IGNORED

Combat airplane ID

accousticguitar

The first plane in the top left, is a German Fokker Dr.I. The red color indicates that it is flown by German WW I ace Manfred von Richthofen. The other WW I planes are Sopwith Camels i guess.

The single fighter is a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. The planes flying in formation are Northrop F-5 fighters.

The German Tank is a Panzer III, The tanks in formation are Sovjet T-55 tanks.

The tanks on the bottom right are Shermans.

• Like 4

The first plane in the top left, is a German Fokker Dr.I. The red color indicates that it is flown by German WW I ace Manfred von Richthofen. The other WW I planes are Sopwith Camels i guess.

The single fighter is a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. The planes flying in formation are Northrop F-5 fighters.

The German Tank is a Panzer III, The tanks in formation are Sovjet T-55 tanks.

The tanks on the bottom right are Shermans.

Definitely T-38's, not F-5's. The rest of your ID's seem correct though.

The battleship is an Iowa class battleship.

I'm not sure what a salvo from those 16" guns would have done to a few WW1 era biplanes (and triplane).

It's a close call between the Northrop T-38 talon and the Northrop NF-5B. These 2 look so similar that it's very difficult to see.

The air intake on the side is the most notable difference.

The NF-5B is based on the T-38 talon, so that's why they look so similar.

Reason i think it's a NF-5B, it's a fighter, the T-38 is a jet trainer. Why picture a jet trainer on a cover of a combat game, makes no sense? Al tough the color scheme is the same as the T-38 and it hasn't got ordnance.

Guess the planes on the bottom.

p0130707.jpg

1348852.jpg

Edited by Seob

The T-38 was derived from the F-5 (or was it vice versa?), so they practically look the same. Those planes pictured there appear to be single seaters, so they would be F-5s painted in the T-38 scheme. The Starfighter looks like the USN version, which was the F-104A IIRC?

No twin seaters. Look at the canopy. A single seater has only 2 windows, so one supporting beam. A twin seater has 3 windows and 2 support beams like in the combat cover.

T-38Talon_5.jpg Paint scheme is virtually identical on the Combat box to this photo of a T38... Maybe the artist envisioned the Combat game as a "trainer" for would be fighter pilots. ha

This is spot on. So it's not logical, but the fighters in formation on the box of combat are indeed t-38's.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...