IGNORED

1Up claims Lynx a "worst console?"

LynxVGL

Did any of you bother to read? ;)

"Unlike every other console on this list, however, the Lynx was arguably superior to its competitors."

"The Lynx makes its way onto this list not because of any of its own inherent shortcomings, but simply because it was never popular."

"Unlike every other console on this list, however, the Lynx was arguably superior to its competitors."

"The Lynx makes its way onto this list not because of any of its own inherent shortcomings, but simply because it was never popular."

No, they just flip out mob-style when they hear somebody's badmouthed an atari system.

• Like 2

I read the article just fine, thanks. The Lynx sold well over a million units - making it way more popular than a lot of other systems, yet somehow the writer manages to write "it was never popular".

What a garbage article.

I didn't read it, as a matter of fact. I made a point of not reading it. I don't care if somebody badmouths an Atari system or whatever floats their boat or generates ad revenue. I simply cannot stand these dumbed-down lists that wrongly call something "worst". I don't care what kind of second-guessing disclaimers were in the text to make themselves not look like complete idiots, if the title says "worst" and the Lynx is on that list (especially if it's only a list of ten items), then the list is wrong. Simple as that. It completely dilutes the meaning of "worst".

I read the article just fine, thanks. The Lynx sold well over a million units - making it way more popular than a lot of other systems,

You sure? I know Wikipedia says "5 million", but without a source, I really don't believe it. There was an article in one of the mags as the Lynx was ebbing out that said Atari had just shipped their 1 millionth lynx cartridge (not unit).

I agree though - don't see the Lynx as being on there.

Edited by DracIsBack

No, they just flip out mob-style when they hear somebody's badmouthed an atari system.

I don't blame anyone for getting upset over the inclusion of the LYNX in that article. There's a narrative on the net that I see slowly but surely taking hold, and it's disturbing. That narrative is that anything with ATARI stamped on it must be junk, or 'worst of' involving video games. And certainly anything that is an ATARI product must have been unpopular, I mean it was an ATARI after all, the worst of the junk that ever was.

• Like 1

I don't blame anyone for getting upset over the inclusion of the LYNX in that article. There's a narrative on the net that I see slowly but surely taking hold, and it's disturbing. That narrative is that anything with ATARI stamped on it must be junk, or 'worst of' involving video games. And certainly anything that is an ATARI product must have been unpopular, I mean it was an ATARI after all, the worst of the junk that ever was.

That was kind of what I was alluding to. I agree that there is a modern move to label anything with the Atari brand on it as junk. Current Atari Corporate isn't helping this idea at all either. The VCS was fantastic in its era, and folks who grew up on modern gaming systems simply don't appreciate 4K games. They are equally dismissive of most 8bit Consoles EXCEPT for the NES. This thought is moving into the 16 bit gen as well, where Sega is the whipping boy.

In fact I think you can draw an analog between thoughts on Atari and Sega. What happened with the Saturn and the Dreamcast (Sega Corp. pulling the plug, not the quality of the system) has colored so many people on comments about Sega. Now in turn, Sony is taking the lumps for the PS3 and PSP. It shows how fickle the gaming press (and community at large) is with lack of memory or awareness of what came before.

They should talk about the hardware & the software and then stop. Some great games and systems were made that few people have played. There have been crap systems and games that waaaaay too many people have played.

My OP didn't go into this, because I thought the original article I linked to was pretty obvious in how weakly written it was.

I think that by worthless they meant least relevant, meaning that it's basically a list of the biggest flops around. And everyone knows that Lynx was a flop, no matter what way you slice it. Besides, freaking out and rageposting on a forum because someone on the internet said bad things about something you like is the ultimate example of immaturity and arrogance.

I can see what you guys are talking about now, particularly about the larger trend on the internet, as it is apparently written by younger folk who grew up on Nintendo (or later) and sadly do not have a sense of history, or are not willing to do any reasearch beyond their narrow band of personal experience. As they say, history is written by winners and there is noone in Atari's corner. Us old farts need to keep up the good word on Atari. I try to do my part on my site here, and also here, which is a fan print zine run by--oddly enough a guy who works at 1UP. Anyway, beyond the battery life, the LYNX is a great system, it plays my favorite versions of Rampart and STUN Runner.

Edited by legeek

HEY GUYS -

Do you think it would be inappropriate for there to be an Official AtariAge Mailing Campaign to send letters in to shystery media outlets like 1UP telling them - firmly, honestly, and in civilized manner - how strongly we believe them to be wrong and why? If the author received 1,000 letters I bet he'd reconsider.

- Joe

it would be a wasted effort, I think. Do you think the writer of the article really cares what a few hundred Atari fans think?

Heck, there's no such thing as bad publicity - you'd probably just be encouraging him to write more such dreck.

Edited by ls650

I was about to post the same thing, the article is not entirely negative about the Lynx and they point out some real issues. However, I thought the licensing one was a weak argument. Sure there was no mascot for the Lynx, but it did get a number of arcade ports.

The licenses are a very good argument imo. A number of arcade ports is just not enough, to make people care about a system you needed some serious hype. Big names sell systems. The ones the Lynx had were either old or not the most popular arcade titles of its time. Atari Games had been overtaken in the arcades by companies like Sega, and Tecmo games such as Rygar and Ninja Gaiden were only mildly successful to begin with (NG´s popularity really took off with the NES ame). And Atari sadly failed to build up franchises of their own. Would not have to be a mascot, but anything.

So yeah, I think licensing was indeed important.

• Like 1

That's a real good point 108. The closest thing I can think of a mascot for Lynx is Zaku.

I thought Zaku was a fairly recent Air Zonk knockoff. Nah, mascots aren't needed, but licenses better than Kung Food certainly are. Imagine if they could've convinced Capcom to release a couple Megaman games on the Lynx.

• Like 1

Lynx was easily the BEST handheld of it's time with TG15 express being a close second.

The real crap handheld had the best games but you couldnt see them well and they were in B/W! Gameboy..?

Great battery life but who cares if its hard to see and B/W! Never could figure out how that crap box ever sold.