IGNORED

Colecovision Auction Watch

Rev

I know this is Coleco "VISION" auction watch but I had to do this.

When building my cartridge library I came across this.

Sold by Coleco in 1975.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coleco-1975-Planet-of-the-Apes-Playhouse-5-Feet-Tall-Super-Rare-WOW-LOOK/382057915610?hash=item58f46d24da:g:~-AAAOSw5UZY~2oY

Now if this guy can actually get $1200 for what is literally nothing but a cardboard box with a printing of the Planet of the Apes on it then this dude is a better man than me.

This is what I call people going crazy.

I might buy myself an SSP Crash'em up set or an Evil Knievel Stunt Cycle but when you go this far into nostalgia and collecting is when you deserve to be locked up and force fed lithium.

Edited by Mike Harris

I received more Coleco Carts off EBay today.
I find the best bundle I can at a reasonable price and that have best quality.

So today when I opened my box I noticed that two carts were different.
Dr. Suess and Victory...
Both instruction manuals are double sided in French and English.  They both also came with a sticker to relabel the carts in French.

Anyone else have this experience?20190923_221755.thumb.jpg.9810a6f3e4eea0711c9c008bfaf71c8b.jpg20190923_221744.thumb.jpg.735b6885f30c5c9ad488dde6829ec113.jpg

Edited by Mike Harris

More goodies going through my EBay pick ups.

I have been buying bulk carts mainly for the shells.
I pick up the crappy looking cart for cheaper than a really nice one, clean the shell and either build a new cart from that with a new EPROM or I can use it for my own personal game.

NOW, I am finding Cartridges with EPROMS instead of OTP.
Is this common?
I have two Gorf's one with 2x OTP and one that has 2x 2763-4 8k Eproms with old, yellowed masking tape.
How lucky would it be if it said prototype....But nope, just two old eproms.

If anyone can fill in the history that would be cool.

20190924_220342.thumb.jpg.52c16138f7d99c9b58a657528fc465ef.jpg

20190924_221722.jpg

Edited by Mike Harris

Picked up a bunch of new carts....finding them for around $2.50 a piece now.

Anyway, came across this crazy sale....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-Front-Line-Standard-Controller-Edition-SCE-New-Limited-1-of-75/283601028395?hash=item4207f0452b:g:XNEAAOSw3k5da~03

Anyone you guys know?

I would like to recommend an eye dropper of lithium every 8 hours to cure this madness.

Edited by Mike Harris

This is one I never knew.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-Video-Game-Cartridge-ONE-ON-ONE-Irving-vs-Bird-by-Micro-Fun/323914810384?hash=item4b6ad3c410:g:2uIAAOSwPmldfBmw:sc:USPSFirstClass!33584!US!-1

This is the first time I found out that One On One was done by Micro-Fun and it is the first time I have seen it in cartridge form.

I would buy it because it seems rare but not for that much.
Maybe one of you guys???

I loved this game on c64 & apple 2 . This version plays well but uses doubled sprites and looks poor.

I have considered remaking this game with correct looking sprites.

7 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

This is one I never knew.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-Video-Game-Cartridge-ONE-ON-ONE-Irving-vs-Bird-by-Micro-Fun/323914810384?hash=item4b6ad3c410:g:2uIAAOSwPmldfBmw:sc:USPSFirstClass!33584!US!-1

This is the first time I found out that One On One was done by Micro-Fun and it is the first time I have seen it in cartridge form.

I would buy it because it seems rare but not for that much.
Maybe one of you guys???

• Like 1

Do you have $50K?

When you type in Coleco even the extreme filters through.

I can only suspect that this guy woke up one day or worse did NOT wake up and this is his next of kin selling....
But here we have what I CALL a wasted life.  Hear me out, you may have a different opinion.
The value of anything on this planet is whatever you put on it.  I value my wife and kids....

Regardless, this person is selling this collection...I hope whomever had a great life but I learned early on that software is NOT a commodity and does not value with age.  Everything is artificially priced high with terms of RARE...VINTAGE...ONCE IN A LIFETIME...

Just look at every rom you can get free online and run from your phone the next time you want stuff like this.
How much wheeling and dealing...How much money I wasted on this very thing back in the 80's and 90's.

So, if you have 50K and a house to put it in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-GAMES-COLLECTION-LOT-NES-SNES-GAMECUBE-SEGA-GEN-PS1-N64-ATARI-PS2-WII-XBOX/264472147360?hash=item3d93c4b5a0:g:p0kAAOSwSaJdg8s0

Edited by Mike Harris
  • Haha 1

Can someone explain these Variants or are they just bootlegs of someone creating some type of box and slapping an old cartridge in it.

You guys would know the foreign market and history better than I do.

I've been seeing these things screaming of Taiwan lately.  This is the only one I have brought up as of yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-3-SMURF-RESCUE-BEAM-RIDER-GATEWAY-TO-ASPH-COLECOVISION-COOPER-80-S-NIB/143398907153?hash=item21633dad11:g:YRQAAOSwLwtdkoqt

These are taiwan bootlegs from back in the day,  they are known as taiwan cooper games.

Since about all the info on them is they are from taiwan and they use the cooper font on the box.

There are only i think 5 for the colecovision but there are many, many for the 2600.

