IGNORED

CX-22 Trackball Left Button Not Working

thegamezmaster

• 1 month later...

Are the two middle screws different? Can't get out. Help please.

They are all the same on mine... Are yours not Phillips heads? The two in the middle are deep in there. Can your screw driver reach them?

They look like some type of security screws. They aren't Phillips and won't even move with a Phillip's screwdriver.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what mine looks like after I take the two middle screws out. You should be able to pry it apart now.

What did you use to get those two odd middle screws out? Any suggestions would really help me,thanks.

If the bottom of the holes look like security screws then the Phillips screws have already been taken out. Take something long and thin like a toothpick and stick it down in the hole. If it goes deeper in the middle, then the screw has already been taken out.

That's what mine looks like after I take the two middle screws out. You should be able to pry it apart now.

What did you use to get those two odd middle screws out? Any suggestions would really help me,thanks.

If the bottom of the holes look like security screws then the Phillips screws have already been taken out. Take something long and thin like a toothpick and stick it down in the hole. If it goes deeper in the middle, then the screw has already been taken out.

Not quite sure what you mean. The two screws are still in there and unit will not come apart. I'm stumped as how to get out. Thanks.

Not quite sure what you mean. The two screws are still in there and unit will not come apart. I'm stumped as how to get out. Thanks.

Does it look like this?

post-20973-0-14847400-1323959551_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but very hard to see just what the screw head looks like. Even shining a flashlight down there. Similar to a star type shape, maybe and hollow in the middle.

Sounds like it's probably a Torx or Security Torx (just like a Torx screw except there's a pin in the middle of the star) screw in there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same sitch as theGamezmaster. Then I got to the point of the "two middle screws" not coming out. At first I thought it was a proprietary screw, so I searched Atari CX22 Bristol Screw and came on this page. Then I read this forum, and I got Ataritard's comment, the center holes also had the same sized philips head screws. theGamezmaster insists it's a proprietary screw. So I took a leap of faith. I noticed the lip between the top and bottom was a little loose, so I took a flathead, carefully separated it by running the flathead around the seam to make it loose enough so a pry doesn't damage the casing in case I did t wrong, pried it open and viola. It was opened. I used CD cleaner (Isopropyhol) to clean it. Will test it tomorrow when housemates are awake.

By the way, if a left hand button is ruined, does that mean the main user before me was right handed? And if that's the case, why do right handers put up with left-handed Street Fighter joysticks, especially when you have to pull of those Dragon Punches? If both hands can type equally well, why use your good hand or the button pressing when it can be used for the more complex motion of moving a joystick/paddle/trakball? Posting this segue as a separate post unrelated to the trakball.

• Like 1

I'm in the same sitch as theGamezmaster. Then I got to the point of the "two middle screws" not coming out. At first I thought it was a proprietary screw, so I searched Atari CX22 Bristol Screw and came on this page. Then I read this forum, and I got Ataritard's comment, the center holes also had the same sized philips head screws. theGamezmaster insists it's a proprietary screw. So I took a leap of faith. I noticed the lip between the top and bottom was a little loose, so I took a flathead, carefully separated it by running the flathead around the seam to make it loose enough so a pry doesn't damage the casing in case I did t wrong, pried it open and viola. It was opened. I used CD cleaner (Isopropyhol) to clean it. Will test it tomorrow when housemates are awake.

By the way, if a left hand button is ruined, does that mean the main user before me was right handed? And if that's the case, why do right handers put up with left-handed Street Fighter joysticks, especially when you have to pull of those Dragon Punches? If both hands can type equally well, why use your good hand or the button pressing when it can be used for the more complex motion of moving a joystick/paddle/trakball? Posting this segue as a separate post unrelated to the trakball.

So were you able to take out the two middle screws? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Tried what tripletopper did and it came apart! Further checking when assembled the button doesn't work. Take it apart and press on the button, it works. So I've tried putting tape on it, no luck. So I put some glue on it, waiting for it to harden and will try again. If that doesn't work, guess it's time for a new button and switch. Thanks everyone.