IGNORED

Next stop: Portland!

Metal Ghost

Ok, just got back from Phoenix, and now it's on to Portland!

I've been there about a dozen times, but I usually don't really have a lot of time to spend going out after work. However this next visit is going to be an extended stay. I already plan on hitting Ground Kontrol with a friend, as well as hopefully spending a bit of time at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo on Saturday.

However, are there any good classic VG stores in Portland? I'd almost have to imagine there are are, but I've never really scoped one out. I figured this was the time to though.

On a totally seperate topic, I need a bit of other advice: we plan on doing some light hiking while out there. I figured heading to Mt. Hood, while he's been to Mt. St. Helens before and thought it'd be cool to go back. Does anyone here on the boards have an opinion? Again, we're not mounatin climbing here or anything, just some good trail hiking.

You should definitely hit up Billy Galaxy. Vintage toy shop, but also sells old games. You're not going to find great deals there, but you are going to find things that you won't see elsewhere. It's also in the coolest neighborhood in Portland. While you're there, go eat at "Kenny & Zukes", and get a corned beef or hot pastrami sandwich. Or if you go in the morning, go to the Byways Cafe and get the corned beef hash. These places are both within walking distance of Billy Galaxy. Also go to Powell's Books. Very cool new + used bookstore that sometimes has old used game guides. Powell's Technical Books also has gone, and is next door. Again, these are also walking distance from Billy Galaxy.

There's also an independent bookstore on the other side of the river from that neighborhood, called Guardian Games. Cool store. Again, you aren't going to find great deals because they aren't a thrift store, but I picked up the DOS version of Pirates! Gold there CIB off of a bargain table for like $5. At least when I was there, they had a lot of inventory. This place is not within walking distance of the other stuff, but is a VERY short drive.

Chris

EDIT: I just noticed that you're going to Ground Kontrol. All of the stuff in the first paragraph of my post is also walking distance from Ground Kontrol.

Edited by Jibbajaba

About an hour south of Portland is Game Crazy Lancaster in Salem. They have a whole bunch of classic as well as new used stuff. Game Gear, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, Game Boy, N64, etc. It's really a neat little store, and has an Atari 2600 box as well as other not-for-sale stuff as decorations. Also Game Crazy South, but they have a lot less classic stuff. And me. I'm in Salem, too. come and I'll give you some stuff I no longer need!

Ditto everything Chris said, with an emphasis on Powell's Books; you have to see it to comprehend how huge it is. People love it so much, they volunteer to work there. Hiking? Well, a trip to Mt. St Helens takes you right past my front door, but for hiking I suggest going up the Columbia gorge a bit on the Oregon side. The "waterfall district" has tons of trails and impressive sights. A trip down Oneonta gorge is only possible this time of year and is still sometimes challenging, but worth it. There are tons of hikes here that take you behind or over some beautiful waterfalls. Also, for a milder but very cool hike, try Beacon Rock, on the Washington side.

Thanks all you guys! I'm taking notes for when I get out there. And Chris, I'll definitely give a shout if I think I can head south a bit!

Minus being away from the family for so long, albeit a big con, I'm looking forward to spending some quality time back in the Portland area. Like I said before, I get out there quite a bit, but the trips are usually pretty hurried. This will be the first time in a while that I'll actually have a few uninterupted days to check out the place. Last time that was possible (a few years ago) I actually drove up to Seattle for the weekend. You add good hiking weather (hopefully) and the RGE into the mix, and it should take my mind off of being away from the fam. :ponder:

Billy Galaxy has some great stuff, but his prices are over the top. I've been in there multiple times and never bought anything. It is definitely in one of the cooler neighborhoods in Portland, but unless you see something dire, you probably won't be buying anything from him.

THE BEST videogame store in Portland, hands down, is Video Game Wizards. They are 'out there' on SE 97th and Foster, but that store is packed from floor to ceiling with everything you would ever want. Everything. A8, Turboduo, CDi, C64...all the oddities, as well as Modern stuff, NES stuff, Promotional stuff, etc.

They are organizers of the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, but they won't be able to bring their entire inventory to the show. Definitely worth it to check out their location while you're here. I'll see you at the expo! Bring a copy of Pitfall, David Crane will be making an apperance!

Not my video, but a good profile of what you'll see. Lacey knows her stuff, and her husband owns the store. They are very cool, connected people, and will help you find what you want.

Edited by Desfeek

This is great....now I have a couple of shops that I will have to go vist. What a wonderful 'problem' to have!

I've heard people mention the Columbia River Gorge also. I think I'm going to finalize my plans either today or tomorrow. I won't have hiking time until next week, but at least that way I'll have the plan in place

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I can't wait to report in on my PDX visit!

I look just like my avatar there! :cool:

Ha Ha! Well that would be fine, if this guy wasn't attending! I should talk to Al about having an AtariAge booth next year, where the peeps can find out about AA and all of us can connect and get footrubs from the AA booth babes!

Edited by Chuck D. Head

This is great....now I have a couple of shops that I will have to go vist. What a wonderful 'problem' to have!

I've heard people mention the Columbia River Gorge also. I think I'm going to finalize my plans either today or tomorrow. I won't have hiking time until next week, but at least that way I'll have the plan in place

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I can't wait to report in on my PDX visit!

Eagle Creek Gorge...

Best hike along the Columbia River. Easy going, lots of waterfalls, trees and if you hike back 7 miles, you will see Tunnel falls. I have hiked this several times as far back to Walput lake. You won't be disappointed. It is one of the jewels of the PacNW.

Good luck,

-GrizzLee

Any opinions on Dog Mountain or Beacon Rock Mountain? Those are some names that friends of my buddy who are Portlanders threw out at us Not really sure where they are though in relation to the gorge, etc.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=622435

Good hike as well. A bit more open and strenous. You wouldn't be disappointed.

-grizzlee