IGNORED

High Score Club 9.25 - Solar Storm

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You're strapped in your laser ship, battling fierce Deltoids and Shields. They approach in waves, at faster and faster speeds. Each raider can shoot a single flash of proton energy that comes at you like a lightning bolt. There's no time to waste. And no place to hide. Then, as you carry on the defense, things get much worse. A far-off sun explodes! Fragments from the cataclysm come raining down. Keep moving! Blast almost everything you see! If you don't, heat from the solar debris can destroy your planet. If you prevail, you can move out to the edge of space and attack your foes. Sweet revenge!

sstorm-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Solar Storm
  • Released By: Imagic, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N / A
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday September 14th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Deltoid Destroyer - Score 3000 points or higher and you get 2 bonus points!
  • Survivor - Score 5000 points or higher and you get an additional 3 points!

Current High Scores
  1. 10,000 (Gorfy) [+11][+5]
  2. 6490 (JacobZu7zu7) [+10][+5]
  3. 5430 (pis) [+9][+5]
  4. 5340 (Stan) [+8][+5]
  5. 5040 (toymailman) [+7][+5]
  6. 3605 (Vocelli) [+6][+2]
  7. 2815 (Tony The 2600) [+5]
  8. 2605 (disjaukifa) [+4]
  9. 2565 (roadrunner) [+3]
  10. 1675 (DJT) [+2]
  11. 1420 (oyamafamily) [+1]
  12. 1220 (Amstari) [+1]
  13. 755 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  14. 365 (DT Kofoed) [+1]
  15. 110 (classicgamer_27330) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Stan [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 12,620 (Douglas C Korekach)
  2. 2210 (Robert T Mruczek)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. JacobZu7zu7 [412]
  2. toymailman [383]
  3. oyamafamily [341]
  4. Gorfy [297]
  5. DT Kofoed [250]
  6. Frostbite76 [247]
  7. Vocelli [227]
  8. Stan [219]
  9. Deteacher [186]
  10. Jifremok [181]
  11. Miss 2600 [164]
  12. Scrabbler15 [151]
  13. Amstari [121]
  14. classicgamer_27330 [117]
  15. LarcenTyler [105]
  16. theKLT [99]
  17. roadrunner [94]
  18. cparsley [73]
  19. pokeplayer984 [65]
  20. SpiceWare [48]
  21. Mister VCS [46]
  22. pis [46]
  23. zylon [46]
  24. keilbaca [37]
  25. ed1475 [36]
  26. centiqueen81 [33]
  27. Wickeycolumbus [29]
  28. DJT [29]
  29. Krytol [28]
  30. Chuck D. Head [27]
  31. Cynicaster [20]
  32. SeaGtGruff [20]
  33. Darth Kinzer [18]
  34. HatefulGravey [17]
  35. Curious Sofa [16]
  36. Torr [13]
  37. disjaukifa [10]new.gif
  38. littleman jack [7]down.gif
  39. atarigal [5]down.gif
  40. Cortat G [5]down.gif
  41. bennybingo [5]down.gif
  42. rmaerz [3]down.gif
  43. Zach [3]down.gif
  44. atariUCLA24 [3]down.gif
  45. dwane413 [3]down.gif
  46. retrorussell [3]down.gif
  47. SpaceDice2010 [2]down.gif
  48. MIKE5200 [2]down.gif
  49. Tony The 2600 [2]new.gif
  50. Mangia-Boy [1]down.gif
  51. Buck [1]down.gif
  52. 4Ks [1]down.gif
  53. Cream147 [1]down.gif
  54. chuckwalla [1]down.gif
  55. DickNixonArisen [1]down.gif
  56. leematari [1]down.gif
  57. Zoyx [1]down.gif
  58. Mingy Jongo [1]

Scoring Points in Solar Storm
  • Each Sun Spot hit - 5 points
  • Each Deltoid or Shield Blaster or Lander hit - 10 points
  • Each Solar Flare hit - 20 points
  • Each Sizzloid hit - 50 points
  • Each Fleet Ship hit (from orbital platform) - 10 points

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• Remember, Deltoid and Shield Blasters can each fire at you only once. Try to wait until they take their shots before moving your laser into firing position.
  • When you hit a Sizzloid the whole screen is cleared. In later stages of the game you can avoid the dangers of many falling targets by waiting until the last possible second to hit a Sizzloid.

We played this game once before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out that thread for more hints.