• Like 1

Just looking for more great deal on EBay but I am seriously puzzled.
This guy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZANAC-for-Colecovision-ADAM-Cart-NEW-CIB-SUPER-GAME-MODULE-REQD/333347651812?hash=item4d9d1180e4:g:tu8AAOSwrYBc1tBB

Who legally owns these games from the early 80's?  This is an MSX game that was hacked to run on the Colecovision.

I'm seeing these all over the place and was just curious because I would love to get in on this action.
If all I have to do is hack a bit of code then slap it inside a cartridge with a label then I am all in brother...

5 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

This guy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZANAC-for-Colecovision-ADAM-Cart-NEW-CIB-SUPER-GAME-MODULE-REQD/333347651812?hash=item4d9d1180e4:g:tu8AAOSwrYBc1tBB

Who legally owns these games from the early 80's?  This is an MSX game that was hacked to run on the Colecovision.

I'm seeing these all over the place and was just curious because I would love to get in on this action.
If all I have to do is hack a bit of code then slap it inside a cartridge with a label then I am all in brother...

This is a Collectorvision game from 2015 and he is a reseller. He is not making them himself.

11 minutes ago, Swami said:

This is a Collectorvision game from 2015 and he is a reseller. He is not making them himself.

Thanks, I wasn't trying to imply that, I apologize.
So basically I can do exactly what Collectovision does which is take an MSX game from the 80's, including this one, hack it then sell it under my brand.

Just trying to figure out the rules, not trying to make waves.

Generally, CV homebrewers have dibs on their ports. Porting an MSX or SG-1000 game which has already been ported previously is considered bad form, and also a bit futile, since the port is already out there, often with box and manual, so you'll have a hard time finding new buyers for your duplicate port.

1 hour ago, Mike Harris said:

Thanks, I wasn't trying to imply that, I apologize.
So basically I can do exactly what Collectovision does which is take an MSX game from the 80's, including this one, hack it then sell it under my brand.

Just trying to figure out the rules, not trying to make waves.

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

Generally, CV homebrewers have dibs on their ports. Porting an MSX or SG-1000 game which has already been ported previously is considered bad form, and also a bit futile, since the port is already out there, often with box and manual, so you'll have a hard time finding new buyers for your duplicate port.

Many of the ports have bugs in the MSX/SG-1000 versions fixed and controller response and other things smoothed out and optimized. In other words, a more polished version than you would get with the source version.

BTW, I would like to see a few homebrews and originals hacked: Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe with jump straight up; Vanguard with SNES button pattern for firing for Phoenix; Spy Hunter, Car Fighter and that similar one with the EM2 driving controller; etc.

Don't you love topic starters.
How we can just discuss things civilly without making a mountain out of a mole hill.

My thing is more of a licensing and/or ownership dispute more than stealing others work.
Nintendo has been cracking down and I would hate to make a port and be jumped on after spending countless hours if not days on it.

"BTW, I would like to see a few homebrews and originals hacked: Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe with jump straight up; Vanguard with SNES button pattern for firing for Phoenix; Spy Hunter, Car Fighter and that similar one with the EM2 driving controller; etc."

Original content and games from scratch are not the same as ported MSX.
THAT is one line I would never cross.
I spent countless nights on my mapping system for my Super Adventure game and I would be pissed if someone stole the code and made money off it.

I mean all these games old and new are still under copyright and will be for a long time.

So if your trying to be 100% legal then you cant port or remake anything hardly.

But otherwise its just a matter of what risk you take...if you only try to make money on stuff the owner has abandoned or isnt current then your generally safe. But not always...like you said nintendo has gotten very strict after not seeming to care about their old stuff for many many years.

A few years back the biggest classic game torrent site Underground Gamer was shut down for hosting a link that contained 1 EA game rom from 1993....fifa soccer....a game nobody even cared about lol

So you never know....

Of course stealing current homebrewers work is an bigger dick move.....but even then, once they are old and no longer made at all....where does one draw the line?

Best bet is always create your own new content ;)

4 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

This guy

(Edit) Very sorry I accused the Ebay seller of being a bootlegger. He's not. Thanks for the folks who informed me of my gross error on the following page.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

1 hour ago, Mike Harris said:

Don't you love topic starters.
How we can just discuss things civilly without making a mountain out of a mole hill.

My thing is more of a licensing and/or ownership dispute more than stealing others work.
Nintendo has been cracking down and I would hate to make a port and be jumped on after spending countless hours if not days on it.

"BTW, I would like to see a few homebrews and originals hacked: Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe with jump straight up; Vanguard with SNES button pattern for firing for Phoenix; Spy Hunter, Car Fighter and that similar one with the EM2 driving controller; etc."

Original content and games from scratch are not the same as ported MSX.
THAT is one line I would never cross.
I spent countless nights on my mapping system for my Super Adventure game and I would be pissed if someone stole the code and made money off it.

I would be interested in such hacks after the rom was released and with the programmers consent, of course, and as a free rom, not as a profit method.

Regarding your question: generally, regarding all the MSX titles, if you ask the original 80s IP owners or whoever now owns the IP for permission they will not respond to you because you are small potatos. Then, you decide if you are small potatos to them, will they care if you port their game or won't they. I think that's pretty much how it works. Sometimes IP is hopelessly confounded and whoever owns the IP doesn't even know, so, then it is the same case. So, like Stupus said, to be 100% certain, it either has to be public domain or original work.