IGNORED

Need help with famicom disk system

acharris

Hi all, I need some advice. I managed to pick up a Famicom Disk system the other day for £20 gbp. I want to test it and I was looking at ways I can with what I got. I know it needs a famicom ideally but all I got in PAL nes toaster. I have seen on the net people have got one running on a toaster using a adaptor and game genie. I was wondering if this would work on a UK NES or would I have to disable the region lock out and also over here we didnt have the games with the adaptors built in like gyromite so that is not a cheap option.

My second idea of running it was seeing as I have a PAL SNES and I also own a Tristar/super 8 adaptor can I use this setup over her to run a FDS on a PAL system or does the Tristar have the same region lock protection as a regular NES?

Also would I be right in assuming that a Sega Mega Drive 1 DC power supply 10v would be able to power the FDS without causing damage to the FDS??

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Anthony

You'd have to disable the lockout chip first as I don't believe the Game Genie bypasses it. Personally I'd just run it through the Super 8 as the FDS wouldn't be stable through both a Famicom converter and a Game Genie. The slightest bump would probably cause the FDS to crash, so having it plugged into the Super 8 would avoid that. And yes, a model 1 Genesis/Mega Drive PSU will work fine with the FDS, but you can use 6 C batteries if you want to save an extra outlet.

Thanks for the quick reply I think I might actually give that a try first before I go looking to buy a famicom at least it will give me a chance to see if the device is working though I did buy it on the thing that the belt might have gone on it as when they tried loading up a game it didnt load but he said he think that it was the disk was corrupt but I will see when I get it working.

Thanks again.

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Need advice. Following on from the above thread. I have managed to get the Famicom Disk System to work on the Super 8 on my SNES, but my only problem is I had to remove all the casing from the super 8, the FDS RAM cartridge and the SNES game used to work with the Super 8. Even then the FDS RAM cart was at a slight angle but I did get power to it.

What I was wondering is could I use a adaptor to lift the FDS Ram cart up as I dont mind using one of my old common games without its casing but dont fancy running everything without casing. Please note I am in the UK so we never had the games like gyromite with the adaptors in so I would need something available in the UK.

Otherwise my other option is to get a AV modded Famicom which I wont mind but would rather explore the super 8 idea further. Thanks for any advice.