IGNORED

5200 HSC game request/suggestion thread

zylon

I'll pin this to the top for easy access. :) This is the place to request games for HSC play. I'll draw a few from here to make up the round polls from time to time. Just make sure the game you want has an actual scoring method. Games will not be repeated in a season, but can be considered for the next season's play. Official releases preferred, but homebrews, conversions, and protos can be mixed in. Not everyone has those and I don't want to exclude anyone.

Just list about 5 games you'd like to see. I'll take care of the variations and modes. ;)

Top consideration will be given to common games to generate good participation.

Pitfall doesn't start on emulators but i think classics made a fix.

I could post the ROM here for people that need it. :)

There were fixes made to all the "4-port only" games - Mountain King, Pitfall, and K-Razy Shootout. Of course, you need a mutli-cart to take advantage of these, but I'm guessing a lot of us have them by now. With the existance of these fixed roms, I don't see why they would have to be any more off-limits than the prototype games (Millipede, Xevious, Looney Tunes Hotel, etc.)

Looks like the fixes were posted here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/162235-list-of-5200-games-that-do-not-work-on-4-port-model/ (post #9 by Mitch)

Edited by sdamon

Does Space Dungeon work with one controller?

For me the ship thing i control only fires in the lower right i can't get very far in this one.

I'm pretty sure you need both controllers... one fires, the other shoots. Preferably, you have the controllers locked together with the adapter that came with Robotron and Space Dungeon.

Some games deserving serious HSC treatment:

Miner 2049er-- excellent platform action!

H.E.R.O.-- top notch cave diving challenge

Wizard of Wor-- super fun maze shooter

Xari Arena-- excellent yet underrated(or forgotten) prototype

Frisky Tom-- another great proto; must pause during or before last man dies for HS pic

Many more wants, but these are a great place to begin digging a little deeper into the 5200's library :)

I've had a four port laying around for a long time and finally got the switch box (actually two) in a recently purchased lot so I was able to finally fire up my four port and play Mountain King!

I don't believe that Robotron 2084 and Space Dungeon will work with one controller… I was happy to finally get a controller coupler (in the same lot I got that four port switchbox) and really enjoy playing these two games! the rubber bands wasn't working out so favorably!

I am with Zylon in his attempt to give consideration to the most common games to increase participation… I am limited with the games I own and do not have a multicart and no means for emulation… other than Xevious and Millipede, I don't have any unreleased/protos in my collection, though I am slowly trying to get more titles that interest me… I'm looking at a few titles I'd like to have in cart form, as well as more official releases…

And Zylon, if you get a 5200 Berzerk, please, please send it my way :) I've had no luck in getting this game, and I really want it! I've had alot of fun playing Vectrex Berzerk and Colecovision Frenzy!

Edited by Sonic R

Does Space Dungeon work with one controller?

For me the ship thing i control only fires in the lower right i can't get very far in this one.

I'm pretty sure you need both controllers... one fires, the other shoots. Preferably, you have the controllers locked together with the adapter that came with Robotron and Space Dungeon.

Cool, thanks for the info. :)

Robotron is somewhat playable with one controller.

I fire in the same direction i move.

Actually, the last copy of Berzerk here spent a year as my coaster for punishment. ;)

Robotron is playable with 1 control, but not Space Dungeon. I'm not above using 1-controller only as a bonus challenge on those 2 games. :twisted:

In the case of some Activision titles and ones with questionable compatibility, I may allow the A8 versions as a substitute.

Typically, I drop the winner and loser of each poll and sub in some different games. (likely from this page :P )

In reviewing HSC participation from the last 2 seasons, many players have only between 10-20 games, thus my effort at keeping commons alive. Also using original hardware should not be a handicap versus emulation. I will be adding a bonus challenge using a variation of a common game to any protos, etc that get voted in so that everyone has a chance at some points instead of sitting out. If you look at the standings, there's a huge gap that I'd like to level a little bit while still rewarding excellent play.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...