IGNORED

STacy screen restoration

OK, updating what I've done lately.

I went on Ebay and found an A4 sized El sheet for approximately $72.00. Here it is,

fresh off the boat from China:

post-5822-0-53396200-1317860670_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the original El sheet that came with the STacy. You can see the 4-way

connector on the side. BTW, does anyone know why there are -4- connectors on the

original? The next couple of pics shows the new A4 sized El sheet, and where I trimmed

it down to the same size as the original:

post-5822-0-66304400-1317860695_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-17718200-1317860708_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the small grooves on the inside of the STacy's LCD. They are on both

sides, and the El sheet simply slides in and out of them. There are 2 black lockpins that

hold the original in place and keep in from sliding out. You *don't* have to take the LCD

all the way apart! (learn from my experiences). icon_smile.gif

post-5822-0-10372000-1317860738_thumb.jpg

The next series of pictures shows the new El sheet sliding into place, and then putting

it back in the frame of the STacy's lid. Eventually, you see the back cover in place. Note

the ribbon cable that comes from the LCD. Its the same type as the keyboard and trackball

connector. Can be very fragile so be careful. Word of advice - take the connector loose

*last* when you are disassembling it, and put it back in *first* when reassembling it. Its a

bit of a tight fit there. Trust me. (and yes, I know I need to clean the tape marks off)

post-5822-0-80317200-1317860773_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-79960200-1317860789_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-87648200-1317860807_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Added a link for the A4 sized EL sheet:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1606327095981?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160632709598&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

[continued in the next post]

Finally, here is the reassembled LCD/lid, with the power off:

post-5822-0-73239400-1317861016_thumb.jpg

and now, in all its magnificent (bright!) glory, with the power on:

post-5822-0-18087500-1317861029_thumb.jpg

This is another item on my "STacy restoration project list" that I can

now mark off.

I'd like to take a moment again and thank Jo Even for the original

idea of using a replacement El sheet instead of paying over $200.00

for a replacement (assuming you can find one).

Thanks Jo! icon_smile.gif

• Like 3

Looks awesome, nice job!

I was thinking about how I might replace the EL sheet.

I picked up a bunch of surplus LCD panels so I could harvest the EL sheets from them for use in Stacy screens.

I'll report back on that soon, since the surplus panels were a lot less than a new EL sheet.

You need to start a restoration service!

Don't know about that, takes all my free time just to do my own stuff. :)

Also, when you get it back together, how about some high-res pictures of the screen?

Sure thing, but to be honest, that will probably be a while. I'm still working on fitting the

T25 accelerator in, and it looks like I'm gonna have to move the internal power supply

board to do that. Probably move it over to the battery compartment, since its empty

anyway.

I had ruled out ever wanting a STacy because of the dim screen, but now there's hope!

Nah, there's always hope for those who follow the Fuji! :)

Looks awesome, nice job!

I picked up a bunch of surplus LCD panels so I could harvest the EL sheets from them for use in Stacy screens.

I'll report back on that soon, since the surplus panels were a lot less than a new EL sheet.

Wow, where did you pick a bunch of surplus up from, if you don't mind my asking? That sounds like a great

find. Er wait....when you say surplus LCD panels, did you mean STacy panels or just generic LCD panels?

Thanks.

Looks awesome, nice job!

Wow, where did you pick a bunch of surplus up from, if you don't mind my asking? That sounds like a great

find. Er wait....when you say surplus LCD panels, did you mean STacy panels or just generic LCD panels?

Thanks.

Alas, generic panels.

I've been searching for a decent replacement panel, when it occured to me that all that we really need is a new backlight.

Stacy has such as odd sized screen.

Alas, generic panels.

I've been searching for a decent replacement panel, when it occured to me that all that we really need is a new backlight.

Stacy has such as odd sized screen.

Ah, okay. I was thinking maybe you had got in on one of Atari's final "pallet" sales, before they closed down. :)

Hmm, I've heard that mentioned before about the backlight. Where is it exactly in the LCD/lid. I didn't see anything

obvious, but then, I wasn't really looking for it either.

