IGNORED

Grogs Revenge

cimerians

Yes tried playing but fell off the mountain a lot and also ran into the mountain a lot. I did get past the first set of coins but if you accidentally see Grog then you are dead as a dornail, he doesn't have to catch you so basically died a lot that way too.

I was going to see if the roller controller would give me easier control but never ended up trying it.

I've made it to the 2nd mountain, but can never figure out how to get to the next. I can't make any sense out of the caves on the 2nd one and it's easy to get lost -- especially with Grog chasing after you. sometimes you just have to flee through a cave to get away from him, not really paying attention to where you are going or what cave took you there.

My god is this game hard. Has anyone ever "beat" it? I can barely make it to the next mountain but I can never get enough clams.

Its addictive but frustrating.

I loved BC's Quest for Tires...this one is a little bit of a let down methinks.

Nice to hear I'm not alone on this one. :P

A roller controller? That might work in the caves but Im not sure about the side scrolling:

roll up - move up

roll down - move down

It sounds like this could work and make it a bit of an easier game. I dont know. I dont have a roller controller though....and I didnt know the game supported it.

Nice to hear I'm not alone on this one. :P

A roller controller? That might work in the caves but Im not sure about the side scrolling:

roll up - move up

roll down - move down

It sounds like this could work and make it a bit of an easier game. I dont know. I dont have a roller controller though....and I didnt know the game supported it.

The Roller Controller has a slide-switch for choosing how you want to use it. The "Roller" setting for when you want to use it as a trakball for games that require it like Slither and Victory. The other setting is "Joystick" for when you want to play games that require the standard Hand Controllers/Super Action Controllers like Centipede, SubRoc, Star Wars, etc. using the trakball.

This was a brilliant idea by someone at Coleco and I have to give the unknown person or persons that came up with it a... BIG +1.

The Roller Controller has a slide-switch for choosing how you want to use it. The "Roller" setting for when you want to use it as a trakball for games that require it like Slither and Victory. The other setting is "Joystick" for when you want to play games that require the standard Hand Controllers/Super Action Controllers like Centipede, SubRoc, Star Wars, etc. using the trakball.

This was a brilliant idea by someone at Coleco and I have to give the unknown person or persons that came up with it a... BIG +1.

Wait a minute I had no idea! All these years and I had no idea about that.

That IS a brilliant idea. Excellent! I may have to find me a roller controller some day!

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because I just got a copy of the manual for the ADAM tape version of this. The manual is a bit of a joke in that they took the cartridge version of the manual and did some half-assed job of cut and paste to change it to the ADAM tape version. The pictures are all of a Colecovision, not the ADAM and part of the instructions tell you to insert the cartridge.

Resurrecting this thread because I just got a copy of the manual for the ADAM tape version of this. The manual is a bit of a joke in that they took the cartridge version of the manual and did some half-assed job of cut and paste to change it to the ADAM tape version. The pictures are all of a Colecovision, not the ADAM and part of the instructions tell you to insert the cartridge.

I wonder if that's something eColeco threw together to sell. The only time I have seen an original ADAM Grog's Revenge boxed it was in a small box just big enough for the DDP. I don't think it included instructions.

I wonder if that's something eColeco threw together to sell. The only time I have seen an original ADAM Grog's Revenge boxed it was in a small box just big enough for the DDP. I don't think it included instructions.

Yeah that's the version I have. I think the only difference is a high score table. The title screen animation might be new as well, I don't remember.

Yeah that's the version I have. I think the only difference is a high score table. The title screen animation might be new as well, I don't remember.

Unfortunately I dont have either the tape nor the box but the manual looks legit, especially since it is printed by Coleco Canada and is in both French and English, dont see our Texas buddy doin' that.

Bonjour you'all....!

Its the cart version instructions except for 3 places.

ON the cover its Grogs Revenge for ADAM

The instructions have a small paragraph talking about inserting a tape into ADAM and pulling reset, but the accompanying picture is a cartridge in the Colecovision.

The last place where there is a cut and paste is at the end where it refers to the high score table.

Otherwise identical to the bilingual cartridge manual..It came with a Kijiji deal for an ADAM and a whack of rare carts. Also came with a driving controller that was in a garage and has had batteries inside for 25 years.

Whats that Ebay/Craigslist/Kijiji phrase? Oh yeah. "As is but worked great when it was stored"

Edited by coleconut

Well the manual is kind of inconsistent with the Coleco US manuals, but when it appeared in stores in 1985 it really looked like that. Also the box was plain and white with a little bit of black printing on it, or maybe just shrink wrap. I know when I bought it I thought it was hilarious.

At the time Coleco US had dropped the Coleco Adam, and Coleco Canada had made a commitement to support the Adam for at least an additional year. So as part of their committement they released this game among others.

Well the manual is kind of inconsistent with the Coleco US manuals, but when it appeared in stores in 1985 it really looked like that. Also the box was plain and white with a little bit of black printing on it, or maybe just shrink wrap. I know when I bought it I thought it was hilarious.

At the time Coleco US had dropped the Coleco Adam, and Coleco Canada had made a commitement to support the Adam for at least an additional year. So as part of their committement they released this game among others.

Do you recall any other Coleco Canada releases as most in the States weren't fortunate to come across these... even secondhand? To simplify things, here is my ADAM Rarity List that I put together, if there is anything missing, although I'm pretty sure I got everything, please let me know.

Coleco ADAM Computer Collector Rarity List v2.00 (2011) (NIAD).rtf

Glad to see it's just not me having crap reflexes.I gave up on Grogs Revenge, i simply find it too difficult, i mean it just doen't give you a chance.Usually games give you a fighting chance and increase in difficulty, gradually, not his game, it's insanely hard right from the start.

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this thread... I got a inkling to play this game again.

I'll perface this by saying I did have this title bitd. I have to dig out the box, and I do believe it still has the Zayres sticker still on it.

To the game play, I have to agree w/ the consensus - this game is way to hard! Things I don't like: the 'pin precise' controls that are needed

to manuever throughout the mountain. ( I have to admit, it was very hard to do w/ the CV stock controller.) And #2, when you encounter Grog -

game over immediately? Didn't like that all!

Does anybody know how many mountains there were? I'm pretty sure back then, I made it to mountain 3 but had died immediately.

How about the ability to read Grog's movement - it seems random?

I actually do enjoy this game (it was my first introduction the the BC series) but you definitely find yourself getting frustrated quite a bit!

• 3 years later...

Necrobump. How much does the Adam tape version go for these days? I have someone who wants to buy mine.

A couple years ago a Canadian eBayer came across a small supply of these CIB (the box was a repurposed blank Digital Data Pack box) and sold them for around $55. Seeing as they are no longer available and almost impossible to find now, I would say that $55 price tag has increased a bit and depending on if your's is CIB, DDP and manual only or just the DDP will determine the price you should set.