IGNORED

Colecovision Auction Watch

Rev

Ok, one thing that has intrigued me since I joined the CV community is the sort of "sub culture" where once in a while a "prototype" of a homebrew is released into the market on purpose by the homebrewer with the idea that it will become not only an instant collectible, but also will immediately appreciate in value by a factor of, in this case, around 20,000%. I wish this was realistic but unfortunately it's not. Historically, prototypes are generally not released into the public for the sole purpose of creating collectibility, they are more often than not leaked into the market by accident, their value coming mostly from the fact that they were likely meant to be destroyed.

I can't think of any ColecoVision prototypes from the 80's that were released with the intention of creating a collectible. Heck, even a few of the released cartridges were never intended to be mass produced (i.e. CAT SOS). The release of homebrew prototypes for this purpose creates a false demand and seriously reduces the chances that these items will be of as much value 20 or 30 years from now.

Edit: I say all this as an owner of one such prototype :) But then again, I didn't pay $10K for it.

Edited by HkryCrkStudio
  • Like 1

Ok, one thing that has intrigued me since I joined the CV community is the sort of "sub culture" where once in a while a "prototype" of a homebrew is released into the market on purpose by the homebrewer with the idea that it will become not only an instant collectible, but also will immediately appreciate in value by a factor of, in this case, around 20,000%.

I'm pretty sure this marketed prototyping was begun as a means to fund future development efforts, then spun out from there into something quite odd, economically speaking.

EDIT: On second thought, I should just keep my opinions to myself about such things. Redact! Redact! Redact!

Edited by mumbai

Without these things being physically numbered (stamped onto the cart), there's no telling just how many homebrews are actually manufactured beyond what runs the developers claim. Personally I don't care about collectible monetary value of homebrews as these are meant to be made to enjoy by the retro gaming community and should have open-ended unlimited availability or made-on-demand. Unfortunately, like with everything else considered "collectible" (comic books, baseball cards, toys, etc.) you get people who try to capitalize off of something considered to be "rare" and artificially ascribe a monetary value to it with the intention of creating a demand.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure this marketed prototyping was begun as a means to fund future development efforts, then spun out from there into something quite odd, economically speaking.

Absolutely - actually I apologize for implying that the homebrewers were doing the outrageous markups and that's not the case at all, it happens after the prototypes enter the market. It's an excellent way for the developers to raise funds, albeit in a limited way. But I much prefer the way John Lester did it with Gamester81 The Video Game. He went through Indiegogo and offered several different carts and products, some of them autographed. I thought that was a brilliant way to fund his project.

To my knowledge the rom file for the 32k Prototype is not available, and there is no plans of releasing it. JF would know for sure as far as releasing the rom and if it ever will be released. The rom file that is available is from the retail version of Mario Bros. You can see the differences in this You Tube video:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/148178-mario-bros-colecovision-ready-to-ship/page-2

Post #31

• Like 4

Absolutely - actually I apologize for implying that the homebrewers were doing the outrageous markups and that's not the case at all, it happens after the prototypes enter the market. It's an excellent way for the developers to raise funds, albeit in a limited way. But I much prefer the way John Lester did it with Gamester81 The Video Game. He went through Indiegogo and offered several different carts and products, some of them autographed. I thought that was a brilliant way to fund his project.

He actually offered a personalized voice over on the limited release versions, which was really unique and cool.

Ooo a little over the top but wait, its the Global Shipping Program. Pass....

(The Ebay Canada user forum on the topic of I hate the Global Shipping Program is 215 pages long. Anybody listening at Ebay? Didnt think so.)

Edited by coleconut

To my knowledge the rom file for the 32k Prototype is not available, and there is no plans of releasing it. JF would know for sure as far as releasing the rom and if it ever will be released. The rom file that is available is from the retail version of Mario Bros. You can see the differences in this You Tube video:

The important point here is that Colecovision AND Beer are priceless!

happy.png