IGNORED

3D Gaming

cimerians

Anyone else have an insanely expensive TV and ridiculously priced glasses?

I know its a complete rip but come black friday of last year I was able to score a 57" bravia with a pair of glasses + a slim PS3 for under 2K.

Yup, my tax refund was blown but I've come to love the TV.

Anyway, I tried Killzone and some other demo's out there and for the past year really haven't been impressed. I'm also pretty lazy to put on glasses while I play.....

Last week I picked up God of War origins and the graphics are good although somewhat last generation style. What really impressed me was the 3D. I was playing on normal mode and then I hit the start button went into options and saw 3D on\off. I groaned once again thinking....do I want to get up and look for those damn glasses and give it a try? So I thought I'd try it, put the glasses on, sat back down.....turned on 3D in the options menu and I was really impressed.

The immersion I felt in the game was a whole other experience I never felt before. Even my non gamer family member tried it on and didnt want to remove the glasses while I played. Nothing really jumped out at you like in movies but the feeling of being INSIDE the world while your playing was there. The amount of depth and immersion was very cool.

Granted it all depends on the TV you have but I was wondering has anyone else experienced this?

I hate to say it.....I really do but I cant wait for more 3D games. Granted the glasses suck to wear and that still makes me just play the game on normal mode but when I do have them on I dont want to take them off. Its that good.

Anyone?

Yes to both - but probably not what you mean :D

My 65" HDTV was 5K when I bought it back in 2001. It predates HDMI by a couple years and 3D by almost a decade.

My glasses were $900 for 2 pair - finally broke down and went with progressives this year, which caused a nice jump in price. I always get 2 pair - one regular, the other polarized sunglasses.

I'm planning to replace my TV once the new kitchen appliances are paid off, and 3D support is one of the check boxes on my list. I saw the new 92" Mitsubishi at Fry's. Looked awesome, except for the fact that it has a glossy screen and I was distracted by the lights reflecting in it. The 82" model next to it had a matte display without of those distracting reflections. Both had 3D on their list, but I didn't look close enough to see if it came with the glasses or not.

I just recently now have a 3D TV as I was shopping for a top rated new plasma and spent the extra bucks for the 3D ST Panasonic model I picked up. Also grabbed XPand universal glasses for $60 a pair.

I'm stunned at how good 3D looks on some games, and the 3D BDs I've seen so far...

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Atari would do 3D versions of Tempest and Battlezone for the systems. Imagine that drone in Battlezone that drops from the sky and comes right at you, that would be so cool!

Wow thats a good idea. I never thought of classic games!

Tempest

Battlezone

Star Wars Arcade game

Gyruss

Tunnel Runner (atari 2600)

:P

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 52 inch Sony with 5 pairs of glass' and we love it. The best game I have played in 3d is Motor Storm, but Black Ops is a close second. If you want the movie with the best "pop out's" try The Final Destination, it is the best 3d movie that we have seen and we have about 10 of them so far.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be getting one in a week or two. Going to be one of our Xmas presents to each other. Looking at a 46 inch with a few pairs of glasses. I really wish they had the 3D horror movies from the 80's available on BluRay 3D. Friday the 13th III, Parasite, Amityville 3D etc....We've actually got a couple 3D moves already. Tron Legacy and Coraline. Looking forward to getting some more. Want to check out the Polar Express in 3D.

What games are available in 3D?

We'll be getting one in a week or two. Going to be one of our Xmas presents to each other. Looking at a 46 inch with a few pairs of glasses. I really wish they had the 3D horror movies from the 80's available on BluRay 3D. Friday the 13th III, Parasite, Amityville 3D etc....We've actually got a couple 3D moves already. Tron Legacy and Coraline. Looking forward to getting some more. Want to check out the Polar Express in 3D.

What games are available in 3D?

Here's a list of PS3 titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_PlayStation_3_games

and everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stereoscopic_video_games

The best 3D movie that has a lot of "things flowing or pointing" out of your TV is Despicable Me.

Amazing!

Legend of the Guardians is very good in 3D

Coraline is ok. It has its 3D moments and it looks great.

Clash of the Titans is average (movie kind of sucks though).

Tron I haven't tried yet but I really want to see this one in 3D.

I want Friday the 13th part 3 in 3D too. I have 1-4 and 6 on DVD but I want a blu ray of 4 and a 3D blu ray of part 3.

Yeah there's not a lot to choose from when it comes to older stuff.

Its a lot fun watching 3D movies though if they are done right. Certain games are really impressive just like movies. Some better done than others.

Uncharted 3 is 3d. I don't have a 3d setup, but seeing some of the scenes, i think it could be pretty awesome. Some levels i think i wouldn't be able to play because i would get sick of the motion. Anyone already played Uncharted 3 in 3d. Would like to hear about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh great, now I need to get Uncharted 3. I'm broke!

I want that title as well. I've stocked up on 3-D games this week however, Many can now be had at crazy low prices, so i'll wait on this title for now.

Beyond the gaming, there are also exclusive movies available only on the PSN. Yesterday I picked up the 1954 classic The Mad Magician starring Vincent Price from the Sony store! This is a GREAT flick and isn't available on Blu-Ray! I was surprised to see it offered. I only wish there were more classic 3D titles available, I'd snag them all for sure. Then I'd go broke as well!

Oh great, now I need to get Uncharted 3. I'm broke!

I want that title as well. I've stocked up on 3-D games this week however, Many can now be had at crazy low prices, so i'll wait on this title for now.

Beyond the gaming, there are also exclusive movies available only on the PSN. Yesterday I picked up the 1954 classic The Mad Magician starring Vincent Price from the Sony store! This is a GREAT flick and isn't available on Blu-Ray! I was surprised to see it offered. I only wish there were more classic 3D titles available, I'd snag them all for sure. Then I'd go broke as well!

Holy cow...is the Mad Magician in 3D? That would be very rare as I have never seen it on DVD or Blu-Ray let alone in 3D. I'm pretty sure there was a DVD out there as Amazon lists a few but you really can't find that. I'm a big fan of old horrror movies too especially Price. House on Haunted Hill, Raven, Comedy of Terrors, Last Man on Earth.....there are tons. Who can forget the The Abominable Dr. Phibes? :P

• 5 weeks later...

I wish Atari would do 3D versions of Tempest and Battlezone for the systems. Imagine that drone in Battlezone that drops from the sky and comes right at you, that would be so cool!

Wow thats a good idea. I never thought of classic games!

Tempest

Battlezone

Star Wars Arcade game

Gyruss

Tunnel Runner (atari 2600)

:P

You could play them all in 3d by using the 2d -> 3d button! :D

Edited by Gaztee