IGNORED

4 Atari 16MB Hard Disk Images Completed

kheffington

I added it into the First Hard Disk. I left in the 5200 conversion as well. Not really clear on the difference at this point but didn't really spend much time with it other than making sure it ran ok. The 5200 conversion as far as I can tell also does Control-T option.

Thanks kheffington.

I tried the 5200 conversion 1st and Control-T didn't use the trackball. I just replaced the CENTIPED.COM with the one that has trackball support.

As long as it is sorted out. Thank you again for the files and "Thank You" to whoever did the centipede trackball hack. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a MyIDE cartridge interface with a 512meg Transend CF card and I tried to copy DISK1 to a 64meg drive/partition using the MyDOS disk copy command. It bombed after the forgotton Atari number limit of 32768 so the entire thing did not get transfered.

Do you have any suggestions as to how one would go about copying those DISK 1-4 atrs mounted with aspeqt to a MyIDE drive of 65536 sectors.

Is there a disk copying or sector bit-bang copier that will handle the large disk size?

I really want to get them transfered as I do not want to have to hook up the PC using SIO2PC to play the darn things.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

I do not have any sort of USB interface for quick transfer, so it is a slow process anyway.

I had to shut down hibernation and suspend in the power settings of the WinXP laptop I am using with a USB2serial adapter connected to a home built SIO2PC adapter.

That works with Windows XP. But not with linux.

Linux keeps trying to set up the USB2serial adapter to any modem or printer it finds and has messed up my ability to use one lazer printer that is also connected to the same PC with a USB2parallell adapter.

I have a MyIDE cartridge interface with a 512meg Transend CF card and I tried to copy DISK1 to a 64meg drive/partition using the MyDOS disk copy command.

I think several people would like to know where/how you got a version of MyDos that supports 64MB partitions...

With the fisk program, you create the 65535 sector partitions

Then in MyDOS 4.45, you pick O (Change configuration), tell it is is a high capacity drive, not removable, and sectors of 65535 as to size.

Then select P to set the density of the drive for format purposes.

And I was most likely wrong in that 65535 sectors of 256bytes is 16 megs, not 64 megs.

Sorry for my mistake there. I was not trying to mislead anyone.

But back to my query.

Do you know a method of copying the DRIVE1-4 atrs as disks to disks/partitions on the MyIDE CF drive?

It seems to bomb after running into the atari number limitation of 32768 and stops doing a disk copy at that point.

You could use MyIDEDriveManager to do it on a PC. It is a Windows Program but I think it works under WINE on Linux but I don't remember for sure whether it does or not. But if you have XP it works with it.

http://home.kindredi...DEDriveManager/

Works with CF Cards. Not sure a 512 MB CF Card will hold 4 x 16 meg partitions. You need to make 16 MB partitions on the MyIDE cartridge before copying the images to them. You would need obviously a CF card reader or slot on the PC.

Also as the MyIDE is the Cartridge version some of the games will over ride the MyIDE os and not work. A lot will work but not all of them. You also need to use the images with HIGH SPEED turned off by default as it will conflict with the MyIDE OS.

Edited by kheffington

I already know I would need 4 16meg partitions/drives on the CF card. But since it is 512 megs, I have lots of room even if I lost half of the size figuring 256byte sectors vs 512byte sectors on a regular PC.

But I am curious as to how the atari handles accessing sectors beyond 32768.

And I have both a USB CF card adapter as well as a USB hard drive adapter and a CF2IDE adapter,

So as far as using Drive Manager on the PC, I am covered.

And the MyIDE AtariMAX cartridge has the OS on it, so maybe I am safe there although a game called The Eidolon seems to overwrite the OS and stops loading if I boot it from the MyIDE drive. If I boot it with sio2pc interface, it works.

Make sure to use the images without High Speed turned on as bios will conflict with HS with the cartridge version of MyIDE. Also some of the games but not most of them will over wright the bios on the cartridge and not load as a result. Images without HS on are in the link below.

