IGNORED

Colecovision Auction Watch

Rev

Just put up the following 2 auctions:

Antarctic Adventure (with box and Manual) goes live at 8:45pm EST

Starting out at $0.01 with BIN of $85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162065671183?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

BC's Quest for Tires II Grog's Revenge CIB. goes live at 9:00pm EST

Starting out at $0.01 with BIN of $65

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162065676505?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

How come the controllers aren't the ones pictured on the box? I know I've seen those before.

This seems to be the case with all the known "Purple Box Pre Production/Prototype CV Systems", of which there are now 3 confirmed to exist.

1) an anonymous collector has a purple box, but the CV system is actually a regular resale CV system that was sold in stores.

2) the one I own that is a Pre-Prod./Prototype CV with a serial # of P0000162 and Rev. A motherboard. Amazingly, the RF Video/Audio quality is the best i've seen for any CV.

3) and this newly discovered one up on eBay.

I would venture a guess that an extremely small number of the Hand Controller with built-in Speed Roller were actually manufactured and maybe only a couple of the Purple Boxed systems included them. Basically it was a cost saving measure by Coleco to eliminate the Speed Rolller from the Hand Controller and another option to add to the Super Action Controller. BTW, a lot of the Hand Controller PCBs with the Speed Roller circuit ended up in controllers sold to the public.

There are 3 known Hand Controllers with Speed Roller:

1) Yurkie owns a very early Prototype that uses a darker colored Speed Roller and rivets instead of screws to join the two halves.

2) Yurkie owns a Production quality one like is pictured on the purple box.

3) I own a Production quality one like is pictured on the purple box.

Considering what a CIB of Air Raid for the 2600, Nintendo World Championships cart (both shell variation) for the NES and so many other items sell for even though there are plenty around and changing hands... I think it's finally time to see a truely rare/very low number known to exist item such as this sell for some serious scratch and i'm not just saying that cause I own one.

• Like 2

There are at least 2 reasons I can't see this getting the price of an air raid or nes wc.

First just because it's not atari or nes. Those are huge names. You can ask a grandma or 10 year old if they know what atari and nes are and they almost always do. You say colecovision and people stare at you blankly....

Way bigger collector base.

Then 2nd I think alot of collectors are completests on game collections. They can see spending alot on 1 title to try and complete a set of released games for a system.

Something like this is a prototype and it's easy to write it off as an anomaly. Or decide I am not collecting protos etc.

That said, this is so cool! I want 1! I won't be bidding though due to other big purchases lately ;)

Best of luck to those that do!

• Like 2

I think it would be cooler to find out how the guy got one, if maybe his father or mother worked for coleco. I would be more interested in the story than winning the purple box.

Check the item description, it goes into good description of the units history ;)

Check the item description, it goes into good description of the units history ;)

Nice thanks, glanced over that part. Surprised a VP didn't get an earlier proto with the rare controllers. Especially since that high up he probably knew they were changing them out.

I wonder what the other stuff is that he is going to sell. Would be interesting if the guy had some unreleased protos.

He mentions the guys wife was an artist for coleco and did the venture box art.

So maybe some original coleco art or paste-ups will come up....that would be very cool to see!

Yeah... I don't understand this part, as ColecoVision launch titles all use the same artistic format: video game cabinet on black background with marquee/emblem atop, and ColecoVision splash in lower left. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle is one exception to this.

:? :?

Edited by phattyboombatty

I thought the same thing.

All I could assume was she either did the CBS artwork or she did the graphic design paste ups for the us release.

But it would still seem the same people would do all of the ones in that arcade cab format....

I think it would be cooler to find out how the guy got one, if maybe his father or mother worked for coleco. I would be more interested in the story than winning the purple box.

The description does tell a bit about the owner and his wife, and I thought the same thing... It would be really cool to get it signed or a letter with it... I've made purchases on ebay from Coleco employees that have provided a history of the item along with photos of them working at Coleco back in the day. For sure, the people and history behind it all, is so cool..

Just put up the following 2 auctions:

Antarctic Adventure (with box and Manual) goes live at 8:45pm EST

Starting out at $0.01 with BIN of $85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162065671183?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

BC's Quest for Tires II Grog's Revenge CIB. goes live at 9:00pm EST

Starting out at $0.01 with BIN of $65

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162065676505?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

Just wanted to bump since these are ending today.

I also have some BIN items as well

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bmack36/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Yeah... I don't understand this part, as ColecoVision launch titles all use the same artistic format: video game cabinet on black background with marquee/emblem atop, and ColecoVision splash in lower left. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle is one exception to this.

:? :?

Probably for CBS versions

Yeah I am curious who the new owner is too.

It sold for about what I guessed it would, I thought it would break 1500, but was going to be surprised if it went over 2k.

It does surprise me though that anyone would pay 2200 for a sealed coleco :P

Honestly anything could be in it. A neatly opened box could easily be reglued and sold as nib.....