IGNORED

Colecovision Auction Watch

Rev

For sure, I agree that you don't ... I've paid outrageous prices for all things Colecovision as well .... I can see how you see this as a witch hunt ... I apologize for jumping to any unjustified conclusions....

As I said before I have the money and want the games even if it means run it up.I want them to play. I do pay up and soon. Look at my bid track record. You can also ask users on here who I have bought from. Last time I will respond to this bs. I am a new collector and wanna catch up.

For sure, I agree that you don't ... I've paid outrageous prices for all things Colecovision as well .... I can see how you see this as a witch hunt ... I apologize for jumping to any unjustified conclusions....

I also just want to say that in no way am I witch hunting the guy either, but I do disagree and question his bidding practices. If you look at the top sold ColecoVision auctions of lately, he has "run up" (to which he admitted to several times) quite a few of them, only to back out at the last moment to drop the item on the competing bidder. To me, that seems to be "shill bidding" and while I get that there is no rule against it, and NIAD is right that he's not doing anything different than many other people, that still doesn't mean I can't have an opinion against it.

Take a look:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=151828071526&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=161790336055&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=221854422332&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=161787623777&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

The fact still remains that the only auction of this type that he's "run up" that he's won is the auction where I figured out what he was doing and backed out of it before he could drop it on me:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=321839102336&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

I apologize if it sounds like I'm witch hunting or accusing him of anything, but really I'm not. I'm just simply pointing out some of his bidding practices so others here can watch out for it in case they too are bidding on an auction where the price is being "run up" by this guy. I fully agree with NIAD and what he said about how to bid, and that's exactly what I've been doing lately, and I thank you for that tip because it's worked great for me!

• Like 2

The first person that PMs me after the eBay auction is completed gets it!

Niad pm me about the fireman please.

Tisk, tisk, tisk... there is an etiquette to follow here and I will not discuss matters until after that eBay auction ends. As i stated, the first PM that I receive AFTER the auction ends is the person that I will deal with.

If you look at the top sold ColecoVision auctions of lately, he has "run up" quite a few of them, only to back out at the last moment to drop the item on the competing bidder.

I feel for you TPR because his bidding practices would drive me absolutely bonkers even though I wouldn't be throwing in my own max bid until the end. It is a very grey area between bad bidding practices and shill bidding because his bidding style does look like shill bidding, but it's hard to quantify whether he is doing so on purpose or duking it out one small bid at a time against other bidders until he himself reaches his max bid for the item.

If he hadn't paid some serious cash for a number of items, I would say he's guilty of shill bidding, but he has indeed paid and paid dearly in some cases, so I tend to think he is innocent of any wrong doing. Now, if it was found out that some of these auctions that he is bidding up was for a friend's item and he was helping his friend get top dollar, that's another story altogether.

One thing for sure, just be glad you weren't around a number of years ago when ColecoDan, ColecoNut, Jaymeister, ColecovisionZone and myself were having knock down, drag out auction brawls for this stuff! Talk about some guys with deep pockets and a lot of passion for all things ColecoVision. :-o

• Like 1

What's the difference between "running up" an auction and just hitting your bid limit?

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel like someone who "runs up" an auction doesn't really want it as bad as they are implying by their bids, they just want to see how high the price can get before dropping it on someone else. It's actually a very common real-life auction technique, and if you watch a show like Storage Wars, they do it to each other all the time to be spiteful. And both parties actually DO actually want the item to some extent, usually in these examples one more than the other, but one party is hoping to "drop" it on someone else at a higher price, but if it backfires on them and they end up with it, they are "ok" with that, too.

If he hadn't paid some serious cash for a number of items, I would say he's guilty of shill bidding, but he has indeed paid and paid dearly in some cases, so I tend to think he is innocent of any wrong doing.

I can only go by my gut feeling and the reason why I feel like he's been doing this is because the higher ticketed items he hasn't won, and if you look at the bids, there isn't any reason why he couldn't have won them, but it would appear that he backed out at the last minute to drop it on the other person. Usually that final bid is only a few dollars off from whatever the last bid this guy made probably knowing that the other bidder would come in since it's only a few bucks. And you can see this in every one of those auctions I listed. He's won auctions at around the $200ish range, but it would seem like it if goes higher than that, his bid practice says "if you want that item, I'm gonna make sure you PAY for it!" Again, no proof that's what he was actually doing, and maybe he did hit his bid limit, but that seems unlikely, and I have no other proof other than what the auction data is showing me. You wouldn't be hearing a peep out of me if he had actually won those outrageous actions that he ran up.

