IGNORED

I killed my heavy Sixer :-(

BigErn

It was suffering from some crazy RF interference. I tried shielded cables and ferrite beads, but no luck. Anyway, I took it apart and noticed the thick RF shielding was actually acting as an antenna and making it worse, because when I took it off the picture was clear. So I decided to switch out the thick shielding with the thinner one off a Light Sixer.

Anyway, I made the swap, and the Heavy Sixer screen is just black. Also, the first game I used to test it no longer works! (Good thing I didn't use my copy of Air Raid) Anyway the Light Sixer still functions, and I didn't manhandle the H6, so I'm pretty confused.

I'm pretty bummed, because the outer shell was in super good condition.

there she is... post-30237-0-69443000-1317441123_thumb.jpg

Thats a shame and it looks like a nice clean well looked after unit too,it does sound like a short to me too if its effected a game cart,when you take it back apart you may see where you went wrong.Usually near screw holes,cart slot and the jack fittings.

So I decided to switch out the thick shielding with the thinner one off a Light Sixer.

Could you post comparison pictures of the two type of shieldings? I know that the 2600 faq here on AtariAge and other sites mentions that the shielding was reduced in the light sixers, but I never found proof of this. I have two L6 and one H6 and they have the same rf shielding. A lot of threads here seem to confirm that the increased weight of the heavy sixer only depends on the much ticker plastic used for the bottom half of the case.

Here are some examples, but there are a lot of similar threads. Never seen a picture of a light sixer with "thin" shielding.

http://www.atariage....ier-than-vader/

http://www.atariage....sixer-question/

http://www.atariage....-a-light-sixer/

http://www.atariage....nd-heavy-sixer/

http://www.atariage....ow-do-you-tell/

As for the "dead" unit, maybe you shorted something on the board when you swapped the shielding. I'd suggest to post some detailed pictures of the board so maybe someone with experience in electronics can identify what component has been damaged.

So I decided to switch out the thick shielding with the thinner one off a Light Sixer.

Could you post comparison pictures of the two type of shieldings? I know that the 2600 faq here on AtariAge and other sites mentions that the shielding was reduced in the light sixers, but I never found proof of this. I have two L6 and one H6 and they have the same rf shielding. A lot of threads here seem to confirm that the increased weight of the heavy sixer only depends on the much ticker plastic used for the bottom half of the case.

Here are some examples, but there are a lot of similar threads. Never seen a picture of a light sixer with "thin" shielding.

http://www.atariage....ier-than-vader/

http://www.atariage....sixer-question/

http://www.atariage....-a-light-sixer/

http://www.atariage....nd-heavy-sixer/

http://www.atariage....ow-do-you-tell/

As for the "dead" unit, maybe you shorted something on the board when you swapped the shielding. I'd suggest to post some detailed pictures of the board so maybe someone with experience in electronics can identify what component has been damaged.

I guess I shorted it out. Anyway, here is a comparison of the RF shielding...

post-30237-0-67804300-1317489567_thumb.jpg post-30237-0-76047200-1317489606_thumb.jpg

post-30237-0-64704800-1317489870_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the inside...

post-30237-0-54938900-1317489704_thumb.jpg post-30237-0-29593100-1317489743_thumb.jpg

post-30237-0-67965300-1317489906_thumb.jpg

Would it be a crime to switch out the entire insides? I feel kinda lame doing it, because one of the main reasons I wanted a H6 was because they were made in the USA.

I would make a lamp out of it...

You disgust me. THESE CONSOLES ARE GETTING RARER AND RARER EVERY DAY and you want to DESTROY A PIECE OF VITAL VIDEO GAMING HISTORY by making something UGLY, TACKY, KITSCHY, and USELESS out of them? I hope Albert bans you as soon as possible for all the damage you are doing to the vintage video game history preservation. I can't believe anyone would EVER want to do something like that, that literally makes me sick to my stomach to even THINK about something like that happening...... :woozy: :thumbsdown:

On a serious note, I don't do H6 lamps. The console is too sought after by the community. If I get a broken H6 I'll try to repair it, and if I can't I'll pass the shell along to someone who can use it. Seems better economically for the hobby if I don't repurpose an H6 shell.

• Like 3

Crazy Climber isn't getting banned for a while, he has too much *good credit* here on AA. Okay, so you don't want him to make a lamp out of a H6, no problem, breathe, bro.

