IGNORED

Rescue On Fractalus snapshots for kicks

Gunstar

I was playing RoF today, and when I landed for a pilot, I turned around to look for him and realized I was parked right next to one of the gun domes. I decided to try something I'd never done before, and that was to land on a mountain peak next to a gun dome. Picture below. I've flown by at high-speed and have gotten glimpses close up, but this is the first time I landed next to one and had time to look at it closely (with paused or just with ship systems shut off). I sat there and watched it get dark then light again. Those Alien gunners got an early morning suprise when I blew them up! Second pic is the same location after blowing it up, so you can see they aren't just domes, but but they have bases or towers under them...

post-149-0-88144000-1315358900_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-18971900-1315359566_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Just under the dome in the first picture! :)

Well.. maybe "towers" is a little too much for the "vertical area of the same color" under the base, but you get the idea..

Well, yeah, maybe the base and the dome should just be refered to as Gun Silos. I have seen some that look taller than the one on the pick, depending on how steap the cliff and how much the dome would over-hang without the silo. Remember that unlike Koronis Rift and The Eidelon, Rescue on Fractalus was randomly generated landscapes and Gun Silo placement. I think KR would have been better with random landscapes and artifacts...The Eidelon is arguable if random caves and creatures would have been better...I'll take a few more pics of RoF.

Edited by Gunstar

Here ae a couple more pics of before and after blowing up a gun silo, this one is taller than the other one. I've seen even taller, but it's tuff landing near these things and getting a good angle (especially since the "silos" are the same color as the landscape), with it shooting at you to boot!

post-149-0-32144900-1315539181_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-77818900-1315539197_thumb.jpg

Simple as it is.

Think of the coder, doing the coordinates of the scene.

The peaks are just the crossing points of two lines at an high angle that look like a hill, so why nor using the coordinates to place the enemy there.And the "bases" are just reused filled bytes...

Sometimes the easier coding way gives a better impression. Interesting, isn't it.

Edited by emkay