IGNORED

STE or Mega STE

Charlie_

• 4 weeks later...

If you're just getting it for games, then any garden variety early ST will do. The Mega STE is going to be hard to find and expensive and it was a hassle to program support for the upgraded features of the STE machines so a lot of games won't look any better on the STE than on a standard ST. A regular 1040STF or 1040STFM is probably the best way to go. They'll be easier to find and cheaper.

Edited by OldAtarian

Gonna say it again though...if you sit down with one and see the upgraded games and demos,

you won't want to go back. :)

I've done the comparison. I used a 520ST originally (the original without the built in floppy drive) then a 1040STF, followed by a 1040STE, and now my main ST is an upgraded Mega 2 because there isn't enough that makes me want to use the STE over the others and some early games are either unstable or don't work. And of what use are demos? You sit in front of the screen and watch a bunch of shapes and colors fly past with maybe some music in the background with little or no input or interaction required. I can go to Youtube and watch most of the demos in videos, why do I need to run them on my computer? For the few programs that are actually STE enhanced or STE required, it's not worth the hassles that come with it. I also have a Falcon030 and guess what I run on it? ST games. Very few Falcon only games. If they weren't highly valued collectibles today, I'd say it was a complete waste of money. A 1040STF or STFM will be more than enough for most people and if they need something with more memory or the extra video speed of the Blitter, then the Mega ST is a good option.

If speed is the issue then what do you need a blitter for? Just install nvdi and you won't even remember you have a blitter?

And of what use are demos? You sit in front of the screen and watch a bunch of shapes and colors fly past with maybe some music in the background with little or no input or interaction required. I can go to Youtube and watch most of the demos in videos, why do I need to run them on my computer?

They are a form of artistic expression and that's their use. It may be art that you don't like and then it has no use. And by the way, if you found a game that wasn't patched to run on an STE then it was probably not worth the trouble.

If speed is the issue then what do you need a blitter for? Just install nvdi and you won't even remember you have a blitter?

And of what use are demos? You sit in front of the screen and watch a bunch of shapes and colors fly past with maybe some music in the background with little or no input or interaction required. I can go to Youtube and watch most of the demos in videos, why do I need to run them on my computer?

They are a form of artistic expression and that's their use. It may be art that you don't like and then it has no use. And by the way, if you found a game that wasn't patched to run on an STE then it was probably not worth the trouble.

What game released prior to the STE was ever patched? The STE had a relatively short life compared to the rest of the ST line, so it would not have made financial sense for publishers to go back into all their past releases and patch them to take advantage of the STE's extra features and it also would not have made financial sense for them to release games that required the extra features of the STE and would not run on a non-STE machine. So, demos are useless and the number of games that took advantage of the extra hardware in the STE was small, so why recommend an STE at all? Any non-STE model will run just about anything you throw at it and you'll never miss the few things that actually need STE features. I only got an STE because I needed one to fill a hole in the collection and I managed to find a bulk lot of Atari stuff cheap that it happened to be in, but the fascination soon wore off when I found there wasn't much that actually needed an STE to run. The same thing happened when I bought my Falcon030 when they were released. There was never much released for it here in the US and I ended up mostly running my old ST software on it so what use did I really get from it that I couldn't have had from my old 1040STF? Anyone new starting to collect ST computers should start with a basic ST model first because it will be cheaper and run most everything out there without issues. Dumping a ton of cash on an STE, TT, or Falcon straight away is only going to be a disappointment for most people because of how little was ever released that took advantage of the extra features of those models and how hard it will be to find and how expensive that software/hardware will be when you find it because of the rarity.

I've done the comparison. I used a 520ST originally (the original without the built in floppy drive) then a 1040STF, followed by a 1040STE, and now my main ST is an upgraded Mega 2 because there isn't enough that makes me want to use the STE over the others and some early games are either unstable or don't work. And of what use are demos? You sit in front of the screen and watch a bunch of shapes and colors fly past with maybe some music in the background with little or no input or interaction required. I can go to Youtube and watch most of the demos in videos, why do I need to run them on my computer? For the few programs that are actually STE enhanced or STE required, it's not worth the hassles that come with it. I also have a Falcon030 and guess what I run on it? ST games. Very few Falcon only games. If they weren't highly valued collectibles today, I'd say it was a complete waste of money. A 1040STF or STFM will be more than enough for most people and if they need something with more memory or the extra video speed of the Blitter, then the Mega ST is a good option.

Guessing you're not a demo fan... ;)

However, just because you're not, doesn't mean others are not. I personally love the eye-candy and know a lot of people who do as well.

