IGNORED

How far can a expansion module go?

opcode

Hi,

I was thinking about several possibilities for a new expansion module on the CV when a thinking suddenly struck me: how far could I go before someone starts complaining I have changed the CV hardware too much? So I had the idea to post this "poll" :ponder:

Please let me know that you think would be a nice expansion for the CV:

1) I don't see any problem with expansions, ever if it upgrades CPU, video, audio, memory, etc.

2) I find the expansion idea nice, but if you change the video it isn't going to "look" like a CV anymore. A sound upgrade would be ok thought, as long as it doesn't "sound" too "hi-tech".

3) I like the standard CV graphics and sounds as it is, so I don't think any audio visual improvements would be a good idea. But no problem if you include extra RAM or bank switching.

4) I don't think any kind of hardware improvement would be a good idea. Please don't screew up with the CV!

5) What is an expansion module? What is "CV"? :)

Thanks!

Expansion modules should do just that - expand the system. I wouid welcome any expansion to by beloved CV - Intellivison capability, SuperGame Module, add everything to it and make it play Xbox games!

Seriously though Coleco should have gone with the SuperGame expansion instead of Adam and that rumored RCA Selectavision hookup. I think if they had done that they would have been a huge powerhouse even today.

First, you may want to look at EColeco.com as they have a lot of upgrades (mainly for the ADAM computer).

Second, the one mod I would like to see the most is the stupid 8-pixel color flaw in the TI graphics chip.

Say you plot a point at 100,100 with a color of cyan. Then you plot a point at 100,102 with a color of red. The second point becomes cyan.

The programmers of the CV games knew how to get around this, but it irks me when trying to program in basic on the ADAM.

Also, an Intellivision module would be a nice thing... :)

I was thinking about creating a small expansion module which would include extra RAM, SRAM (to save games), an extra Z-80 and one or two Yamaha sound chips (FM, square wave and ADPCM). It would be the basic thing. But some extra features would be possible, like a floppy drive or a new video processor. However I am fearing a few CV fans aren't going to find the new video such a good idea. Yamaha used to produce a nice VDP called V9990, which was much like a SNES, just without the mode 7 thing. But it has stoped production for a while... Another possibilities would be the V9938 or V9958. Those chips are compatible backward with the CV TMS 9918. V9958 features 128KB VRAM, has a lot more sprites, hardware scroll, bitmapped image, color palletes, up to 512x212 resolution, etc...

I was thinking about creating a small expansion module which would include extra RAM, SRAM (to save games), an extra Z-80 and one or two Yamaha sound chips (FM, square wave and ADPCM). It would be the basic thing. But some extra features would be possible, like a floppy drive or a new video processor. However I am fearing a few CV fans aren't going to find the new video such a good idea. Yamaha used to produce a nice VDP called V9990, which was much like a SNES, just without the mode 7 thing. But it has stoped production for a while... Another possibilities would be the V9938 or V9958. Those chips are compatible backward with the CV TMS 9918. V9958 features 128KB VRAM, has a lot more sprites, hardware scroll, bitmapped image, color palletes, up to 512x212 resolution, etc...

I think what would be really cool, is if you do the floppy drive thing, that you would be able to play existing game roms using it. Like a cuttlecart, but using a floppy drive and for the CV instead of 2600.

And I think I would fit into the "1" category, I think upgrades are cool.

I would like to see a unit that gives the additional memory of theADAM with a tape drive from it, so you can play the ADAM games without the keyboard. Only a handful require it anyway (2010, Family Feud, Jeopardy). Such a device should be relatively simple to create. But then I'm not a hardware hacker.

Plus, there are a few cart copy programs for the ADAM that could be programmed to work with the CV only unit.

Outside of saving the games in the ram, what else would this expansion do? Would you write games for the extra processor? If you have the capabilities to do this, can you make an Intellivison adapter?

Yes, of course. My intention isn't copy existing games (thought someone else would do it) but create new games for this expansion. The extra CPU would be used to process sound or anything else. I think some games need more sound capabilities than the CV sound chip would be able to generate. For example, Gyruss has always been a favorite of mine, but half of the game fun would be lost if the music isn't there [or if it isn't good]. Beside that, I am planning a game heavily dependent on sound and music.

About the Intellivision adapter, it is possible, but you are going to need the entire Intellivision chipset, and I think it would be difficult to find now...

Keep in mind that if your expansion module is "too much", then you might have an easier time just making a whole new system. Eventually, all you're using is the power jack, controllers, and video chip.

I'd also like to point out that as much as I'd like to see new and cool games on my ColecoVision... I don't really want to play NES games on it... I already have a NES for doing that.

--Zero

A funny thing about that ECOLECO.com Inky, Recently I baugt a new CV and with it came hte book and such. anyway I was looking through it and decided to call the number on there just to see. It was EColeco. I talked to the guy for a while. He told me he and a few others baught out the inventory years ago and still sell it online at that address. I took a look, seemed a bit pricey, but I guess it is all new!

At $100 a system, I actually question the point of them selling it for so high.

Did your system come with all the original packaging and etc?

I mean, I can get one for $40 through a different company. Though it's not exactly NEW..remember this...the games/systems haven't been "New" for close to 20 years anyway!

Just being critical of people who sell things for so high.

I personally think an expansion module for the sake of expanding the system's audio, video, memory, and CPU capabilities would be a risky venture, considering that you would need some dedicated souls to create the software that would make use of the expanded features. If it's for allowing people to play games made for other systems on the ColecoVision, I don't see a problem except for trying to manufacture the modules for anyone who wants one.

Not to sound critical of anybody but I don't see the point in designing something to allow the Colecovision to play games from other systems. Just buy the other system. But if you could upgrade the Colecovision to a faster processor, better graphics and sound through an expansion modual where you don't have to modify the Colecovision that would be cool. Of course then the problem is writing software for it. I would think you would have to write at least one good game to get people to try writing one themselves. You would have to also write up some kind of docs for the new system to make it easier for others to program. There are plenty of 65816 (the 16-bit version of the 6502) books out there but I never heard of any books for the upgraded Z-80. One other consideration is price. If it's to expensive, your going to have a hard time at getting people to buy it just to play the games (especially if there are only a couple of games for it) never mind to program it. It sounds like a monumental task but if you think you can do it, go for it! Besides a 'SuperColecovision' or maybe a cuttle cart type device, I don't see the point in it.

Allan

It would be nice if I could be able to stuff some extra hardware inside a standard CV cartridge, but the fact is the only possible expansion would be extra RAM. The CV cartridge bus is very limited (just address and data lines), but the expansion port does have a lot of extra lines, including soundin. The CV architecture is really nice... :)

If the graphics aren't going to change (and now I am convinced it wouldn't have to change), I don't see any need for a new powerful CPU. Just an extra standard Z80 would be enough. One would use it to handle sound or parallel processing, which a lot of arcade games from the 80's used to do. The capability to load games from standard 3"1/2 disks would help to sell the unit too...

But I understand no one is going to want a expansion module if it doesn't have good software and since I am just a single programmer, it surely makes for a good point... Maybe if I am able to convince some others CV programmers to start making games to this thing, it would be more practical... Interesting... I will thing about...

My point was that you could put together a 'supergame' type unit based on the ADAM computer. No keyboard, no printer, just the tape drive (with the possibility of hooking the ADAM floppy to it).

The benefits would be that there are a number of ADAMS out there you could do dev on, and then most ADAM games don't use the keyboard anyway. You already have some games available/

I have the books 'the hacker's guide to ADAM' one and two which have the schematics for the ADAM in them. Perhaps you could use that in your endeavor?