IGNORED

Real Atari 8-Bit Impressions

emkay

...but many times it looks like people don't WANT to understand, and that's still a pity. You know, this correct pokey-usage is not worked out by someone from the polish Atari-scene. It seems like that's also the reason why the polish coders don't work on it...

Let's wait and see. I've posted some videos into KAZ's Atarum Forum. It seems, may people simply do not visit Atariage. So they did not know about this.

• 2 months later...

RastaConverter picture and another RMT experimental sound now played on Altirra....

Nice job on the music and graphics. The "Out Run" logo portion of the picture looks a little rough though.

You know? It's teh tools. We need perfect tools to get perfect results!

:)

*SCNR*

EDIT:

TBH I kinda like Emkay's enthusiasm with these tools. In the Quantizazor thread it looked liked everybody just threw images at it. Where as Emkay analyzed what causes these lines and edited the original images. Thumbs up for this.

I really want to support his POKEY endeavors, however, I have no time to develop a complete tracker. What I still want to do is a instrument editor - besides other things :(

Edited by Creature XL

Do you really need tools ?

I mean, for every great idea I've had, I never really relied upon tools to deliver, if it was that important.. Tools came later..

No programmer ever waits on tools for something they've got a hard-on over.. It's paradoxical..

What makes me still wonder is why it is so hard to understand that "good tools" is the only way to get more results. The better the tool, the broader the range of people using it.

So, what's the best way to have more people doing something for the A8?

stop complaining at write the tools, or maybe create a single wiki point of reference so that someone with the time can get the information and know what they are building perhaps?

You complain about a lack of tools, but the tools coders are complaining about a lack of specification. Feel free to break the cycle when you are ready...

• Like 1

stop complaining at write the tools, or maybe create a single wiki point of reference so that someone with the time can get the information and know what they are building perhaps?

You complain about a lack of tools, but the tools coders are complaining about a lack of specification. Feel free to break the cycle when you are ready...

You want specifications?

Doesn't there enough books for music generating exist? And even the coding books for the A8 and the functionality of POKEY is clearly described.

Compared to the C64, would you like to have a tracker, only supporting 2 channels and some random noise generating?

You want specifications?

Doesn't there enough books for music generating exist? And even the coding books for the A8 and the functionality of POKEY is clearly described.

Compared to the C64, would you like to have a tracker, only supporting 2 channels and some random noise generating?

Technical details of how a machine 'works' is one thing, the quirks that you can exploit are a whole other thing. The way you want it to work to get the results you are after is probably the most important thing, and that's the one that severely needs documenting.

You can't write a good wordprocessor 'just by knowing how ASCII works', nor a good artist-friendly paint program 'because you know the pixel format of the machine'. You need to know the user as well as the machine, which is why I'm repeatedly asking these questions. I think at this point 'artist friendly' is what's going to bring in the results you so badly want.

If everything you described there was good enough then you could just compose in an assembler and RMT would be overkill. But you say it isn't.

Edited by sack-c0s

Do you really need tools ?

I mean, for every great idea I've had, I never really relied upon tools to deliver, if it was that important.. Tools came later..

No programmer ever waits on tools for something they've got a hard-on over.. It's paradoxical..

As I see it you are partly right.

It can be seen (heard) that I use a simple "new waveform" for the death-sound in MJO-RC6. I programmed that. And I have a nice test-program where I can generate ADSR and the new waveforms on the fly and try things out. However, do you expect anyone to take my source code and modify it by hand to alter an instrument? While I am experimenting I have to do it and it is really cumbersome. :)

BTW, said "tool" was born as I wanted to try the description by Analmux here in this very forum. So the info is here. However, it would be cool if there was a wiki page somewhere.

Most of the AA-posts are in my bookmarks, so I could at least make a list of them. Combining them all and make a nice text out of it would be a thing for someone else, as I want to spend my time developing :)