IGNORED

Dropzone for NTSC

tep392

In theory, it should play identically. The game is timed to the screen refresh rate (vertical blank interrupt) so I simply added some code at the start of the VBI to exit early once every 6 screens. The main code section just sits in a loop waiting for the vertical blank code to run. This effectively pauses the game for 1/60 of a second after every 5 frames so there is only 50 loops through the game code per second.

I also fixed a glitch that skips the "dropzone" animation and makes the initial screen look like this on NTSC machines.

post-24519-0-71813400-1318251838_thumb.jpg

Edited by tep392

I also fixed a glitch that skips the "dropzone" animation and makes the initial screen look like this on NTSC machines.

I'm still getting this glitch on my NTSC 130XE. When I get the "Practice Recommended" message and then push the fire button... It then appears on the title screen as shown.

post-6369-0-19017200-1318309405_thumb.png

I'm still getting this glitch on my NTSC 130XE. When I get the "Practice Recommended" message and then push the fire button... It then appears on the title screen as shown.

Thanks for catching that. I think this version will fix it.

Dropzone_ntsc_ver2.xex

Dang I played the crap out of this game I thought the speed was the way the game was meant to be played... Never thought it was an oversight on the timing since I purchased the game. Now electraglide is one that needs a little timer adjustment.....

Same here, and since I suck at most games, I just assumed I was also no good at this :)

• 3 months later...

I remember Maclean said the colors in NTSC were not to his liking.

So I turned everything between $10-$8F up one color clock.

PAL NTSC

$26 --> $36 main ground

$2A --> $3A ground accents

$78 --> $88 blunder storm

$3C --> $4C nmeye

$1C --> $2C cloak indicator

$78 --> $88 cloak indicator border/ "OUT"/ "IN"

$38 --> $48 "MEN:"

$38 --> $48 player dark pink

$7C --> $8C players remain

$76 --> $86 man (main body)/spore (main body)

$B8 --> $B8 planter (main body)/nemesite (main body)

$38 --> $48 lava spew

$38 --> $48 scanner border/bombs remain

$76 --> $86 man tumble

$76 --> $86 man saved

Dropzone_ntsc_vs2_color.zip

Dropzone_colors.txt

Thanks for doing this - game is now playable on an NTSC machine! The speed of the game is now accurate to the PAL version but the scrolling seems a lot jerkier than I remember... I used to play this game a lot back in the day. I could get 4-5 million in a few hours and then get bored ;)

The speed of the game is now accurate to the PAL version but the scrolling seems a lot jerkier than I remember...

If you'd bother reading the explanation of how he slowed it down, you'd understand why the scrolling isn't as smooth anymore.

Warm and charming as always :-D

• Like 1

Yeah - way to roll out the welcome mat :)

BTW: I did read it the beginning of the thread - 4 months ago. I also had no idea that what Tep392 was describing would be the cause of the jerky scrolling as I am not that technical... but then again I didn't give it much thought as all I just wanted to say "Thank-You" for to whoever did this for doing this, offer a friendly observation and not get moaned at by a pedant.

Edited by sargie
  • Like 1