IGNORED

Atari ST used for Techno Music in 1994

philipj

• 2 weeks later...

ahh right, of course. I was trying to think of the typical computers out at the time and just did not recognize it. unusual for a synclavier setup without the usual full sized master keyboard controller and the refrigerator sized rack units in prominent display but i guess they are off camera somewhere.

He says "Synclavier computer" at the start of the video and he is in America and it that was filmed late 80s or later as it was after he moved country and he'd been with Erasure for a bit :)

The video quality is so bad though who knows, it sounds like Sinclair computer haha

Edited by oky2000

He says "Synclavier computer" at the start of the video and he is in America and it that was filmed late 80s or later as it was after he moved country and he'd been with Erasure for a bit :)

The video quality is so bad though who knows, it sounds like Sinclair computer haha

I don't hear him say "Synclavier computer" at any time during the video. :? He says "simple sequence". I am sure my hearing is not THAT bad...

If you grew up in the 80s, you will probably know that is Vince Clarke of Depeche Mode, Yaz (Yazoo in the US), and Erasure. He wrote a lot of hit songs that defined the music of the 80s (and are still fresh to my ears to this day :-D ). He is British (can't you tell by the accent?!) and lives (or lived at the time) in the UK. This was from the BBC TV series "Rockschool" from around 1986 or so which was also shown in the US on a number of PBS stations. I still have my old VHS copies of the episodes that I recorded! :) This video looks and sounds better than my crappy copy...

Edited by atarian1

can you show a link the the BBC computer? what midi interface is used and what Software? if you know that is...

Here is a link to one. I don't know what software or MIDI interface he is using though.

there is no doubt that is the computer he is using in the video. i really like these vids a lot. I have a lot of Vince Clark Reason Refills and they are all top notch for use with Reason: http://www.propellerheads.se/ I can only imagine the reaction Vince had when he started seeing the first virtual synths based on all that old hardware in his studio. I have the Arturia analog collection which has the arp 2600 and a few other synths he shows off in the videos.

"...the realtime page on the sinclair computer...." is what he says 10 seconds into the video strangely.

This is a good quality video from his USA studio later on (after he got married)

Youtube deleted "Synth Britannia" by BBC TV, but look for torrents, you won't regret it. :)

Edited by oky2000

Yes but it was a slip of the tongue, because the graphics are what a BBC Micro would display and also at 01:05 into the video, it shows a close up of the BBC MIcro!

I know, it's on Wikipedia that he used one around then. Was just pointing out why I thought Sinclair=Synclavier etc but you can make out the red F keys and cream case now I looked again. He's also using a Sony video monitor not a CUB one sold with BBCs.

The software used right up until the late 80s was UMI. Google also brings up plenty if you look, including this:

http://www.erasurein...vateear_24.html

what is the date of that interview, it must be old right? I mean he can't possibly be using that gear on tours these days when all that could fit in a simple laptop now, especially with the Arturia analog collection that has the arp 2600, jp8, mini moog, etc... at the very least he'd have a newer computer handling the sequences...