Stan

1. Random shooting will get you NOWHERE. If you miss too many objects, the planet will explode and the game ends. This happens REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE LIVES LEFT!!!!
  2. Thus, you need to play accurately and calmly. Randomly moving back and forth won't work. Takes practice, especially when they speed up. However, there is one thing you absolutely NEED to do to get far in this game. You need to pound that fire button like there's no tomorrow. I mean that, like you need to basically make it go rapid using only your left thumb. This enables you to avoid getting shot and takes out the satellite things fast as well as covers your ass. Get ready for an aching forearm.
  3. The ships (various forms, but all rainbow in color) SUCK. They shoot faster than you can move, so the only way to avoid it is to shoot faster. It seems they cause the planet to increase in heat much slower than other objects, so if you let anything go, make it be them.
  4. Watch the satellite things that come bleeping down. They're worth 50 points and kill everything on the screen, which is nice, but they cause the planet to heat up severely if you let them go by.
  5. The bonus round gives you an extra ship if you take out five ships. Pay attention to the little white dot, that's your firing direction. Move it down to the LEFT first. Take out the lower ship. Then move it to the upper right, do the same thing and move back down because it just repeats. It's easier to kill them as they're passing and ten times harder when they approach, so get them in the back. It's pretty easy. However, keep in mind it speeds up each time you get a free life. By the fourth time you can't simply wait and kill one at a time, you need to move faster and kill two within the same second essentially.

--Zero

This is the last game of Season 9, so do your best!

After this week, I'm going to take a break for a while, as work is going to be total chaos as NHL season starts. I have something big I want to start up before Season 10 as well, so keep your eyes open!

--Zero

I'm into this one :)

Met the first bonus: 3,430

Unfortunately, no pic 'cuz my wife took the digital camera out of town for a couple days. I'll be showing pics again later in the week.

Welcome to the HSC, Disjaukifa and Tony the 2600 :!:

Edited by Gorfy
  • Like 2

Is this the final week of season 9? :ponder:

Yes, Gorfy. You didn't pay close attention in Zero's annoucement at the beginning of this page.

Since I have more than 40 points away from you, Gorfy (4th place on Season 9 Ranking), I'm going to submit my score only for participation point this time. Also, I'm going to let some players post tips and strategies (this time I will not post any tips).

Edited by oyamafamily

1,050 <-- I'm rubbish with the paddles, its something I need to improve upon. I like this game, I actually saw it for sale, I think I'm going to have to go back and pick up a copy of it!

post-24538-0-06855400-1315376452_thumb.png

DISJAUKIFA, CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE 2ND BEST SCORE ON MR. DO'S CASTLE!! YOU SURPRISED THE LEADERS OF SEASON 9 RANKING: JACOBZU7ZU7 (Leader) AND TOYMAILMAN (Vice Leader).

PARTICIPATION POINT - 1420

post-24681-0-58426300-1315402155_thumb.png

Note that today is holiday in Brazil (Independence Day) and tomorrow is another holiday, but in Curitiba (my current location). So, I submitted this score earlier.

My goal has already reached: 3RD PLACE (IN THE TOP 5 RANGE) ON SEASON 9 RANKING.

Edited by oyamafamily

PARTICIPATION POINT - 1420

post-24681-0-58426300-1315402155_thumb.png

Note that today is holiday in Brazil (Independence Day) and tomorrow is another holiday, but in Curitiba (my current location). So, I submitted this score earlier.

My goal has already reached: 3RD PLACE (IN THE TOP 5 RANGE) ON SEASON 9 RANKING.

Congratulations, Big O :!: :thumbsup: :!: :thumbsup: :!: :thumbsup: :!: :thumbsup:

It's always fun competing with you.

Enjoy your holidays!

Ok I figured I'd try replying to everything in one post!

I'm into this one :)

Met the first bonus: 3,430

Unfortunately, no pic 'cuz my wife took the digital camera out of town for a couple days. I'll be showing pics again later in the week.

Welcome to the HSC, Disjaukifa and Tony the 2600 :!:

Thanks for the welcome Gorfy!

1,050 <-- I'm rubbish with the paddles, its something I need to improve upon. I like this game, I actually saw it for sale, I think I'm going to have to go back and pick up a copy of it!

post-24538-0-06855400-1315376452_thumb.png

DISJAUKIFA, CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE 2ND BEST SCORE ON MR. DO'S CASTLE!! YOU SURPRISED THE LEADERS OF SEASON 9 RANKING: JACOBZU7ZU7 (Leader) AND TOYMAILMAN (Vice Leader).

