IGNORED

Mighty Jill Off

Creature XL

I posted this video in another already in an unrelated topic. However, I guess it deserves its own thread as other entries have their own too.

code: Creature XL

music: OSon

graphics: Exin

The story behind this release:

==============================

Exin moved to our town and attended a HAR meeting (local A8 guys). He is mainly involved with the Commodore scene.

As he found no one in that scene to realize his idea of converting the game to an 8-Bit computer, he had converted all the pics from the original game and they look awesome), he asked me at said meeting. So I slowly started coding. After figuring out the scrolling part (looks simple, however we are talking about over 2000 char lines (aka 69k of map data) so it is not your classic LMS-adjustment kinda stuff. Well, thanks to the power of ANTIC the solution wasn't too difficult, just took me some days to realize how ANTIC could help me the most :)

Besides that game I had another game in progress (which was intended for this years contest). But at one fine day OSon convinced me that we should finish MightyJillOff first and try to make it for the contests deadline. And here we go.

The game:

=========

...is extremely hard. But only until you got used to the control and your trigger-finger is warmed up :)

But that is the way it is supposed to be. Took me some tries to play the PC version as well.

Your only goal is to reach the top of the tower as fast as you can. We try to build an online hi-score list. So you can see how fast you really are. This will be online after the contest (see "known bugs").

Known bugs:

===========

The very last thing I implemented was the easiest, which every newbie would have been able to code.

The time counter. Took me 5 minutes or so. Well, except those three "CLC" instruction I missed to type.

But the error is systematic. So the times are still comparable ;)

• Like 7

Hmmm. Saw the title of the game and was expecting a totally different, ahem, experience. :P

Yeah, but the point of the game is to keep mashing the button.

It's like Downfall in reverse.

Excellent idea...

Simonl invert Things and it would be called UpFall :D !...

Edited by José Pereira

Congrats Daniel & pals for finishing something and for making it fun to play (the latter is something I never achieved). When I first saw the video, I thought: "Hmmmmmm, well, not very convincing game play and the sound is a bit too repetative for me". When I actually played it tonight on the real hardware, it was much more fun than expected. Controlling the jumps with the fire button is a challenge. Tigerduck immediately called it "Decathlon for the Fire Button" :)

Food for thought of an update:

- Pack the first and second part on disk and unpack it (40k => 18k, saves 50% loading time on real machine, something I also often forget when using the EMU).

- Fix sounds (drops off during game, esp. when you are killed, what happens quite ofen)

- Have option to toggle sound (off/silent)/fx (only)

- Have sound during intro already (up-scroll & downfall is silent - I first tought my cable was broken)

- Have "overall" indiciator during game which shows how high you already climed

- Include nasty pictures of course :D

Would be great since the game is fun!

Congrats Daniel & pals for finishing something

Yeah, finishing is the hardest part :)

Food for thought of an update:

Don't want to sound harsh, but we had a deadline :(

- Pack the first and second part on disk and unpack it (40k => 18k, saves 50% loading time on real machine, something I also often forget when using the EMU).

already done/thought about!

Even in this version the Map is already packed from 17k to 2k :)

- Have sound during intro already (up-scroll & downfall is silent - I first tought my cable was broken)

Intro music already done. downfall is supposed to be silent.

- Have "overall" indiciator during game which shows how high you already climed

Will never happen. that is part of the game to NOT know that.

Same with the idea of Bunsen to show the time while playing.

- Include nasty pictures of course :D

Already done. Are left out intentionally for the contest.

Our thoughts were, all the intro stuff and such is nice, but it would not change the actual game in anyway. So we had to choose if we release this version or maybe a version with better intro in one year. As the main part of a game should be the actual game...

Further, we also have a really cool loading screen with color cycling and such, however, we had to remove it because it only works with Atari SIO it seems. Or put it another way, with the myPicoDOS SIO it doesn't work.

>Don't want to sound harsh, but we had a deadline

Yes I know, I didn't want to sound harsh either. I only hope for an update. Many entries of the past years got much better with a V1.x, so I hope we'll get one here.

>Don't want to sound harsh, but we had a deadline

Yes I know, I didn't want to sound harsh either. I only hope for an update. Many entries of the past years got much better with a V1.x, so I hope we'll get one here.

It took v1.2 for GSB to get better :D I didn't have an entry this year but would still like to come last to keep up my record ;)

Good work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1 for the updated version in the future (with the enemies) :)

(more than one hour to get to the top??.. hope it has a pause button x) )

(also.. at some point write about your compression techniques please!)

Regards.

I guess its the buggy counter (explained somewhere else). At least it doesn't felt like 1h :)

Nothing special with the compression. Just the inflate/deflate stuff (deflate)

The map is depacked at the beginning of the game. The map has to be in the memory. The only easy to implement packing I could come up with is pack each tile line but packing 16 byte wouldn't be useful I guess.

What about becoming member? :D

Wow, I don't know if my attention span is that long. :sad:

As ABBUC members can now grab the SW-contest entries...

Just finished Mighty Jill Off with:

00:58:54

Can you beat this? :)

Probably he meant playing continuously for an hour.

OK, as I have forgotten to clear the Carry and the Carry is ALWAYS set the conversion from teh buggy counter should be:

real_M = M/4

real_S = S/2

is that correct?

Then my time would be: 14:57, which sounds about right.

The original game asks you to beat the level in 12 minutes. So its even for me much to improve :)

Have fun!