IGNORED

Why are Apple II users "different"?

dudeslife

More thread pollution (I edited this into my earlier post, but it got buried by a few posts..)

Also, this site has a good selection:

http://www.apple2onl...3_Games-Library

..has some game manual PDFs in it...

http://www.apple2onl...ntation-Library

Various documentation (Careful, some of it is hardware...)

Also this site has lots, including some on your list (Compute's first book of Apple):

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Apple/

(update)

Damnit.. You wanted the 2nd book of Apple, not the first..

Great.. I'll probably get slammed for missing that.. Sorry..

Sorry if I didn't find this sooner for you.. ;-)

I really am trying to help...

desiv

p.s. Atarian63? We disagreed about the Commodore stuff, but I didn't know you were still mad at me for some reason????

posting deragatory crap on other sites is just par for the course for you.hmm some reason....

The guy is obviously not looking for what you are listing, give it a rest.

Micro supported the Apple and has a torrent.

Thanx..

Yeah, I saw some of the torrents, but I tend not to recommend torrents unless I have to..

And I haven't DL'd and recommending things I haven't yet downloaded (or checked to make sure is complete) gets me in trouble. ;-)

I will grab some of those tho..

Weird about some of the missing ones... Especially InCider.. That was a popular mag IIRC.

desiv

p.s. Atarian63.. Other sites?? No idea what you are talking about...

I did get a bit frustrated after being dissed when posting attempts (failed obviously) to help; but oh well, that happens..

These are the torrents I know of:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5B98C4B200D8697BC95B071FE36B8389C1733022

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:13E4D390B745D232C1C1387C6EBE0EC711635599

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:CA77F57982333E4A1CD435335572FF9A600E6F2A

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:537E94C794B7520CABEFBD165EA667A4123BC7FB

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:C49E6FA15143426C6EC0A3C0A4430302EEB2091A

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4B109B6CE84C7B77430C3B3C85BB9B3AD9898F0F

And I have downloaded them.

Edited by JamesD

Thanx JamesD! I'll DL them.. Been looking for some of those..

@dudeslife Hey, reading back, I was more than a bit annoying in parts of this thread. Long day at work and felt I was being slapped for trying (and failing).. ;-) My bad... When you gave specific examples, I honestly thought you meant them more generically (i.e. generic programming books) which my list had some of.... That was my confusion... Mea culpa...

Now I do have to get to sleep or I'll be more useless than normal at work..

desiv

Compute had a lot of Apple stuff and has a torrent.

Softside supported the Apple and has a torrent.

The nibble archive can be purchased but scans are B&W and I've heard complaints about the quality.

C.A.L.L. Apple used to be downloadable but I'm not sure if it still can be.

Apple Assembly Line used to be downloadable.

A+, Incider, SoftTalk... missing in action.

Good stuff :) To go with the OPs original post... Compute! was scanned for the Commodore content, Softside was scanned by two people - one for the TRS-80 content and the other for the Atari content. The micro scanning was a 6502 enthusiasts project.. CALL Apple I think was done by the creators of the magazine and they were selling the PDFs for 99.00 for the entire run (been a while I may be remembering wrong).. I don't really frequent the apple forums so I have no idea how active the community is but it does not sound like they are making a lot of progress in getting their specific content digitized...

Edited by ThumpNugget

Compute had a lot of Apple stuff and has a torrent.

Softside supported the Apple and has a torrent.

The nibble archive can be purchased but scans are B&W and I've heard complaints about the quality.

C.A.L.L. Apple used to be downloadable but I'm not sure if it still can be.

Apple Assembly Line used to be downloadable.

A+, Incider, SoftTalk... missing in action.

Thanks, the multi-format stuff I have found... its those darn Incider and A+ mags that are hiding.

I think the answer is that Apple users have historically tended to be more the "rich SOB" type.

Obviously not all... that's why there was an *active* piracy scene. I certainly never was rich (hell, I'm struggling to keep a roof over my head!), and of course, I tend to act more like a C64 user than an Apple ][ user >:P

A nice stack of Inciders popped up on Ebay (as an auction) last month ......

Speaking of purchases, I knew this (Apple II magazines) sounded familiar!!!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/186203-interest-in-a-incider-and-computes-gazette-mags/

Looks like our own SpaceDice2010 acquired a complete Incider AND A+ set just recently...

Wonder if he'd consider scanning (or lending for scanning)????

Hmmmm....

desiv

p.s. Apple users are suppose to be different!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different

;-)

Edited by desiv

I think the answer is that Apple users have historically tended to be more the "rich SOB" type.

Obviously not all... that's why there was an *active* piracy scene. I certainly never was rich (hell, I'm struggling to keep a roof over my head!), and of course, I tend to act more like a C64 user than an Apple ][ user >:P

As an Apple 2 user, I also disagree with the stereotype, but I did see it. Of all my friends that had Apple 2's "back in the day", I'd say at least a third of them were in the type of family where the Apple 2 got it's own room, and nobody used it, and the kids were not allowed to use it. Back in the 80s not everyone had a computer, and some would get one just to say they had one, that they could afford one.

Plus, I think the amount of users also has to do with the unavailability of material like the magazines. The average C64 owner was a user, the average Apple 2 owner was a public school. Plus, C64s were more readily available, you could buy them at Toys R Us. With Apple 2, you had to go to some overpriced computer store. The C64 was more affordable, and more available.

There were just more C64 users out there.

I don't really frequent the apple forums so I have no idea how active the community is but it does not sound like they are making a lot of progress in getting their specific content digitized...