You are so right - I measured the original EL sheet. Its approximately 6.25 x 10.x (maybe 1/8th?) inches... That's

why I went for an A4 sized sheet - I knew I could cut it down to fit.

With a cut-up EL sheet, isn't the life gonna be significantly shortened? What about re-sealing the EL sheet?

I was always taught not to cut those down to size for any reason.

Hmm, first time I've heard that. In fact, the places where I checked before buying all advertised how you could cut them up any 'ole way for use. Odd that they wouldn't mention that cutting them up shortened their life expectancy. How would you go about resealing one, I wonder.

Okay, just a quick google search didn't really tell me anything. Several of the websites I visited said that humidity would reduce their life expectancy. So I guess where you cut a sheet and the lamination wasn't over it anymore could raise some potential problems.

Perhaps someone else with more knowledge can weigh in on this because I really don't know.

• 1 month later...

Okay, just a quick follow up here. I've tried numerous times on google to find anything relating to this

and can't. Maybe its just me, I dunno...

BUT...to err on the side of safety, I opened the screen section back up, and lightly coated all the cut

edges with clear fingernail polish, which should seal it.

Hopefully, if there was going to be any degradation, that'll take care of it.

Thanks.

Just wondering...

Do you really put that Stacy back together each time you modded something? :-)

Hahahaha, had experience with taking a STacy apart have we? :)

It sure can be a bear. If Atari had thought about it, they could have

made it difficult... :D

Seriously, I've not had it all the way back together ever since I started the

multiple upgrade threads here and at AtariForum. I've partially reassembled

it, per each phase of whatever particular mod I was doing at the moment,

usually just for testing.

I'm really, really close to being finished though. If I hadn't got my hands on

a used and partially damaged PAK68 accelerator board, I would be putting

it back together now, with a T25 accelerator board. I'm holding out to see if

I can get the PAK running or not. Once that's cleared, yea or nay, then its

time to close it all up. Can't wait!

As I think I posted somewhere else, the mods that I've done (cutting down the

size of the internal RF shield, adapting the floppy drive opening for the 1.44m

floppy mod, etc) have actually made it quite a bit easier to break down and

reassemble. NOT actually "easy", but easier... :)

Hahahaha, had experience with taking a STacy apart have we? :)

Actually, I haven't but heard a lot of stories thru the years :-)

The reason I asked was more that about each day I read about another Stacy mod (here and atari-forum) that has been done/fitted and tested and you immediately jump to the next mod. Can't imagine you've any time left to actually take it apart and put it together each time :-)

As I think I posted somewhere else, the mods that I've done (cutting down the

size of the internal RF shield, adapting the floppy drive opening for the 1.44m floppy mod, etc) have actually made it quite a bit easier to break down and reassemble. NOT actually "easy", but easier... :)

I know. I don't post that much but I read a lot :-)

Actually, I haven't but heard a lot of stories thru the years :-)

They're all true! :)

The reason I asked was more that about each day I read about another Stacy mod (here and atari-forum) that has been done/fitted and tested and you immediately jump to the next mod. Can't imagine you've any time left to actually take it apart and put it together each time :-)

Just imagine if I didn't work full time, 12.5 hour nightshifts. I could be dangerous! :)

I know. I don't post that much but I read a lot :-)

You know, it would probably be a lot better if more people were like that... :D

Anything can be used to re-seal them. Really. Like silicone or nail polish or any generic sealer. Just keep the air out. Some newer sheets are bonded together already, so you don't have to seal them.

The seal is needed if there are two separate layers. Like if you stick a straw in there and blow it up like a baggie.

• 6 months later...

If it was a standard colour LCD like Pentium 1 onwards PC laptops you can butcher different LCDs to use parts from. The actual LCD matrix panel (if that's what it's called) has to use the same connector or work in the same way so you can adapt an existing cable but the rest of the stuff usually just works on PC laptops.

However the ST Book and STacy are a lot older monochrome type LCDs so I don't think the technology mixes, here we go back further than even the days of DSTN/TFT types of screens let alone all the other million and one variables between screen panels.