Joke. Over head. ;) :D

Too be fair though many people DO react that way so hard to tell when one is joking about it. While you may of been poking fun at such people there is no way anyone else can tell that until you pointed it out just now.

I'd think the fact that I am the lamp-maker in question would sort of give it away.... :ponder: "On a serious note" would also help as I read it, since that implies everything prior to is not, in fact, serious. :ponder: Also given is the fact that I "liked" Crazy Climber's post, which is usually not something someone who argues against someone does. :ponder: I also have in my signature a statement involving Crazy Climber in particular, also a farcical statement..... :ponder:

To be frank I'm shocked that all these elements don't add up. :| I'd think I, more than anyone else, would be absolutely well aware of how people react to things like consoles being turned into lamps, and thus would be in the best position to make a joke about it..... :ponder:

Sorry it wasn't clear. It was a joke. :D

I'd think the fact that I am the lamp-maker in question would sort of give it away.... :ponder: "On a serious note" would also help as I read it, since that implies everything prior to is not, in fact, serious. :ponder: Also given is the fact that I "liked" Crazy Climber's post, which is usually not something someone who argues against someone does. :ponder: I also have in my signature a statement involving Crazy Climber in particular, also a farcical statement..... :ponder:

To be frank I'm shocked that all these elements don't add up. :| I'd think I, more than anyone else, would be absolutely well aware of how people react to things like consoles being turned into lamps, and thus would be in the best position to make a joke about it..... :ponder:

Geez you expect me to pay attention and pickup on all that? I just take all posts at face value, don't give me so much credit.... :P

Oh and I totally forgot your the LAMP MAKER in question :D

In all serious though......that's some sweet work you do on those lamps! :thumbsup:

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Cebus, you know what would make your avatar even better? If it BLINKED, just ask George.

post-12780-0-89847000-1317500836.gif

• Like 2

You might try gently stressing the connector that goes to the switch board. That one is very flaky. Could just be the stress caused by moving things around to do the cable swap. I encountered this on my light six, along with a pesky left player always firing problem. You can search here for that one. Ian bird-dogged the problem, and it's working great.

I ended up flexing the switch board, only to find that a solder pad had lifted on the male connector found on the switch board. A little drop of solder fixed it nicely.

The RF power and signal go through that stiff cable. Could be the cause of a black screen easily enough.

Maybe you change your avatar too much, Cebus, and folks don't recognize it's you posting. You should go back to Ronald Reagan and the chimp.

Actually, I'm really surprised the old timers here didn't get the joke. I even remember the thread where the guy called it "kitsch" and then found out he was repsonding to the lamp-maker himself :lol:

Lamp making from H6? Makes sense, you have a good solid base that won't easily tip over. That homebrew game, what was it again? For $30,000, that's just as bad, if not more so. You have to admit that both ideas are just plain strange and really don't benefit anything except the huckster's pocketbook.

Edited by Keatah

Uhh, seems someone else doesn't understand I'm the guy who makes lamps, but thanks for calling me a "huckster". I really do appreciate the vitriol and insults I get slung my way on a regular basis. ;) Seriously though, I'm glad people can voice their opinions and not feel worried about who the person they're insulting is. I created (and still create) those things with the understanding that they're not for everyone and that some people won't appreciate what I do, and I respect the opinions of others who think I'm not making a product that is necessarily as important or "necessary" as a homebrew or the like. Not everyone's going to like what I create, and frankly I'm glad there exists an outlet for people to voice those opinions. :)

At any rate, not only did I state I won't use an H6, but this thread is about BigErn's broken console and not about lampmaking, so let's get this back on track, mmmmmkay? Hopefully someone comes along that can help you out with your repair, Ern. I'd say pull open the shielding again, take a look to see if there's anything obviously burnt or shorted (traces or components), and then make sure you press down on all the chips to reseat them if need be. Don't replace the shielding, then turn it on, see if that helps at all. If something like a trace or a component is damaged, if you're willing to have a go with a soldering iron, you should be able to replace the component or fix the trace.

Geez Cebus.. maybe you should change your avatar to Rodney Dangerfield. Cause, ya know...

On a side note... could you make a lamp that still functioned as a console? That would just make my wife nuts. :) Big fan of the lamp btw. I was inspired to turn my 360 into a toaster, but then I realized no modification was needed.

back on topic...

silly question... did you try a different AC adapter? That aside just check your internal connections and solder points.

Edited by gorfcadet