I don't have the largest Atari game collection in the world, but most of my games run fine. Those that don't usually work fine with something like SELTOS, or the app that makes your multi-meg Atari look like 1 meg.

No way would I ever call a Falcon a complete waste of money. If you really think that about it, why don't you sell it to someone who might like it more?

Mega ST's are great machines. I use one to run my BBS. There...we agreed on *something*... :D

Wow... I'm not specifically talking about 1989 when I say a lot of games and software have been patched for the STe, TT and Falcon.

Where you been lately guy. Look at Dbug and klapauzius.net!

So Atari Age is allowing members to promote warez sites now? All of the games that I recognize from that klapauzius site were commercial releases and still under copyright protection. You're breaking the law if you download from them. It doesn't matter if they are modified from their original form or not.

Edited by OldAtarian

So Atari Age is allowing members to promote warez sites now? All of the games that I recognize from that klapauzius site were commercial releases and still under copyright protection. You're breaking the law if you download from them. It doesn't matter if they are modified from their original form or not.

Oh please! Atari Age has nothing to do with those sites, and they're not promoting anything. Straw-man fallacy, big-time! I think you're just want attention. You didn't seem to know that games had been patched for STe, in your earlier message. When someone PROVED you wrong, you want to sound off like some alarmist, moralistic messiah. HA HA HA! Oh please! Don't forget the sites hosting Amiga games patched for WHDload! HA! When you're done with that, clobber the all ROM sites. Good luck with all of that, and do let us know how it goes. But the point still stands, the games are patched for STe.

You're just here to besmirch the ST, that much is obvious, now.

• Like 2

Wow... I'm not specifically talking about 1989 when I say a lot of games and software have been patched for the STe, TT and Falcon.

This is just really uncalled for. Lots of things people do everyday are illegal. And we all have our own moral views for the reasons we do things. Don't hold yourself up as being better than anyone else. So stop stamping your feet and acting like an ass. Go away and let us have fun with our harmless little hobby.

Oh please! Atari Age has nothing to do with those sites, and they're not promoting anything. Straw-man fallacy, big-time! I think you're just want attention. You didn't seem to know that games had been patched for STe, in your earlier message. When someone PROVED you wrong, you want to sound off like some alarmist, moralistic messiah. HA HA HA! Oh please! Don't forget the sites hosting Amiga games patched for WHDload! HA! When you're done with that, clobber the all ROM sites. Good luck with all of that, and do let us know how it goes. But the point still stands, the games are patched for STe.

I never said Atari Age had anything to do with those. I said a member was promoting a warez site in their forums. Every other vintage hardware site I am a member of has a strict policy against that sort of thing. You must have failed reading comprehension in school if you interpreted that post in any other way.

And your other comment about me being here to besmirch the ST is beyond laughable. I've been an ST user since the day the first one hit the store shelves. All I'm saying in this thread is that there is no need for an STE when a standard ST will run almost everything that was ever released for the ST, is easier to find and is cheaper when you do find one. Your reading comprehension really is horrible.

Oh, wait. I see now. You're from Tennessee, a state tied with West Virginia for illiteracy. That explains your lack of reading ability.

Edited by OldAtarian

This is just really uncalled for. Lots of things people do everyday are illegal. And we all have our own moral views for the reasons we do things. Don't hold yourself up as being better than anyone else. So stop stamping your feet and acting like an ass. Go away and let us have fun with our harmless little hobby.

You may break the law on a daily basis, but I can assure you that I do not.

Shut up and go away.

• Like 1

Shut up and go away.

Why should I? Who are you to tell anyone to go away? You are the one who is telling people it is OK to break the law in a public forum, not me. I can't help the law being what it is. I didn't create it.

I simply pointed out where you can get patched versions of these games. I'm assuming that you already own versions of these games you download and just want to be able to run them on newer hardware. (like me).

Now...what I have noticed is that you've gone completely away from the original point of this thread, that there is little available software that is patched or enhanced for the newer STe machines and up. When proof is presented to the opposite, you take off on another tangent. The ancient time honoured tradition of distraction. I have a stepson who is like that... :)

Oh, wait. I see now. You're from Tennessee, a state tied with West Virginia for illiteracy. That explains your lack of reading ability.

THAT was totally uncalled for and you owe everyone in those states an apology. I'm from Kentucky. That makes me no better or worse than anyone else in this country. The same applies to you...

I'm starting to think of you as "Sour OldAtarian" instead of "OldAtarian"... j/k... :)

• Like 1

I never said Atari Age had anything to do with those. I said a member was promoting a warez site in their forums.