I'm still wondering why there seems to have been no substantial software preservation efforts in the AII community.

I'm still wondering why there seems to have been no substantial software preservation efforts in the AII community.

Probably because so much is available on the Asimov FTP site..

Yeah, it's not full "preservation", but you don't go more than a post or 2 on an Apple forum without someone pointing you to asimov...

desiv

Probably because so much is available on the Asimov FTP site..

Yeah, it's not full "preservation", but you don't go more than a post or 2 on an Apple forum without someone pointing you to asimov...

desiv

Because there is so much on Asimov, and it has been around for over 20 years, to my knowledge there haven't even been attempts at doing a more comprehensive project. Perhaps Asimov's age and size have dissuaded anyone else from attempting something similar?

I don't really frequent the apple forums so I have no idea how active the community is but it does not sound like they are making a lot of progress in getting their specific content digitized...

TOSEC did a nice job on USENET earlier this year with the Apple II software archives and their posting of Compute, Compute's Gazette and the other retro mags has been stellar on USENET. The problem is the Magazine and Book preservation for retro Apple. I seen nothing but the same 40-50 pdfs duped on every Apple "retro" website (more manuals than books as pointed out ad nauseum in this thread already). Where are the Compute's Books? Incider & A+ Mags? These are a lot cooler to me than the software. I have been reading old Compute and Byte mags the past month and its been a blast.. cool articles about the "future of computing" and the game articles, and the glorious "type-in" programs.

Edited by dudeslife

TOSEC did a nice job on USENET earlier this year with the Apple II software archives

Producing dats to rename sixty different shitty hacks of software isn't preservation... :P

As for the other thoughts, yeah Asimov has been around forever, but see point A ^ for the much of the stuff that's on there.

I just find it odd with all the hobby hardware development in the AII space that there was so little (or no) attention given to preserving original software copies.

I just find it odd with all the hobby hardware development in the AII space that there was so little (or no) attention given to preserving original software copies.

Agree there..

I have a Kryoflux adapter so I can make really good images of floppies.

Don't have a 5 1/4" drive for it yet, (and I don't have too much original Apple / C64 software, but some) but it's on the list..

But the forum has a lot of talk about Amiga imaging and some ST and some IBM.

But very very little talk about Apple II stuff..

Perhaps Asimov's age and size have dissuaded anyone else from attempting something similar?

I'm thinking that has a lot to do with it...

I know there's a big retro community. I know it's fairly active. The Apple II CFFA adapter has sold over 1000 units...

But yeah, the archiving seems to have stopped somewhere in the past...

They had a huge lead and then it looks like not much...

Would be a shame to lose some of that..

desiv

TOSEC did a nice job on USENET earlier this year with the Apple II software archives and their posting of Compute, Compute's Gazette and the other retro mags has been stellar on USENET. The problem is the Magazine and Book preservation for retro Apple. I seen nothing but the same 40-50 pdfs duped on every Apple "retro" website (more manuals than books as pointed out ad nauseum in this thread already). Where are the Compute's Books? Incider & A+ Mags? These are a lot cooler to me than the software. I have been reading old Compute and Byte mags the past month and its been a blast.. cool articles about the "future of computing" and the game articles, and the glorious "type-in" programs.

If you're interested I have pdf's of several years worth of Call A.P.P.L.E. magazine that I downloaded from their website when they had it open to the public to download. I also have pdf's of a British Apple II magazine, called Hardcore for the first few years then they changed the name to Apple 2000. There is also an archive of Hardcore Computist/Computist magaine available here: http://apple2scans.net/computistarchive/ and you can buy the entire run of Nibble Magazine from the publisher, along with several other Apple II publications he did, on DVD from this website: http://www.nibblemagazine.net/ . Hope this answers your request.

Dean

For most retro system users (atari, commodore, tandy), there is a sharing of resources (books, magazines, etc) with others of the same interests. And then there are the Apple II users who seem to want to hoard their books and magazines and try to command ridiculous prices on Ebay for them. There are no Incider pdf caches or Apple II book pdf collections like we have for C64/128 and Atari computers. Sure you can find a few pdfs here and there but nowhere near the amount of the other retro systems. Why are the Apple II users different?

I so much want those magazines listed on ebay at 14.99 to disappear. It makes it so difficult to get to the good stuff.

Funny this should come up. I've been wanting to make an Atarimania or AtariAge type site for Apple II/IIgs stuff for a long time now. The problem is that it's much too large of an undertaking for one person (you'd probably need a whole team) and I don't have the time or web skills to do it properly.

There really does need to be a giant site for Apple II info though. Too many small non-comprehensive sites out there and almost none of them cover games.

Tempest

• Like 2

You can find TOSEC collection torrent on TPB, no?

edit: duh! I should have read the rest of the thread before replying. :)

Edited by wood_jl

TOSEC did a nice job on USENET earlier this year with the Apple II software archives

Producing dats to rename sixty different shitty hacks of software isn't preservation... :P

5000 disk images and not a lot of dupes, but even if you drop the dupes, and tons of muiti-format magazine pdfs (collected from many sources), it is still more effort than any apple user has put forth in the past 30 years.

Edited by dudeslife

I think there's really 2 major types of Apple ][ user. There were the hardware types (older geeks who prolly got in when the ][ didn't even do lowercase) and the gamers (who were kids when we got into things, and generally started out on the 128K //e). Asimov tends to cater to the latter but most of the stuff out there caters to the former.