IGNORED

Service Offered: Sega Game Gear Repair

the.golden.ax

buffer.jpgUPDATED 8-28-2012 PRICES INCLUDE RETURN POSTAGE (for USA and CANADA).

I can fix that for you!

Does your Sega Game Gear have dim / dark video AND / OR low / no sound?

$37.50 for capacitor replacement on both sound and mainboard.

gg10112011-02.jpg

(screen after cap replacement)

Want to save on battery life? I can also do the LED backlight mod.

With my method there are minimal hot spots.

$15 for LED backlight mod (Only in conjunction with cap replacement)

Is your screen all scratched up and needing to be replaced?

$19 for a new screen overlay.

Dead unit, scrambled video, not just dim?

$18 replace lcd / mainboard (Only in conjunction with cap replacement).

Note: If you have had a battery leak/explode in your system assume you need a new motherboard.

If there is crusty white or green gunk in the battery compartment, you had battery acid leak.

Tired of the plain old black? Make your system look new again with custom dye.

$30 for a color change (Only in conjunction with new screen overlay)

Subject to color availability and weather - requires warmer dry weather in my region

Stock colors are:

Tan Copper, Yellow, Red, Purple, Blue, Forrest Green

Grey, Carbon, Brown, White, Black, & Silver.

Other colors (anything you can think of) are available.

They require a 6 week special order and $50 custom dye fee.

That extra fee can be reduced if it is something several people want.

gg10112011-01.jpg

(stock blue, and two gradients, I can also do solid colors)

Don't like the stock red LED power indicator? Change that color.

$7.50 for an LED color change your choice of color.

Don't have a Game Gear to send in, but want to buy something ready to go?

Just send me a PM and I'll be happy to hook you up with a custom system.

Have lots of extra broken Game Gear systems?

I'll buy them for parts for PAYPAL $$ or take them as trade towards my services.

Interested in any or all of the above? Just sent me a PM.

Thanks,

AX

• Like 4

Awesome! Probably not for a few paychecks yet, but I will be taking you up on that! I suppose the intrusiveness of the hotspots is subject to personal preference, but I will take a chance. I assume my caps need replaced; just a little dim and muddy. What LED colors are available for the power light?

Edited by Chuck D. Head

What do you use to defuse the LED light?,How many LED's do you use? May we have a picture of the LED mod next to the LCD one?

The first pair of LED mods with my new method were sent to Akator today. As soon as I do some more, I will post pics and or a youtube.

My method of defusing the LED is not one I've seen anyone else do - call it a trade secret for the minute ;) I do not think most people would know it wasn't a stock unit without prior knowledge. I get some light halos but no hot spots. Two LEDs are used in the backlight. They are rated for a 10,000 mcd each.

Thank you for your interest. I will be posting those pictures as soon as possible.

AX

Awesome! Probably not for a few paychecks yet, but I will be taking you up on that! I suppose the intrusiveness of the hotspots is subject to personal preference, but I will take a chance. I assume my caps need replaced; just a little dim and muddy. What LED colors are available for the power light?

I've found every Game Gear can be improved with the cap replacement. Just about any color LED is available for the power indicator.

Thanks,

AX

If you have pictures showing some of the work,I think that would be helpful/especially the color change

A few pics added to the first post. I've already sent the two LED mods I had done for Akator. As soon as I do a few more there will be some videos showing that off on youtube, and I'll post those here as well.

Thanks,

AX

Wow, AX, this is cool - - especially the color dye!

It has got me thinking now about the several yellowed SNES units I have around. I was going to "Retr0Brite" them (for those that don't know - - Retr0Brite [link]) but now I am liking the idea of some colors to cover up the yellow!

I will have to practice my Google-Fu and see what I learn about dying plastic, and then maybe ask some questions . . .

Thanks for the inspiration!

-a2a

This is some really neat stuff. Do they make replacement game gear screens that don't blur as much as the originals?

Do you mean the lens or the lcd? I've been meaning to see if I can do something about a clearer lens than just the stock rubberish ones. As for the actual LCD itself, it is kind of like the Lynx in that it has a proprietary screen. There isn't another screen you could put in there without complicated RGB modding with a video decoder. Then after all of that the video wouldn't fill the screen, even if you had an LCD of the same size.

AX

Sorry, I meant to say LCD. I love a lot of the game gear games but the screen blur has always bugged me to the point of using emulators instead.

Also, with the LED backlight, how long do the batteries generally last?

With the backlight mod I've left it running for at least 6 hours non-stop. I've heard others say you can get up to 8.

AX

The first pair of LED mods with my new method were sent to Akator today. As soon as I do some more, I will post pics and or a youtube.

Got the Game Gears today, and I've got to say it's great work! The LED mods look great, with no "hot spots" like Ax said. I played one for 2 hours already and the batteries still have 80% charge left. The cap replacements are excellent as well, the sound is clear and loud.

Highly recommended. Anyone on the fence about this shouldn't worry. I'm going to send in another 2 when I get around to unpacking them ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...