choice of RF, Composite and S-video all in one.

this is an idea i like - using an existing cable set. but i vote for Playstation Av cables, these are easy to find, cheap and available in s-video, composite, component and Rf

• Like 1

Here's another crazy idea. Since people can't seem to agree on the format of the AV outs, make it a multi AV out and use a Nintendo SNES/N64 connector to do it. They are cheap, super easy to find, and you would have a choice of RF, Composite and S-video all in one.

this is an idea i like - using an existing cable set. but i vote for Playstation Av cables, these are easy to find, cheap and available in s-video, composite, component and Rf

That'd be a great extra option, though I'd still want to see at least a standard composite & stereo output on the back without requiring specialized cables.

I had an addon for gba which output on psx cables. Worked great.

If the connectors are hard to source, it might be cost saving to have a jaguar-like edge connector right on the main board for 'advanced' users. 'normal' customers wouldn't even have to know about it. Knock/cut out a carefully designed piece of the rear case, and slide on the 'legacy engineering advanced AV cable' upgrade of choice. the 7800 upgrade supports stuff like sio and keyboard (right?), so hell, put that all back there on the edge connector too--we'll just buy/make the needed cable.

We all want really fancy systems, but the common public probably wants something cheap and easy--I think that a certain degree of 'do it yourself' is allowable. I'm pretty excited about this console really. I haven't video modded any of my __00 consoles, and their lack of composite (or better) means that I've remained exclusively an A8 fan, and have never given the consoles the chance that they really should have had.

Edited by Reaperman

That'd be a great extra option, though I'd still want to see at least a standard composite & stereo output on the back without requiring specialized cables.

Playstation cables have been in use for the last 3 game generations, many 3rd partys make them and they are very easy to find as cheap or as expensive as you want. and in many different formats.

PS2 - av connector

Playstation scart connector

Playstation composite

Playstation s video

Playstation RF

playstation VGA

I had an addon for gba which output on psx cables. Worked great. If the connectors are hard to source, it might be cost saving to have a jaguar-like edge connector right on the main board for 'advanced' users.

this could be done - but in my opinion jaguar connectors are less common then playstation connectors

I had an addon for gba which output on psx cables. Worked great. If the connectors are hard to source, it might be cost saving to have a jaguar-like edge connector right on the main board for 'advanced' users.

this could be done - but in my opinion jaguar connectors are less common then playstation connectors

I didn't really even mean using the jaguar pinout--just the inexpensive/simple execution of addon connectors. Though I confess it would add convenience to 'happen' to use jag a/v accessories, and maybe provide an excuse to make a run of jag-compatible s-vid cables.

And what am I doing suggesting that something the jag ever did was a good idea anyway?--it's so unlike me. :D

Edited by Reaperman

I'd avoid using proprietary anything for the system A/V connectors, to be honest. The common Nintendo A/V cable has been superceded by whatever they used on the Wii, so I don't expect Nintendo makes them anymore, and who knows how long 3rd party makers will continue to sell them.

The same goes for the Sony cable, only even more so since I refuse to give Sony any more of my money.

Basically, if I can't drop $5-10 at Radio Hack and get myself a cable that can be used on the system, AND on anything else that uses "standard" ports (Composite/Component/S-Video), I'm not interested.

I'd avoid using proprietary anything for the system A/V connectors, to be honest. The common Nintendo A/V cable has been superceded by whatever they used on the Wii, so I don't expect Nintendo makes them anymore, and who knows how long 3rd party makers will continue to sell them.

The same goes for the Sony cable, only even more so since I refuse to give Sony any more of my money.

Basically, if I can't drop $5-10 at Radio Hack and get myself a cable that can be used on the system, AND on anything else that uses "standard" ports (Composite/Component/S-Video), I'm not interested.

I have to second this. I do not want to have to track down special cables. I'd rather just use regular cables I can use with my VCR or something.

Dang, I should have thought of the PS cables, that's a great idea!

To those that have an issue with using proprietary cables, I have to ask. What was the last system you can think of that DIDN'T use some sort of special AV cable, the NES? I'm just trying to think of a way that would make everyone happy and give you a choice. The PS1-2-3 cable would be ideal if it were possible.

Of course, it's not like it's even up to us really. :ponder:

most consoles are sold with an av adapter included.

i think using an existing, established av cable connector format makes sense. if the console ships with only the most standard connecter (Composite) someone will ask for component or s-video or RF.

Or they could just put regular jacks on the back of the console and not risk it.

To those that have an issue with using proprietary cables, I have to ask. What was the last system you can think of that DIDN'T use some sort of special AV cable, the NES?

thinking of systems with composite or s-vid jacks,

3do, neo geo cd, one flavor of ps1, nuon--I'm sure there are a lot more, but nothing terribly recent unless you count the HDMI on current systems, the composite jacks on lame 'educational' systems, or the mini-jack-to-rca a lot of the chinese portables feature.

The only solution I'm really not a fan of, is the standard plug-and-play built-in composite cable. Which it's most likely going to feature. I guess if it really bugs me, I can cut it off and do my own.

Edited by Reaperman

To those that have an issue with using proprietary cables, I have to ask. What was the last system you can think of that DIDN'T use some sort of special AV cable, the NES? I'm just trying to think of a way that would make everyone happy and give you a choice. The PS1-2-3 cable would be ideal if it were possible.

My 3DO has composite & s-video right on the back. A friend's PS1 had composite right on the back.

My 3DO has composite & s-video right on the back. A friend's PS1 had composite right on the back.

i've never seen a ps1 with composite ports on the back - any pics?

if the console has composite cables - that's fine with me. i know s-video is a popular option, but none of my tv's have ever had s-video

i've never seen a ps1 with composite ports on the back - any pics?

if the console has composite cables - that's fine with me. i know s-video is a popular option, but none of my tv's have ever had s-video

The first model, SCPH 1001 included 'em thusly: 070604_2.jpg

S-video's popular because it looks almost as nice as component, but before component was really an option. It's the best connection you'll find on many older CRTs. It's also easily converted to composite - just connect the two pins with a $1.50 adapter. My 1080p LCD set doesn't have s-video, but my fat old korean CRT does. I wouldn't play Atari on an LCD anyways.

• Like 2

Of course, it's not like it's even up to us really. :ponder:

The manufacturers use the proprietary connections because they know they can then fleece most users for $20 or more easily for a "proper" cable. This is one of the sole reasons for the proprietary port, although I can imagine there is a justification of "reducing the port clutter".

The first model, SCPH 1001 included 'em thusly: 070604_2.jpg

I had one of those until a neighborhood power spike in 1997 took out all of the electronics on our block. When I sent it away for repair, Sony only partially fixed it so that only one channel of sound worked when it was returned 4 months later.

As I understand it, this model is the "audiophile" PSX because it offered better CD reproduction than many of the high-end CD players at the time or even many years later. Having composite audio outputs built-in made it perfect for plugging into a decent audio system. Of course, even if the audio is great, you still would have to use a PSX controller to navigate the CD... so eh...

Edited by akator

I've always wanted a 7800 and always held off on it to focus on getting more games for consoles I already own. Glad I've waited, that 3200 is damn sexy, and if this new console looks even remotely like it I'll love it(even if it looks nothing like it)! so when and where can we place preorders? :D

Edited by A_Locomotive