IGNORED

Colecovision Auction Watch

Rev

4 minutes ago, mumbai said:

It's not a prototype. It is Montezuma's Revenge.

How can you be certain it's not a prototype?  I guess the RLS could mean "Release" which would infer that it's a release version of the rom.  Also, the date is mid 1984 which must be about as close to when the game was officially released as you can get.

Regardless, certainly not remotely worth $200 to find out.

Just now, Ikrananka said:

How can you be certain it's not a prototype?

I've had one. I've seen others. It's a production sample / review copy.

Far as I know, "RLS" does stand in for "Release".

For comparison, see also an example from the Atari 2600:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/monty/61184.htm

(I disagree with the labeling as a "prototype", except in a loose sense.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh, I feel like whoever this is needs to be shamed! This is obviously a "fake" and not real in any way at all. This is a fake reproduction of the "prototype" version of Super Donkey Kong that has been floating around for years (you can download the ROM for free) with one of the prototype boxes from Opcode. Please do NOT bid on this or support whoever this person is on eBay!

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.38.24 PM.png

57 minutes ago, TPR said:

Ugh, I feel like whoever this is needs to be shamed! This is obviously a "fake" and not real in any way at all. This is a fake reproduction of the "prototype" version of Super Donkey Kong that has been floating around for years (you can download the ROM for free) with one of the prototype boxes from Opcode. Please do NOT bid on this or support whoever this person is on eBay!

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.38.24 PM.png

"noon-moon" ... anybody know who this is?  Forum member?  

Btw, does AtariAge have a list of "questionable" sellers and / or flippers etc. ?  

3 hours ago, stupus said:

While the price is rather ridiculous he does makes it pretty clear what it really is.

Although i dont think the boxes were supposed to be broadcast by the project fundraisers.

Agreed that the "description" says what it is, but the auction itself is pretty misleading.  The fact that he says "unreleased homebrew" and uses an arrow at the box to make it sound like it's a prototype version of the Opcode DKA.  It's pretty obvious to me he's trying to pull the wool over some people.

998799539_ScreenShot2020-04-22at5_50_40PM.png.8b1360dd71894272d6c95fe78f78eb6f.png

6 hours ago, TPR said:

Agreed that the "description" says what it is, but the auction itself is pretty misleading.  The fact that he says "unreleased homebrew" and uses an arrow at the box to make it sound like it's a prototype version of the Opcode DKA.  It's pretty obvious to me he's trying to pull the wool over some people.

998799539_ScreenShot2020-04-22at5_50_40PM.png.8b1360dd71894272d6c95fe78f78eb6f.png

Yes, he isn't going out of his way to make it clear what he has there.

Also for the record his meteoric shower thats up and the cosmic crisis that sold already are not real bit corp releases. 

15 hours ago, mumbai said:

Changing the subject (if only for a moment)... mildly surprised no one has made mention of this transaction:

ColecoVision Console 2400 PROTOTYPE #4 Video Game System

Perhaps few noticed? Its eBay lifespan was fairly brief.

so we know it didn't really sell for : US $399.99    . What is really going there. I've seen a number of obviously fake transactions on ebay like this? Is the seller buying it himself ... and why?

Edited by digress

so we know it didn't really sell for : US $399.99    . What is really going there. I've seen a number of obviously fake transactions on ebay like this? Is the seller buying it himself ... and why?
Sock puppets are used to create precedents, build positive feedback and overall augment possible bidding.

And it is against eBay policy.

15 hours ago, stupus said:

Yes, he isn't going out of his way to make it clear what he has there.

Also for the record his meteoric shower thats up and the cosmic crisis that sold already are not real bit corp releases. 

And now I see what appears to be a bogus Amazing Bumpman from the same seller.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coleconut said:

And now I see what appears to be a bogus Amazing Bumpman from the same seller.

That's not a bogus one.  This was made by Telegames USA and sold with photocopied instructions in one of their plastic clamshell cases.  The only negative is that the label is in unusually poor condition.

Yes, that 1 looked legit to me at first glance without careful analysis. Just the label looks terrible.

It and skiing were sold in little telegames carded baggies though, not clamshells. At least i know of no evidence of either title ever existing in a clamshell with an insert.

27 minutes ago, stupus said:

It and skiing were sold in little telegames carded baggies though, not clamshells.

I share your opinion that it wasn't bundled in a clamshell. Never seen such. Could definitely be mistaken here, though.

27 minutes ago, stupus said:

Looking closer at the bumpman, i think it is fake too. Wrong shell...

I have concerns about the [Coleco Inc.] shell, too. But available references for a TG-USA variant all show a similar casing ... from the front.

Edited by mumbai
This posting editor has it out for me...
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

That's not a bogus one.  This was made by Telegames USA and sold with photocopied instructions in one of their plastic clamshell cases.  The only negative is that the label is in unusually poor condition.

We can agree to disagree - I think the shell gives away that it isnt authentic, I have the full library of Telegames USA ans UK releases - except Bumpman unfortunately - and all the shells are the same and none of them say Coleco on them. And this is the same geezer trying to sell the ultra rare Super DK  so I dont trust him to begin with...