Anyway, it's most certainly a common and pretty obnoxious auction behavior and I think part of the reason why it frustrated me is that I should have been smarter enough to figure it out sooner. So partially it's my own dumb fault, but at NIAD has said better than I ever could above, it's hard to quantify.

So I'm just going to leave it at that.

You need to treat it like a poker game. Keep your cards hidden, and don't show others how excited you are at potentially winning.

Bid once: 60, 20, 10, 5, or 2 seconds before the auction ends (time depends on how much stress you want to put on yourself - otherwise use a service to make bids for you). Make sure you're logged in. ;)

• Like 4

Ok, for the record once again. I WANT THE FUCKING GAMES!! Don't be trolls... no friends I am bidding for or anything! YES i have limits don't everyone! I have money to spent and don't tell me how or when or what to spent it on! This is for me! Strictly for me! Something I could never have as a kid! So screw all of you who think otherwise! I won the auctions where I was within my limits. I may pay higher because I understand that I may never get a chance again. This is supposed to be a collectors forum, and not a bashing..this place sucks..I shelled out 1630$ for the portable and close to a grand on just collectorvision (not auctions). Lame. I will get what want when I want with my money. Cut the damn crying! There is no storage wars crap here, just if I want something I buy it period.

I won the auctions where I was within my limits.

Ok, fine. So explain to me why then on this auction you gave up 28 minutes before the auction ended and were willing to pay $490 but not $495 after you ran it up from $299? You could have easily won that one.

Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 21.58.29.png

And why did you duck out on this one 9 minutes before the auction ended over ten bucks after you ran it up?

Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 21.58.10.png

And my Super Sketch auction you ran that up and bailed on it $5 less than me? I didn't snipe bid at the end. You could have won that one... EASY... had you really wanted it.

So tell me, all of these super-expensive auctions that you ran up...why haven't you won ANY of them? Other than the one where I caught you at what you were doing and backed out before you could drop it on me?

You know, I wouldn't have responded at all, but your last post was just so obnoxious that it makes me think more and more than you know damn well you're doing this all on purpose, and now you've been "caught."

Sorry if I'm out of line here, and if this post needs to be deleted, that's fine, but this guy is really getting under my skin and I just want to show everyone else why I think he's shill bidding for the fun of running up auctions. I mean, he freaking ADMITTED TO IT!!!

We all should be aware of his actions.

Basically I don't like being called a liar. You can think what you want. I lost that auction if you must know honestly cause I was changing my baby's diaper. That's the real shit, no pun! Only thing I admitted to running up was the price to WIN it. That's it! Because, I know I may never have the chance to get it again. Caught doing what? Winning auctions? Crazy man..crazy.

Edited by Dj4u43

Anyone want pictures of the games I bought?? Don't know why I need to prove myself, but if I must I will...despise being called a liar..

I have not accused you at all of not paying up for games you won. I am pointing out questionable bidding practices and warning other members of it as well. That's all. You've already said you hit your limits. That's all that needed to be said. I posted my opinions, you wrote back. We're done. And I'm now a smarter eBay bidder thanks to all of this.

Wow this place knows how to treat a new collector, I think Ill just stick to winning auctions from crying babies.. For the people I have done business with pixelboy, troy whelan, etc. thanks, but I am done posting here..will continue to watch but there has to be a more friendly "Collectors" forum on the web. take care.

Only thing I admitted to running up was the price to WIN it. Caught doing what? Winning auctions? Crazy man..crazy.

Wow this place knows how to treat a new collector, I think Ill just stick to winning auctions from crying babies.

You didn't win any of those auctions! That's my whole point. All of those ones you "ran up" you ducked out of and dropped on other people, EXCEPT for the one where I caught on to what you were doing. Had you actually won those auctions that you ran up, I wouldn't be here making waves about it.

NAID is 100% correct:

his bidding practices would drive me absolutely bonkers

Except it's this whole discussion that's driving me bonkers.

You didn't win any of those auctions! That's my whole point. All of those ones you "ran up" you ducked out of and dropped on other people, EXCEPT for the one where I caught on to what you were doing. Had you actually won those auctions that you ran up, I wouldn't be here making waves about it.

You're really starting to sound as if you're whining because you had to pay so much for those items. If you weren't willing to pay so much, that's your fault for bidding so high. Dj4u43 is in his right to stop bidding whenever he feels he's at his limit. You have no proof that he was purposely bidding up the auction, so you should really lay off. This isn't how we treat people on these forums.

• Like 1

You have no proof that he was purposely bidding up the auction, so you should really lay off. This isn't how we treat people on these forums.

You are 100% correct and I should have taken NIAD's advice in the first place. Sorry.

• Like 1