IGNORED

Do you Nostalgic feel the same as me about 80's?

José Pereira

Women of the 70's and 80's were hot. Refined with manners. Elegant. Sexy, exotic. Today many of them are trashy. Actually they are emulating a trashy societal mass-media directive of a sorts.

There is some camera shake in Star Trek. But definitely not like what you see today. Also, isn't the average cut-scene today something like .45 seconds? Whereas in the 70's it was between 6 and 10 seconds? Movies from back then gave you time to immerse yourself and enjoy the scenery. I'm not impressed with directors spending half-a-mil on a shot that lasts 1 second.

So today, we have nervous editors and fidgety camera operators. Too much fake action. I certainly do not view the world as a vibrating mess, darting here and there, bouncing around like my momma's titties.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Well hate me if you want to but because of the Amiga 1000 landing slap bang in the mid 80s NOTHING will ever compare to that machine and hence the revolutionary atmosphere of those times.

Women looked like crap though, like painted Halloween dolls with army haircuts....

YES! The Amiga 1000 was, and is a Revolutionary Device, a True Leap of Technology.

NO! ERROR #666: Any given average 1980s-vintage 20-something Halloween Doll woman was smarter, cooler, more together, and waaaaay sexier than any given average 2011 20-something Tattooed, over-pierced, 24/7-TXTing, TV-addled, ADHD-having, Ritalin to Xanax, X, & Coke doing, Zero-attention-span having, soon-to-be-ever-widening, "Normal" Snookie-ist who lists "cutting herself" as a hobby.*

Please check your reality, and try again.

Like Totally. lol.

* Not that I blame them... after-all, they are your kids, ha. There is no doubt that the Hippies-Yuppies, & Gen-X parents have completely made a lot of wrong decisions about how to run the world... these modern women are just the product of the genetics & environment that was bestowed upon them... but if you ever find yourself wondering if dating 24 year olds is a wise idea, think about the above error message, and look for a 42 year old, instead, ha.

• Like 1

Well hate me if you want to but because of the Amiga 1000 landing slap bang in the mid 80s NOTHING will ever compare to that machine and hence the revolutionary atmosphere of those times.

Women looked like crap though, like painted Halloween dolls with army haircuts....

YES! The Amiga 1000 was, and is a Revolutionary Device, a True Leap of Technology.

NO! ERROR #666: Any given average 1980s-vintage 20-something Halloween Doll woman was smarter, cooler, more together, and waaaaay sexier than any given average 2011 20-something Tattooed, over-pierced, 24/7-TXTing, TV-addled, ADHD-having, Ritalin to Xanax, X, & Coke doing, Zero-attention-span having, soon-to-be-ever-widening, "Normal" Snookie-ist who lists "cutting herself" as a hobby.*

Please check your reality, and try again.

Like Totally. lol.

* Not that I blame them... after-all, they are your kids, ha. There is no doubt that the Hippies-Yuppies, & Gen-X parents have completely made a lot of wrong decisions about how to run the world... these modern women are just the product of the genetics & environment that was bestowed upon them... but if you ever find yourself wondering if dating 24 year olds is a wise idea, think about the above error message, and look for a 42 year old, instead, ha.

I agree with everything you say here except for one thing which I shall mention later. This TXT'ing thing is way out of control. Even my asshole middle-aged sister can't get away from texting 6 different conversations while driving. For real! Society is simply distracted with media and flashing lights. Shit.. I've seen 10 year olds saddled with two smartphones and netbook, doing homework, and eating, and socializing in silence. They sometimes sit around a table and text to the person sitting next to them.

The one thing I do not agree with is the Amiga being the cat's ass! Sure it was undoubtedly a leap of technology -- one that fell flat on it's face. That was the shittiest computer around. If you've bothered to read any of my other posts from time to time, you'll understand why.

The one thing I do not agree with is the Amiga being the cat's ass! Sure it was undoubtedly a leap of technology -- one that fell flat on it's face. That was the shittiest computer around.

