IGNORED

Palmtex/HomeComputer Software Super Micro

Picked this up today, couldn't find too much information about it out there. It's a HomeComputer Software, Inc. Super Micro console (what I assume is complete) in box. The console is what I gather is a Palmtex Super Micro console, despite the separate branding on the box. It's a funky little handheld game with interchangeable cartridges (supposedly, don't know if they made the other games, but the marketing photo on the box at least has 4 total games) and a light in the back for brightness adjustment. It is copyright 1983 from what I could gather from the information on the console and the box.

The system has the box, insert, little system instruction sheet, and the game ReactAttack and the light for the back of the system. The box is a little beat up but isn't too bad at all, say a 7/10? The console is in great shape aside from the battery door having some scratches, so the system has been used, but VERY gently. I placed batteries in to test and everything fires up and works great. The screen glass/plexi still has the original manufacturer sticker on it, and the console pieces both still have the original quality assurance inspection stickers on them.

From what little I found this appears to be the first console that had interchangeable cartridges, and they're basically the screen of the system. You place them inside the screen area and it plays, very interesting little concept. Anyway, does anyone know anything else about it? Were the other cartridges released? I'm also considering selling it so I'm interested in the value of the system on a collector market. Handhelds always fluctuate in value, so I'm never totally sure, and I doubt there's too many of these floating around with box and in such amazing shape. Pics attached! If you are interested in a buy, feel free to drop me an offer on it, I'm a fair weather type of handheld collector and don't really get too much into them, so I'm possibly interested in selling.

post-24585-0-48283300-1315525459_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-17988900-1315525460_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-72899800-1315525460_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-28620300-1315525461_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-79719700-1315525461_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-35425200-1315525462_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-81128100-1315525462_thumb.jpg

Update: I am ACTIVELY TAKING OFFERS on this handheld and am definitely intending on selling it to another collector. I've received several inquiries and have decided I'm just not that much of a handheld collector. I am not interested in trades at this time -- wouldn't even know what to trade for. I am currently doing some research into the value but toss an offer my direction. I am going to keep all parties aware of what offers are on the table -- I won't state your username but I will PM all other offers to inform them that I have received another offer, as this is apparently an R9/R10 on the handheld scale and it's not going to come up very often at all. I hope I'm doing that right, I've never done anything this major-rarity before.

I am going to keep all parties aware of what offers are on the table -- I won't state your username but I will PM all other offers to inform them that I have received another offer, as this is apparently an R9/R10 on the handheld scale and it's not going to come up very often at all.

I would like to be included in your loop. Not your Kellog's FruitLoops but the bidding PM loop... while not as tasty, can be just as satisfying.

I think it came after the Epoch pocket Computer (wiki it) so it's the third programmable handheld.

Nice find, one wnt on ebay UK for approx $80.

I think there are three games for the system

How long ago was this? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. I'm still trying to put a value on this thing to be sure I'm selling it for what it's worth without inflating anything. I've received offers, so I'm not dictating the price, but I really don't want it to go for an exorbitant amount of money over what the item is really valued for.

I'm beginning to wonder if the rarity on these is inflated. If Pacecar has 2 of them, and they've shown up recently on eBay UK, they might not be as rare as let on. Of course, mine still has the original stickers and everything, so that's something, but still, perhaps not that rare!

Was it a nationally released thing or was it just a small, local type thing? Are there any ads out there? Any other information? The ReactAttack game is pretty interesting, even if it's not very entertaining. They certainly tried to do a LOT with it, and it's a shame it may have failed so miserably!

Interestingly enough, there are US copyright records for Crystals of Morga and Spellbound. (The copyright claimant and author is Woodside Design Associates [Activision's Space Shuttle].) Maybe they exist somewhere.

There are also records for Flysim, Oceans of Titan, and Star Raker, but I don't know if those would have been Super Micro games. (I can't imagine they would have made a flight simulator for this thing.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...