IGNORED

Colecovision Auction Watch

Rev

It is kinda-sorta specified as such in the listing. It wasn't on the listing prior to this (from another member) upon which the somewhat silly bidding for this specimen is based.

Yeah, the bidding on that one really did get out of hand especially with a Reserve Price of only $82.50. I also fully expected eBay to stop that auction and was very surprised to see it run it's coarse.

So what is the story behind this re-pro, other than the fact that it's insanely overpriced?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Hustler-CIB-Colecovision-Super-Rare-R9-Game-/281209591476

Nothing much to say about it. It's an unreleased prototype from 30 years ago. Some people found it, made a few carts, CollectorVision made a box for it, and voilà. :)

Incidently, this game is also a bonus game in Konami's Ping-Pong, published by Team Pixelboy (as Konami's Billiards).

• Like 1

Nothing much to say about it. It's an unreleased prototype from 30 years ago. Some people found it, made a few carts, CollectorVision made a box for it, and voilà. :)

Incidently, this game is also a bonus game in Konami's Ping-Pong, published by Team Pixelboy (as Konami's Billiards).

...and then certain folks bought up copies in order to resale, marked up the the price at least 5x and voila. You have this auction (or any other home brew auction from this seller).

• Like 1

That's a pretty hefty markdown which almost makes me want to buy, but what's the point when the rom file is available in the Homebrew Discussion forum absolutely free.

To my knowledge the rom file for the 32k Prototype is not available, and there is no plans of releasing it. JF would know for sure as far as releasing the rom and if it ever will be released. The rom file that is available is from the retail version of Mario Bros. You can see the differences in this You Tube video:

Edited by RelliK111

To my knowledge the rom file for the 32k Prototype is not available, and there is no plans of releasing it. JF would know for sure as far as releasing the rom and if it ever will be released. The rom file that is available is from the retail version of Mario Bros. You can see the differences in this You Tube video:

Sorry I'm still not clear on what the differences are - is it just the glitches?

Sorry I'm still not clear on what the differences are - is it just the glitches?

The difference is that this is the earliest playable version of the game. Its a Prototype so in this version there was no score system set up yet, no intros, collision was off, plus lots of other differences. The game wasn't finished and its more of a proof of concept item. You wouldn't ever play this version over the retail version, the 32k prototype is a piece of Colecovision homebrew history and I think its cool to see games in early form of development. The Rom file that was released by Collectorvision is the released version of the game.

Edited by RelliK111

^ Exactly. There is a line in which one side could be considered bragging rights and the other side would be everyone else laughing at you for paying a stupid price for something. This one crosses that line and keeps traveling a few miles.