What?? That's crazy talk. The Amiga was the ultimate 80's computer. How could anybody like Atari 8-bits and not like the Amiga? It's the next generation Atari.

• Like 1

The one thing I do not agree with is the Amiga being the cat's ass! Sure it was undoubtedly a leap of technology -- one that fell flat on it's face. That was the shittiest computer around.

What?? That's crazy talk. The Amiga was the ultimate 80's computer. How could anybody like Atari 8-bits and not like the Amiga? It's the next generation Atari.

I absolutely loved the Atari 400/800. Especially Star Raiders. Damned wasn't that good or what? Though I never saw it as a serious computer. Never. Sorry. That would be reserved for my Apple ][+ and //e. And for many reasons - which are beyond the scope of this topic. We shall, however touch on one of them.

Crazy talk indeed, perhaps. Still, the Amiga will little more than a showcase of custom chips. Now, I think custom chips are sexy and all that. But when you start to tie your O/S to them you are asking for trouble. Not only that, the O/S was sluggish and tedious. There was little practical software. The machine was full of promises and not much more than a front-end-terminal to the nicely done VideoToaster by NewTek. I don't recall any great Amiga games that had the replayability factor like Atari's games. Nor do I recall ever being able to quickly edit a text file, like a personal journal for example, on the Amiga, as fast as I could on the Apple II series. And transmitting that text file to another computer went faster with a 300-baud modem and Apple II than an Amiga-500 with a 2400-baud modem. I'm taking into consideration the time it takes from power on till the last <EOF> marker was sent.

A lowly text file, at 300-baud? Am I nuts to use that as a comparison? Not at all. It was the user experience. And the II series had it all together, not unlike the 400/800 and C-64.

I remember, the II was a series of clicks and whirls by the drive and a few commands on the menu. Bam! We're done! The Amiga was a grinding and crawling experience with a busy-interface which just got in the way of itself. Especially the telecommunications software. Ugghghhhh, don't make me sick, please! And GEM on the 520/1040 was almost as bad, but I digress..

Whatever the Amiga had or didn't have, one thing's for certain, It didn't have the MAGIC necessary to succeed and morph its way to the modern day. The PC and Macintosh had the "stuff"..

A lot of the "stuff" was basic run-of-the-mill non-constraining generic hardware, and the MAGIC came by way of software. Software that could be written without limitations imposed by custom hardware. And that custom hardware was next to impossible to upgrade in-situ. The Amiga depended too much on those custom chips. And any major change to those chips was likely to break software that was written to take advantage of them! Stillborn. With no ability to expand and grow. Really! And the MAGIC is sometimes a simplistic beauty. A nice balance of elegance and brute force. The Amiga was none of that. It was a tangled mess of custom logic that made no sense. It was as if a schizoid cut out part of her brain and used it as a model for node layout. Yeck!!

Just do me a favor and don't get me started on the disk and storage subsystem of the Amiga. BLLAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!! I think I'm gonna go throw up now. You will excuse me for a moment.

But do note that the Apple II eventually became the design philosophy of the PC. All the software routines were completely open and well publicized, as was all the hardware timings and other goodies. All this could be transferred to future hardware with little difficulty.

Crap, man, I have a lunar lander game from 1978 I can play on my modern multi-GHz pc. All thanks to open standards and NON-PROPRIETARY HARDWARE!

Being open and usable, now that's what makes a computer state-of-the-art. Something that can grow and change with the user's whims. Flexibility. Adaptability. Supporting open standards. It's all intangible, but it makes or breaks a "system".. Whatever it may be. And to me, the Amiga (and Ti-99/4A) were boxes closed tighter than a you know what.

So I say the Bomb was the Apple II, and PC, and to lesser extents any other 8-bit machines of the era. But the Apple II really was king for those previously mentioned intangible reasons. The PC simply followed it and expanded on it.