Thank you oyamafamily! I had actually started doing this way back in 2009 however life made it so I had to take a break for a while. My daughter was born and I pretty much stopped gaming for a year, however now that she is not so needy . . . and more importantly sleeping though the night, I can now get back into playing some Atari at night :D

Since this is the last week of the season and zero is taking a few weeks off maybe the leaders can suggest some good games to play while we wait for season 10. I like to try games I have never played. In fact, I will suggest a game once Tuesday rolls around.

What if we held like an pre-season HSC for season 10? Nothing that will be counted for Season 9 or 10, but every-week we still get a game and play it Wednesday ~ Wednesday in anticipation of season 10? I've enjoyed it just with all the new people I've been meeting.

What are ya'lls thoughts?

After this week, I'm going to take a break for a while, as work is going to be total chaos as NHL season starts. I have something big I want to start up before Season 10 as well, so keep your eyes open!

Noooo! I need to have competition! So you're going to have some little 2600 game thing before next year? When does the club usually start, first week of 2012 this time? Just curious because I started late this year.

Noooo! I need to have competition! So you're going to have some little 2600 game thing before next year? When does the club usually start, first week of 2012 this time? Just curious because I started late this year.

Oh it's going to start well before 2012. Last season started 1 week after the last one.

I think it will be no more then 3 weeks or a month tops. It's a popular HSC here!

About my 5th attempt...

Personal best already,

I usually would just shoot random in the past. Now I'm thinking strategy.

You get a free bonus life everytime you shoot enough smal-ship targets in the mini-game.

When they change color you pick up an extra life! NICE, I never knew that.

post-3059-0-04516200-1315417795_thumb.jpg

Damn yo, this game is TOUGH. First attempt with my current tips after.

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS TOUGH TIPS

1. Random shooting will get you NOWHERE. If you miss too many objects, the planet will explode and the game ends. This happens REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE LIVES LEFT!!!!

2. Thus, you need to play accurately and calmly. Randomly moving back and forth won't work. Takes practice, especially when they speed up. However, there is one thing you absolutely NEED to do to get far in this game. You need to pound that fire button like there's no tomorrow. I mean that, like you need to basically make it go rapid using only your left thumb. This enables you to avoid getting shot and takes out the satellite things fast as well as covers your ass. Get ready for an aching forearm.

3. The ships (various forms, but all rainbow in color) SUCK. They shoot faster than you can move, so the only way to avoid it is to shoot faster. It seems they cause the planet to increase in heat much slower than other objects, so if you let anything go, make it be them.

4. Watch the satellite things that come bleeping down. They're worth 50 points and kill everything on the screen, which is nice, but they cause the planet to heat up severely if you let them go by.

5. The bonus roung gives you an extra ship if you take out five ships. Pay attention to the little white dot, that's your firing direction. Move it down to the LEFT first. Take out the lower ship. Then move it to the upper right, do the same thing and move back down because it just repeats. It's easier to kill them as they're passing and ten times harder when they approach, so get them in the back. It's pretty easy. However, keep in mind it speeds up each time you get a free life. By the fourth time you can't simply wait and kill one at a time, you need to move faster and kill two within the same second essentially.

Edited by Stan

BONUSVILLE! Well the first one so far... took a lot of concentration and timing.

Yeah man, I'll be happy if I make it that far. Going to try more later tonight, but this game is a beast. Quite difficult.

Yeah I want to to try to get to the 3000 bonus tonight as well . . . after the day I've had I need it.

Hit the 2nd bonus: 5,925

Had 8 ships saved up when I was around 4K, then got blasted.

Wow, great score. It's still day 1, and you made the 2nd bonus already.

Most ships I've had so far, 5.

Here's my next score...

It might be better for me to just go for the satellites after 3ks since they destroy

all whats on the screen. Trying to get under stuff is my downfall. It's too quick, I get hit.

post-3059-0-30519400-1315447726_thumb.jpg

Hit the 2nd bonus: 5,925

Had 8 ships saved up when I was around 4K, then got blasted.

Wow, great score. It's still day 1, and you made the 2nd bonus already.

Most ships I've had so far, 5.

Here's my next score...

It might be better for me to just go for the satellites after 3ks since they destroy

all whats on the screen. Trying to get under stuff is my downfall. It's too quick, I get hit.

Thanks, Jacob.

I played this game a few months ago on my own, so I'm well-primed for it. I broke 5K once then, but this is my new personal high.

The tricky part of avoiding stuff other than satellites is that if you miss too many objects, then the planet overheats and ends the game. Also, when things start going really quickly, you have little time to differentiate one object from another. The satellites take priority, but I still go for the other stuff if its not down too low.

Edited by Gorfy