IGNORED

Darius Burst Another Chronicle on Location Test

Shaggy the Atarian

Here's something I've not been able to take part in before now - a location test. Thanks to Taito, I am testing out a brand new arcade game of theirs for eventual US release at my arcade in Utah. The game is called Darius Burst Another Chronicle and I've put up plenty of details here:

http://gamegridarcade.com/darius.html

It's almost like a console game in some respects, particularly due to the Chronicle Mode which has over 1300 levels at present, 2048 after an update. There's so much to do in the game and beside that, it's a lot of fun to play with others.

I'm not sure if there are many gamers from Utah here but if you are in the area or know someone who is, come check it out!

I can figure a few places out there which will get one of these but any place where their focus is mostly redemption then it probably won't be going there. It's too bad really because this game is awesome and it has so much to do that I think it's the kind of game arcades need to bring people back. Of all the games I've picked up at my arcade, I think I already have spent more time playing this already as it's an excellent game.

Damn it, I wish I could go over and help you out with Chronicle Mode. :) Have you gotten the timing down for a head-on Counterburst attack? I hear it's different from the PSP original's timing.

Do you have or know where to find a list of the locations where this American test is happening? I'd love to find one around my neck of the woods.

One more thing: when not using headphones, how well does the music come out in a busy arcade atmosphere?

onmode-ky

Edit: Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME??? Your DBAC cab had previously been at a movie theater less than an hour away from me, and which I have been to before (years ago)?! Why did I have to find out like this? WHY???

Edited by onmode-ky

I've heard of a few people who only found out about the NJ loctest after it was over. I heard about it the week they removed the game from the Regal and tried spreading word through Twitter but it was too late. As such at the moment, I only know of my test unit in the US. But by the end of the year it will be for sale at least so hopefully someone near you will be able to get it.

I tried headphones once and it was pretty good. The canopy actually helps with the sound in the first place but with headphones it's that much better.

I'm personally still trying to get the counterburst timing down but I've gotten pretty good with the Fixed burst. I did manage to clear one of the 1cc levels in Chronicle Mode but with two more left in that star system, it's proving to be very tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaggy, I called the movie theater who hosted your DBAC cabinet just before you got it, and I asked them if they would be getting the game back once it was released. The answer was no, and they cited technical problems with the machine when they had it, e.g., problems with the coin mechanism and the screen. Since the machine is yours now, have you had any such issues with it?

onmode-ky

Wow, that game looks pretty wicked. The graphics on the first stage kind of remind me of Super Stardust HD for PS3, and the swarming enemies look a bit like Galaga Legions DX.

I always thought Super Stardust would be awesome in an arcade cabinet, so it's cool to see this sort of product is still being made.

Yes there have been a few issues with the coin door. I've been working with Taito to resolve them. I fixed one issue with coins getting stuck on the switch but we've had another where if people put coins in too fast they somehow manage to jam before reaching the mechanism. It hasn't been too frequent though and I've been there to keep an eye on it in case anything does happen so it's been under control. I think it would have been helpful if when they tested it they should have communicated with Taito with any problems, which is the whole point of a test in the first place to avoid problems down the road.