It is the DOS used that handles the sectors on the drive. The images have MyPicoDos on them and can handle 16 MB Hard drive images. But you do need to set up the partitions correctly on the card before copying them to the card.

http://ravenlist.com/files/atari/August/images.zip

I can copy all the directories and files over to the CF drive/partition created. But how does one write PicoDOS to the drive on the CF card so it will boot to it?

A copy of the file does not work for booting purposes.

Other DOSes have a means of writing the DOS files to a drive so that it boots that dos.

But I have no exposure to PicoDOS to know how one would do that.

You should be copying the entire partition to the blank partition on the CF card. MyPicoDos is already on those images if you downloaded them. Those partitions are already bootable.

So just use MyIDEDriveManager on a PC to copy the 16MB HD image ATR to the blank partition on the CF Card. The Partition on the CF Card must be a 16MB Partition already set up with FDISK program from the MyIDE Cartridge.

Edited by kheffington

Thank you all for the help! I had tried to use the dupdisk command in MyDOS to copy the DISKs mounted with aspeqt and naturally it bombed out after a partial copy.

With the 512 meg Transend CF card, I should have room to have both a 16meg drive for my basic files and 4 more for use by the picodos disks you have provided.

Then it is just a matter of using Drive manager to transfer them to the created partitions on the CF card attached to the PC with a USB card interface. I will have to see if Drive manager works with wine in linux. But I suppose I can go ahead and use XP or Vista for the purpose.

I just will have to watch my P's and Q's so the destination is the CF card and not one of my internal hard drives!

I have too much to loose to go that route.

Again, thank you all for helping out an old atari nut that is still trying to restore 3 atari 800XLs to working condition after they were connected to a bad brick power supply.

And I am also hoping that I can restore the keyboard on an atari 800 that only works partially. There was green corrosion at the point where the wires, yes, wires attached to the keyboard membrane.

Again, thank you all for helping out an old atari nut that is still trying to restore 3 atari 800XLs to working condition after they were connected to a bad brick power supply.

Well... you can open a new topic for that on this Forum ofcourse. Depending on how bad the psu was, I'd say first check the DRAMS and the OS ROM. Most other parts are still very sensitive, but have a little more flexibility on standing (little) too high voltages for a short while.

DRIVE1.ATR ------->PARTITION A 65535 SECTORS

DRIVE2.ATR ------->PARTITION B 65535 SECTORS

DRIVE3.ATR ------->PARTITION C 65535 SECTORS

DRIVE4.ATR ------->PARTITION D 65535 SECTORS

4atrs need 4 partions..

Is there a way to get these working with Incognito / SIDE?

DRIVE1.ATR ------->PARTITION A 65535 SECTORS

DRIVE2.ATR ------->PARTITION B 65535 SECTORS

DRIVE3.ATR ------->PARTITION C 65535 SECTORS

DRIVE4.ATR ------->PARTITION D 65535 SECTORS

4atrs need 4 partions..

Is there a way to get these working with Incognito / SIDE?

As soon as I build the ATR mounting into the Incognito's PBI driver, you'll be able to put ATRs of any size and density in the FAT32 area of a CF card and mount them as read/write partitions. Same goes with Ultimate 1MB+SIDE. You can then fill the CF card with 32MB ATRs and copy the contents to the "real" APT partitions on the same card using the DOS copy command, at 30-40KB/s.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Many thanks for this very cool collection. It helped me a lot with my new sio2sd.

Some important classics are missing, maybe some of them can be added in the future?

Here's what I am missing: Asteroids emulator (2012), Yoomp1.1Pal, Flight Simulator II, Karateka for 800XL 64MB (anybody has a working version on sio2sd?),

Crownland preview and final.

BTW: Galaxian (Atari) does not work correctly, it crashes after some seconds of playing.

Thanks......

Edited by biobern

You are right, thanks. But i've only 64kB RAM, so "crownland preview" is my kind of party. :-(

BTW: Does anybody know how to play Karateka in ANY way on 64kB RAM with sio2sd?

All the images i tried out did not work at all. The version at Homesoft Disk 66 did work, but the sound

is broken during gameplay. Thanks for any help....