IGNORED

Aquarius HSC Check

cparsley

Sure, I'm up for it! The selection is pretty limited, of course, but once more people start getting the Aquaricart, they'll all have the entire library at their fingertips. The Aquarius BurgerTime contest will be fun, if it ever comes about: I've spent so much time playing that game using that game to test the SuperCart hardware ;) that I can now max out the first few screens every time.

Notes, Burgertime! is a no-go (just kidding)

Edited by cparsley

Yeah, it had better be at least two weeks per game or we will run out quick; at least until Aquaricart II with the cassette games comes out! :D

Mattel Aquarius HSC - Powered by Jaybird3rd

Heh ... it's starting to sound like the Aquaricart Volume 2 will have to be one of my next projects! The good news is that it will be a whole lot quicker and easier to put together than Volume 1, thanks to all the reusable assets I developed for the first one.

I also plan to make my own humble additions to the Aquarius game library, and I'll be sure to design them specifically with high score contests in mind.

the thing is im going to be leaning on you all as I don't have an Aquarius... (wonders if there is a emulator for the Aquarius)

Indeed there is! It's called Virtual Aquarius, and I posted an archive of it in another thread. It includes a collection of cartridge images in the "ROM" subdirectory, and it also supports hand controller emulation (via the PC gamepad) and Mini Expander sound, so it would be perfect for players who don't own the real hardware.

Here's a quick rundown of all the (first-party cartridge) games released for the Aquarius:

AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin

Astrosmash

BurgerTime

Chess

Melody Chase

Night Stalker

Snafu

Space Speller (an "edutainment" title)

TRON Deadly Discs

Utopia

Zero In (an "edutainment" title)

These are mostly Intellivision ports, so they're games you're already familiar with. I'll be able to provide links to complete scans of the original manuals, in case anyone needs game instructions. Some of these may work better for the contest than others: Chess doesn't keep score, of course, and Space Speller seems to contain an intermittent bug which can interrupt the game.

If you decide to set this up, I'll do my best to bring in as many Aquaricart owners as I can. I think it can only add value to the Aquaricart to have an active Aquarius community with contests and other fun things going on. I might even be able to throw in a prize or two to help get the ball rolling! ;)

I'm new to the HSC concept. Just like Intellivision, many Aquarius games allow different skill/speed levels that affect difficulty. With the exception of AD&D, there is no on-screen notice of the chosen skill level. I don't know if HSC is based on honor system or screenshots, but either way, there may be cases where a new player honestly doesn't know he selected the slow/easy level.

So, I'm sure Intellivision players have solved this problem. Perhaps it is assumed everyone plays on easy, but the player may select more difficult speed/skill, if he chooses?

The games with selectable skill levels are:

AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin (No visible menu, but shows skill level with a color square during gameplay.)

Astrosmash (No visible menu and no on-screen indicator.)

Burgertime (Must designate original version or Jay's enhanced.)

Chess (If looking to beat computer in fewest moves, must assume everyone chose easiest skill level.)

Melody Chase (Has on-screen skill select, but no in-game indicator.)

Night Stalker (No visible menu and no on-screen indicator.)

Snafu (Shows user skill/speed choice at start menu, but doesn't have in-game indicator.)

Space Speller ((Has on-screen skill select, but no in-game indicator.)

TRON Deadly Discs (No visible menu and no on-screen indicator.)

Utopia (No skill levels available. If going for highest one-player score, must designate official number of terms and length of round.)

Zero In (Has on-screen skill select, but no in-game indicator.)

I'm new to the HSC concept. Just like Intellivision, many Aquarius games allow different skill/speed levels that affect difficulty. With the exception of AD&D, there is no on-screen notice of the chosen skill level. I don't know if HSC is based on honor system or screenshots, but either way, there may be cases where a new player honestly doesn't know he selected the slow/easy level.

Yes. I should have mentioned it earlier, but the Aquarius uses the "Intellivision method" of specifying the game difficulty: at the title screen, you either press a controller key or the disc, and whichever one you choose sets the difficulty for the game (it's all spelled out in the manuals). Like the Intellivision, the disc usually selects the hardest/fastest level, which I think is what the Intellivision HSC is using now as the standard, so the same rule would carry over directly to the Aquarius contests.

Any ideas for our first game, LOL!

I vote the Burger, the Burger, the Burger Burger Time! :D

Secondeded.

We will need to get creative with how to score some games like Utopia or Biorythms. I spose for Utopia you could rank everyone by population for some points and then by gold for some points.

Any ideas for our first game, LOL!

I vote the Burger, the Burger, the Burger Burger Time! :D

Secondeded.

We will need to get creative with how to score some games like Utopia or Biorythms. I spose for Utopia you could rank everyone by population for some points and then by gold for some points.

Actually, you do receive an actual score in Utopia.

The settings are game dependent... If there is a drastic difference, then it is set for lowest possible (and ur free to play on harder if you wish) on games like BurgerTime and LNC for example, there is an onscreen notation and specific make pictures required to show the level played (hence the one DQ score currently in the INTV BurgerTime! series)

Perhaps I'll have to fire up the Virtual Aquarius to get some hands on dealing with the AQ, or maybe find a cheap working Aquarius to experience it on actual hardware.

as far as I'm concerned, your choice... (unless someone can give me a reason why otherwise)

I'd agree with that. Keyboard users will probably be in the majority, since not all Aquarius owners are fortunate enough to have Mini Expanders, so a "controllers only" rule would exclude too many people.

I would be interested, but I don't own an Aquarius or know about any emulators.

See Post #10.

as far as I'm concerned, your choice... (unless someone can give me a reason why otherwise)

I'd agree with that. Keyboard users will probably be in the majority, since not all Aquarius owners are fortunate enough to have Mini Expanders, so a "controllers only" rule would exclude too many people.

I would be interested, but I don't own an Aquarius or know about any emulators.

See Post #10.

Oh, whoops! I did not see that! I will have to look into that.

• 1 month later...