IGNORED

Donkey Kong

provider1

I've seen movies and descriptions of Donkey Kong for the 5200. Is there any way I can get a ready to play Donkey Kong cart for the 5200 from anywhere? Or is it only available with some crazy programming conversion from the 800 version?

It was available for the Atari 8-bit computer so I am guessing you could have a repro cart of the game made for the 5200 by someone who knows how to make Atari 5200 repros. It never existed in true Atari 5200 cart form unless there is a prototype out there.

Seems like Coleco had the license for Donkey Kong in cartridge form for home systems and used it as the biggest reason to buy a Coleco over a 5200, it's hard to imagine that they would have made one for the 5200. A conversion from the Atari 8-Bit computers seems far more likely.

But if Coleco HAD intended to make a Donkey Kong for the 5200 you can bet your bippy that it would have been a crippled cartridge to make the Colecovision look even better by comparison. Then they would have pulled Mr. Mattellivision himself George Plimpton to compare Colecovision Donkey Kong with Atari Donkey Kong and find that Colecovision Donkey Kong played much more like REAL Donkey Kong, and Atari Donkey Kong was just a pile of poo.

I've got the conversion from XL, and it's good if a bit weird. The first screen is reversed (you start out going towards the left from the right), but it's not bad. And yes, if you go to the AtariAge Store via this link you can get Al to make you a 5200 cart if you can get the bin.

Otherwise, it's available from Good Deal Games for $33ish.

• Like 1

I've got the conversion from XL, and it's good if a bit weird. The first screen is reversed (you start out going towards the left from the right), but it's not bad. And yes, if you go to the AtariAge Store via this link you can get Al to make you a 5200 cart if you can get the bin.

That's wayy cool I'm goona go purchase one right after I post this.

I'm really glad these DK carts are out there but I'm kinda surprised Nintendo's legal department hasnt caused issues yet, we all know how they can be.

How do I contact this Al person about it?

That's wayy cool I'm goona go purchase one right after I post this.

I'm really glad these DK carts are out there but I'm kinda surprised Nintendo's legal department hasnt caused issues yet, we all know how they can be.

I think because Coleco has the rights to distribute that version of the game however it falls onto Coleco . . . plus its just bad press on Nintendo suing fans of the game for a system they are clearly NEVER going to support.

How do I contact this Al person about it?

Click on the store link at the top right of your screen :D

I've got the conversion from XL, and it's good if a bit weird. The first screen is reversed (you start out going towards the left from the right), but it's not bad.

Really?? The A8 version (which was ported to 5200) isn't that way, you start off on the left heading right just like in all versions of DK. I seem to remember playing the 5200 version on my flash cart years back, don't remember that. Are there 2 versions or am I remembering wrong?

I've got the conversion from XL, and it's good if a bit weird. The first screen is reversed (you start out going towards the left from the right), but it's not bad.

Really?? The A8 version (which was ported to 5200) isn't that way, you start off on the left heading right just like in all versions of DK. I seem to remember playing the 5200 version on my flash cart years back, don't remember that. Are there 2 versions or am I remembering wrong?

I remember it the same as you but perhaps he means the top where you save the girl?

The arcade version has 5 risers to climb, the 8-bit version only has 4. So you save the girl from the opposite direction.

http://donkeykong.gamebub.com/classic.php

Edited by Official Ninja

My apologies, my brain doesn't work very well and I was remembering incorrectly.

My DK for 5200 DOES start in the normal position, it has the 4 risers instead of 5 and ends on the opposite side of the arcade. Guess I stayed underwater too long during my morning swim today :P So it's likely a straight up XL conversion. It's really a great conversion and highly recommended.

Well I tried to email the Atari Age site from various links, asking about making a 5200 cartridge for the 800 Donkey Kong (as well as Oil's Well, Millipede, and Rocklan Gorf), but got no response whatsoever. Is there a way I can email someone who could do these conversions for me directly, so I can get an answer about what I want here and who to pay?

Well I tried to email the Atari Age site from various links, asking about making a 5200 cartridge for the 800 Donkey Kong (as well as Oil's Well, Millipede, and Rocklan Gorf), but got no response whatsoever. Is there a way I can email someone who could do these conversions for me directly, so I can get an answer about what I want here and who to pay?

Just PM Albert, he's been swamped with the forum upgrade so it might take him a little time to get back to you, but he will.

Has there been a 5200 conversion of Oil's Well? I haven't seen one posted, although it was discussed here:http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/143208-oils-well-conversion

Also, is there any difference between Roklan's 400/800 port of Gorf and the CBS 5200 port other than the controls? You can get the digital controls fix for the CBS port here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/149066-season-2-5200-hsc-round-14-gorf-digital-controller-fix

In that case, if you can't wait for Al to get back to you, just go over to gooddealgames.com. The XL conversion for 5200 is showing as in stock right now for $32.75.

In that case, if you can't wait for Al to get back to you, just go over to gooddealgames.com. The XL conversion for 5200 is showing as in stock right now for $32.75.

Or Atarimax.com . Steve does his carts for $29.95 and no charge for shipping. http://www.atarimax.com/freeshippingsale/

I don't see Donkey Kong but I'm sure if you email him he'll make it. Either way it's definitely worth the money. It's the best home version from that era...blows away the Colecovision effort. Really, if you get a flash cart you can just put the file and play that way (DK Jr. as well!).

• Like 1

Or Atarimax.com . Steve does his carts for $29.95 and no charge for shipping. http://www.atarimax....eeshippingsale/

I don't see Donkey Kong but I'm sure if you email him he'll make it. Either way it's definitely worth the money. It's the best home version from that era...blows away the Colecovision effort. Really, if you get a flash cart you can just put the file and play that way (DK Jr. as well!).

Or people could just PM me for 5200 repros, I have my own circuit boards and charge less than both of those options. :P

Or Atarimax.com . Steve does his carts for $29.95 and no charge for shipping. http://www.atarimax....eeshippingsale/

Or people could just PM me for 5200 repros, I have my own circuit boards and charge less than both of those options. :P

That too. I didn't want to speak on your behalf, I figured you'd come along and say so if you still made those.

That too. I didn't want to speak on your behalf, I figured you'd come along and say so if you still made those.

Yep, I am actually sitting on a stockpile of brand new, never played carts. Thanks. :)