For several years, my Apple //e sat beside my Amiga-500. And whenever I wanted to get something done or have a little fun I'd always end up with the //e fitting the bill. It's not that I didn't give the Amiga a fair shake or anything. I sure did! I remember always going into the Commodore shop (which also had some Atari and Apple stuff too) and always getting the answer, "Not yet. It's coming though." This was in response to me trying to find an application or game or some other piece of software I had for years on the //e, but couldn't find the Amiga equivalent of. The Amiga was one big technology demonstrator funded by early adopters. There was no love in its craftmanship or assembly. Ultimately, I trashed my Amiga and retired my //e to storage when the PC came into its element with Microsoft Office and Windows 3.1 !! Don't laugh. I couldn't fuck around with waiting minutes to get to a document or game or stuff like that. The PC served up its files with the same expediency as the Apple //e did. Appleworks and MS Office were simple speedkings the Amiga couldn't live up to. And the PC, by now, supporting so many file standards. Well, it just goes without saying..!

Edited by Keatah

Amiga 4000T 68060 Video Toaster Flyer owner & Natami supporter here. Had an Amiga 1000 shortly after it's introduction, and own the Premiere Issue of Amiga World, from when it first was published. Sold Amigas during the time of the 1000, & 500/2000/2500. Have shelves of Amiga books, and have read every page of the hardware reference manual, and all of the other Commodore-released Technical information...

Please, don't do it. ("Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch, by step by step by inch by inch!....").

We'll just pretend that he never said that, since he seemed very rational... up until that statement. Hopefully, he won't purse it, and we won't have to hoist any cartoon anvils...

• Like 1

I guess people who didn't know and looked at many of the games sold would have no idea how revolutionary it was...just like the A8 it was never programmed to 100% of it's potential. Only the badge has changed on the top :)

Taken in the context of 1985 NOTHING came close...even in 1990 a PC costing $5000 couldn't do Shadow of the Beast any better A/V wise.

But yes I accept it's a personal opinion :)

I absolutely loved the Atari 400/800. Especially Star Raiders. Damned wasn't that good or what? Though I never saw it as a serious computer. Never. Sorry. That would be reserved for my Apple ][+ and //e. And for many reasons - which are beyond the scope of this topic. We shall, however touch on one of them.

Crazy talk indeed, perhaps. Still, the Amiga will little more than a showcase of custom chips. Now, I think custom chips are sexy and all that. But when you start to tie your O/S to them you are asking for trouble. Not only that, the O/S was sluggish and tedious. There was little practical software. The machine was full of promises and not much more than a front-end-terminal to the nicely done VideoToaster by NewTek. I don't recall any great Amiga games that had the replayability factor like Atari's games. Nor do I recall ever being able to quickly edit a text file, like a personal journal for example, on the Amiga, as fast as I could on the Apple II series. And transmitting that text file to another computer went faster with a 300-baud modem and Apple II than an Amiga-500 with a 2400-baud modem. I'm taking into consideration the time it takes from power on till the last <EOF> marker was sent.

A lowly text file, at 300-baud? Am I nuts to use that as a comparison? Not at all. It was the user experience. And the II series had it all together, not unlike the 400/800 and C-64.

I remember, the II was a series of clicks and whirls by the drive and a few commands on the menu. Bam! We're done! The Amiga was a grinding and crawling experience with a busy-interface which just got in the way of itself. Especially the telecommunications software. Ugghghhhh, don't make me sick, please! And GEM on the 520/1040 was almost as bad, but I digress..

Whatever the Amiga had or didn't have, one thing's for certain, It didn't have the MAGIC necessary to succeed and morph its way to the modern day. The PC and Macintosh had the "stuff"..

A lot of the "stuff" was basic run-of-the-mill non-constraining generic hardware, and the MAGIC came by way of software. Software that could be written without limitations imposed by custom hardware. And that custom hardware was next to impossible to upgrade in-situ. The Amiga depended too much on those custom chips. And any major change to those chips was likely to break software that was written to take advantage of them! Stillborn. With no ability to expand and grow. Really! And the MAGIC is sometimes a simplistic beauty. A nice balance of elegance and brute force. The Amiga was none of that. It was a tangled mess of custom logic that made no sense. It was as if a schizoid cut out part of her brain and used it as a model for node layout. Yeck!!

