IGNORED

Which ADAM Version Is Better from a Reliability Standpoint?

ColecoFan1981

Which ADAM console version is recommended from a reliability standpoint (you know, less failure)? I think I remember a lot of you say the version that is the add-on for the ColecoVision console (Expansion Module 3). Correct?

If I ever find another CV console in the future (and don't you guys hold your breath), I would like it to be modified a la what Yurkie had been doing for all (or most of) the rest of you CV fans in want, also for reliability reasons. Same would go for the standard Hand Controllers and maybe even the Super Action Controllers (I wish I knew what you guys would recommended so as to modify these controllers to be made more reliable; I know the Atari 5200 controllers also have that kind of honor, of breaking down prematurely, and that the Rev. 9 versions of those hand controllers are recommended for that reason).

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

Which ADAM console version is recommended from a reliability standpoint (you know, less failure)? I think I remember a lot of you say the version that is the add-on for the ColecoVision console (Expansion Module 3). Correct?

If I ever find another CV console in the future (and don't you guys hold your breath), I would like it to be modified a la what Yurkie had been doing for all (or most of) the rest of you CV fans in want, also for reliability reasons. Same would go for the standard Hand Controllers and maybe even the Super Action Controllers (I wish I knew what you guys would recommended so as to modify these controllers to be made more reliable; I know the Atari 5200 controllers also have that kind of honor, of breaking down prematurely, and that the Rev. 9 versions of those hand controllers are recommended for that reason).

~Ben

Um... I'm no real expert on the subject, certain others here are more informed than I am, but I believe the DDP drives are more reliable in the stand-alone ADAM. For the rest, I think both versions of the ADAM are about the same where reliability is concerned, although the extra monitor output on the stand-alone version offers something better than the CV's standard RF output.

• Like 1

~Ben

Um... I'm no real expert on the subject, certain others here are more informed than I am, but I believe the DDP drives are more reliable in the stand-alone ADAM. For the rest, I think both versions of the ADAM are about the same where reliability is concerned, although the extra monitor output on the stand-alone version offers something better than the CV's standard RF output.

My guess would be, for the time being, to find a unit made after about the spring of 1984. Correct? For we all know that the very first Adam computers were more bug-prone than the later ones.

Edited by ColecoFan1981

My guess would be, for the time being, to find a unit made after about the spring of 1984. Correct? For we all know that the very first Adam computers were more bug-prone than the later ones.

Yep, that sounds about right. :)

Then, of course, that would have to be broken down by serial numbers. Meaning, at what serial # would much of the problems concerning the early version of the ADAM console have been addressed?

~Ben

Then, of course, that would have to be broken down by serial numbers. Meaning, at what serial # would much of the problems concerning the early version of the ADAM console have been addressed?

~Ben

The Seriel # theory may not actually be a good way to go concerning the ADAM as there was a plethora of returns after the launch of the ADAM Computer, as I'm sure you have heard. While there were a lot of systems that did indeed malfunction (usually the Printer or the Digital Data Drive) and need to be repaired/replaced, there was also a lot of user error and misunderstanding in how to properly use the system and what to do/what not to do. So, after these systems were fixed or tested to be functioning properly, I assume they would have been repackaged and sold as new once again with the same Serial # stickers on them. Does that sound plausible or would the Serial # stickers have been replaced and the old Serial # never reused? Anyone?

As far as the Expansion Module #03 ADAM versus the Stand-Alone ADAM, there is no clear cut breakdown as to which one is more reliable and from my personal experience over the years, I would have to rate them pretty much even as far as reliability. The Exp. Mod. #03 ADAM would probably come out ahead because of the simple fact that there is a lot less under the hood (No ColecoVision motherboard, No RF/Composite Video board and Audio output) than the Stand-Alone ADAM... but then of course you need a separate ColecoVision system which could offer up it's own problems. At least with this CV & Exp. Mod. #03 setup, you bypass any possible CV Power Switch problems due to the fact that the ADAM Printer powers the whole lot and you leave the CV Power Switch OFF at all times.

There were quite a number of revisions of the ADAM Logic Motherboard, but most of them dealt with tiddying things up and doing away with a lot of jumper wires.

As far as the Digital Data Drives, there were three revisions of these and the one that you want is referred to as the "New Japanese JVC Revision". The motor mounting screws that you can see through the clear plastic door are arranged like this:

..........*.........*

*............................*

..........*.........*

These latest revision drives offer a variety of improvements (both visible and not unless you open the drive up) over the two earlier revision drives that have a screw arrangement like this:

.......*...............*

*.............................*

.........*...........*

Ignore the Periods in the above examples and only refernce the Astericks (they represent the screws).

Anyhow, good luck if you take the plunge as most people won't be able to help you much in figuring out what revision system, drives and printer they have.

Edited by NIAD

I say just wait till NIAD has one for sale and buy it.

My wife will throw me outta the house if I take in an more ADAMs... maybe after the Holiday Season is over and I've had time to enjoy all the upcoming Homebrew releases AND finsihed taking pics and documenting all the ADAM stuff for the Coleco Museum website AND..... :sleep:

• Like 1