No, you said Atariage was "allowing" it. That ignorant statement suggests that Atariage has something to do with it (focus on your verb form of "allow" (actually a gerund, if you want to split hairs) if you're having trouble piercing through the dense fog that dwells between your ears).

And your other comment about me being here to besmirch the ST is beyond laughable. I've been an ST user since the day the first one hit the store shelves. All I'm saying in this thread is that there is no need for an STE when a standard ST will run almost everything that was ever released for the ST, is easier to find and is cheaper when you do find one. Your reading comprehension really is horrible.

You're the only one laughing. I join the others who'd like to see you be given the boot. If you see anyone else laughing, be assured they're laughing AT you, not with you. If you're not here to besmirch the ST, then you're here to play "know-it-all." Now there's something that's slightly humorous - a "dummy trying to play know-it-all."

Now the absolute depths of your ignorance and naivete are showing, here. That's a closed-minded, absolutely BIGOTED thing to say. It's bigoted, because I surmise by your besmirching the great state of Tennessee, that you fancy yourself from some more sophisticated locale. Well, by virtue of your bigoted comment, you have revealed an utter lack of sophistication, on your part. You're also completely IGNORANT because I'm not FROM Tennessee. I've lived in a few states, but spent most of my time in the North. So in your feeble attempt to impugn the literacy of a state that I'm not even from - in a halfass/ignorant attempt for reasons just noted - you yourself come across as a bigoted, ignorant jackass, with the mind of a [not-so-bright] child and the mental acuity of a mosquito.

Stick to what you know, and better yet, keep out of the ST forum, where you're not wanted, and where others have been putting you on "ignore."

Edited by wood_jl

I never said Atari Age had anything to do with those. I said a member was promoting a warez site in their forums.

No, you said Atariage was "allowing" it. That ignorant statement suggests that Atariage has something to do with it (focus on your verb form of "allow" (actually a gerund, if you want to split hairs) if you're having trouble piercing through the dense fog that dwells between your ears).

You're the only one laughing. I join the others who'd like to see you be given the boot. If you see anyone else laughing, be assured they're laughing AT you, not with you. If you're not here to besmirch the ST, then you're here to play "know-it-all." Now there's something that's slightly humorous - a "dummy trying to play know-it-all."

Now the absolute depths of your ignorance and naivete are showing, here. That's a closed-minded, absolutely BIGOTED thing to say. It's bigoted, because I surmise by your besmirching the great state of Tennessee, that you fancy yourself from some more sophisticated locale. Well, by virtue of your bigoted comment, you have revealed an utter lack of sophistication, on your part. You're also completely IGNORANT because I'm not FROM Tennessee. I've lived in a few states, but spent most of my time in the North. So in your feeble attempt to impugn the literacy of a state that I'm not even from - in a halfass/ignorant attempt for reasons just noted - you yourself come across as a bigoted, ignorant jackass, with the mind of a [not-so-bright] child and the mental acuity of a mosquito.

Stick to what you know, and better yet, keep out of the ST forum, where you're not wanted, and where others have been putting you on "ignore."

And you think acting like a baby makes you any better? Putting someone on ignore because they don't happen to agree with you or you don't like what they are saying is tantamount to putting your fingers in your ears and shouting over the other person like a bratty child would.

And it's not my fault that Tennessee ranks low in literacy. I actually took the trouble of checking the government statistics first before I posted that so someone couldn't attempt to shoot it down later. See, I back myself with facts before I say things like that. So my comment was not bigoted in any way, simply a statement of fact. If you can't handle it, that's your own fault not mine.

Edited by OldAtarian

Hey wood_jl, (and everyone else for that matter) just report this son of a bitch. Internet gives people a big mouth and lots of balls.

There is no excuse or room in this community for someone who can say what he said to DarkLord. We come from all over the world not to be judged by some jack ass.

• Like 2

Hey wood_jl, (and everyone else for that matter) just report this son of a bitch. Internet gives people a big mouth and lots of balls.

There is no excuse or room in this community for someone who can say what he said to DarkLord. We come from all over the world not to be judged by some jack ass.

You know what? I'm a member of at least 30, maybe 40 internet forums and you know the only place anyone ever hassles me? Atari Age. So I'm thinking you people here are the ones with the problem, because I'm well liked everywhere else I go.

You know what? I'm a member of at least 30, maybe 40 internet forums and you know the only place anyone ever hassles me? Atari Age. So I'm thinking you people here are the ones with the problem, because I'm well liked everywhere else I go.

I find that extremely hard to believe.

Keep up your insults, though, and you're going to find yourself on mod preview.

• Like 2