Just do me a favor and don't get me started on the disk and storage subsystem of the Amiga. BLLAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!! I think I'm gonna go throw up now. You will excuse me for a moment.

But do note that the Apple II eventually became the design philosophy of the PC. All the software routines were completely open and well publicized, as was all the hardware timings and other goodies. All this could be transferred to future hardware with little difficulty.

Crap, man, I have a lunar lander game from 1978 I can play on my modern multi-GHz pc. All thanks to open standards and NON-PROPRIETARY HARDWARE!

Being open and usable, now that's what makes a computer state-of-the-art. Something that can grow and change with the user's whims. Flexibility. Adaptability. Supporting open standards. It's all intangible, but it makes or breaks a "system".. Whatever it may be. And to me, the Amiga (and Ti-99/4A) were boxes closed tighter than a you know what.

So I say the Bomb was the Apple II, and PC, and to lesser extents any other 8-bit machines of the era. But the Apple II really was king for those previously mentioned intangible reasons. The PC simply followed it and expanded on it.

For several years, my Apple //e sat beside my Amiga-500. And whenever I wanted to get something done or have a little fun I'd always end up with the //e fitting the bill. It's not that I didn't give the Amiga a fair shake or anything. I sure did! I remember always going into the Commodore shop (which also had some Atari and Apple stuff too) and always getting the answer, "Not yet. It's coming though." This was in response to me trying to find an application or game or some other piece of software I had for years on the //e, but couldn't find the Amiga equivalent of. The Amiga was one big technology demonstrator funded by early adopters. There was no love in its craftmanship or assembly. Ultimately, I trashed my Amiga and retired my //e to storage when the PC came into its element with Microsoft Office and Windows 3.1 !! Don't laugh. I couldn't fuck around with waiting minutes to get to a document or game or stuff like that. The PC served up its files with the same expediency as the Apple //e did. Appleworks and MS Office were simple speedkings the Amiga couldn't live up to. And the PC, by now, supporting so many file standards. Well, it just goes without saying..!

There was nothing even remotely like an Amiga 1000 for less than $50,000 end of story. No other home/business/personal computer would let you playback 25/30FPS animation full screen even in full colour and no other home computer could playback sample files written to floppy by a $4000 Fairlight Synthesizer keyboard.

They may be just custom chips but it took 8 years for anyone to exceed it in Wintel/Mac/Atari world sorry, unlike the A8 which after the launch of the C64 in 1981 looked to be on rocky ground just 15 months later ;)

A modern-day Amy built around FPGA?? OMFG & WTF and any other en-vogue internet euphemism you can concoct.

Good god!! Who would want to play with any of that old original Amiga software??

Psychiatrists organizing a patience testing examination perhaps?

BBBBBBBbbbbbbbwwwvvvvvvvv---bwaaahahahaaaaa I can hardly contain myself. It's coming out both ends now..

Nice looking board though.

Edited by Keatah

There was nothing even remotely like an Amiga 1000 for less than $50,000 end of story. No other home/business/personal computer would let you playback 25/30FPS animation full screen even in full colour and no other home computer could playback sample files written to floppy by a $4000 Fairlight Synthesizer keyboard.

They may be just custom chips but it took 8 years for anyone to exceed it in Wintel/Mac/Atari world sorry, unlike the A8 which after the launch of the C64 in 1981 looked to be on rocky ground just 15 months later ;)

Yes yes yes... and all that. But the machine sucked royally. You couldn't DO anything with it unless you spent that $50,000 on external hardware or tape decks to capture the pitiful slow frame-by-agonizing frame raytracing.. Sound may have been a better affair, but who cared about that anyways.

And who the hell needed a computer to playback Fairlight files back then? If you needed that capability, you bent over and took it up the ass by working **WITH** CMS/Fairlight themselves.

Nobody outside of professionals producing B5 needed the Amiga's capabilities anyways. All of it was just experimental non-sense trying to get itself marketed as a home computer.

