IGNORED

Nintendo 64 controllers

SlowCoder

Ok, I'm going to have to say, that once you get use to the controllers, they're actually not bad. I've been playing my N64 a bit lately, and find the controller rather comfortable. I've not been playing any games that require the use of both the D-pad and joystick at the same time, though.

I did a lube job on a couple of the joysticks in some of my good controllers, and they are silky-smooth now.

I also have a controller with a wobbly joystick. Opened it up and cleaned out the white plastic powder. The "bowl" the stick rotates in is definitely pitted. I'm wondering it there's an easy way to fix, perhaps with a resin to fill the pits and smooth it? I think that's where all of the wear-out is happening. I know I could "just buy another controller or joystick module", but that's not the idea here. I'd love to figure a way of fixing the hardware.

Ok, I'm going to have to say, that once you get use to the controllers, they're actually not bad. I've been playing my N64 a bit lately, and find the controller rather comfortable. I've not been playing any games that require the use of both the D-pad and joystick at the same time, though.

I did a lube job on a couple of the joysticks in some of my good controllers, and they are silky-smooth now.

I also have a controller with a wobbly joystick. Opened it up and cleaned out the white plastic powder. The "bowl" the stick rotates in is definitely pitted. I'm wondering it there's an easy way to fix, perhaps with a resin to fill the pits and smooth it? I think that's where all of the wear-out is happening. I know I could "just buy another controller or joystick module", but that's not the idea here. I'd love to figure a way of fixing the hardware.

Did they even make any games that require use of both the joystick and the d-pad at the same time? I don't think they did.

• Like 1

Did they even make any games that require use of both the joystick and the d-pad at the same time? I don't think they did.

There are a few but usually they gave you the option of which you preferred to use most of the time, or in some cases (DOOM for instance) you could customize your controls from top to bottom.

even the DREAMCAST and original XBOX were fine by me, I do have huge hands though.

You know what they say................

Yeah, that N64... it had funky controllers.

If I ever get around to playing my 64, I need to get one of those snazzy looking mini controllers from Hori.

Ok, I'm going to have to say, that once you get use to the controllers, they're actually not bad.

Most controllers are that way. The N64 was another controller where I never understood the hate. They aren't award winners, but they're just fine for the vast majority of games.

Edited by jetset
  • Like 2