NOBODY, I REPEAT, NOBODY

knows what an Amiga computer is today. Just walk down the street and ask! Maybe one in 1,000 might know if they are classic computing enthusiasts. And when I tried to show it off, foolish me, I just got laughed at. BAARRRRHHHHHuuummmpppfff!!

Pray tell, if the Amiga was so hot-shit, why did it die out and never become pervasive throughout the "anals" of computing history?

Edited by Keatah

The AMIGA line of computers was awesome indeed.

@Keatah

I personally know many many people who are well aware of the Amiga.

Anyone I showed even my humble A500 to back in the day were always amazed and impressed compared to their "PC'S" or

whatever machine the were using. No you did not need $50,000 on external hardware to get amazing results out of it lol!

Created animations in Dpaint and Brilliance and video titles for my home movies just using basic composite output straight to my VCR (using the A520 modulator) easy and fun with amazing results. Sure high end uses required more expensive additional add-ons but that was the case with any computer of the time. An Amiga had more Video, art, animation capability out of the box then anything else at the time. Some of the things you could do with those expensive hardware add-ons were beyond the capabilities of other platforms at any cost.

Funny, there are times reading your many posts on the topic of PC's that you seem fairly knowledgeable then posts like these remind me

why I generally don't get you, you claim to have given the AMIGA a fair shake yet everything else your posting comes off as ANTI-AMIGA and just plain ignorant. For the record:

NOBODY, I REPEAT, NOBODY

get's a point across or proves a damn thing by using over sized font ! Doing so does not make your claim anymore valid or truthful.

It merely implies your desperation to convince others of your point of view (which it is more than actual fact) and just makes you look like

a ranting troll.

Compared to any other classic computing platform of that era the AMIGA seems to not only of held it's value more than any ATARI / PC / TEXAS INSTRUMENT / APPLE / etc, simply because it is such a capable and useful / flexible platform that owners just don't want to give them up and the rare time they do tend to ask prices far above average compared to any other platform.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

@Keatah

[...]

Funny, there are times reading your many posts on the topic of PC's that you seem fairly knowledgeable then posts like these remind me

why I generally don't get you, you claim to have given the AMIGA a fair shake yet everything else your posting comes off as ANTI-AMIGA and just plain ignorant.

I just assumed the Amiga caused him some kind of psychological damage when he was young. (maybe a bully grabbed his Amiga and repeatedly slammed it into his nose, saying "Stop typing yourself! Stop typing yourself!")

• Like 1

I can appreciate the Amiga for its technical merits. And I so much wanted it to make it big-time. I guess I didn't have the patience to watch it develop. Or perhaps I was already indoctrinated too deeply with the Apple II way of things to switch sides or anything.

It was really frustrating to know and understand the true "potential" of the machine and not see it fully utilized. Having some good arcade game ports would have gone a long way toward "helping" me "like" the Amiga all that much more.

To be fair I learned a lot about digitizing video and some of the basics of Photoshop-like operations via Deluxe Paint III & PhotonPaint.. Operations and ways of working I would not again really do till 2002 on the PC. The few games I jammed on were JET and FLIGHT SIMULATOR II, F/A -18 INTERCEPTOR. Cool. And despite the tediousness I explored some of the more "sophisticated xfer protocols like Z-Modem and others.

Anyways I have no definitive exact precise reason why I hated the machine as much as I did. Perhaps it was the advertisements, cool in their own right, but pretty much out of my full grasp.

Come to think of it I truly disliked a lot of the 16-bit era. The machines did not seem as crisp and snappy as the 8-bits that came before.

Maybe there wasn't an established network of warez distribution.. I really don't precisely know!!!

Anyways I have no definitive exact precise reason why I hated the machine as much as I did.

Show us on the doll where the Amiga touched you...

I still don't get how people can prefer a 'framebuffer strapped to a <insert CPU type here>' computer over an Amiga. I was a jealous Acorn Archimedes owner but I got over it :)