IGNORED

Service Offered: Sega Game Gear Repair

the.golden.ax

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just read up and do it yourself. I know it sounds hard, but it really isn't. I just did one for the first time this past weekend and it works great. I would suggest buying a "junker" Game Gear on ebay, getting a good solder iron, flux, solder and desolder braid, a cap kit on ebay relevant to your board model and watching some of the youtube videos showing the process. That's what I did. If the junker works out you can then feel confident to do this on your good GG, or if you didn't have any GG previously (like me) well, now you got a good working handheld for a few bucks ;)

Edited by eightbit

16 hours ago, eightbit said:

Just read up and do it yourself. I know it sounds hard, but it really isn't. I just did one for the first time this past weekend and it works great. I would suggest buying a "junker" Game Gear on ebay, getting a good solder iron, flux, solder and desolder braid, a cap kit on ebay relevant to your board model and watching some of the youtube videos showing the process. That's what I did. If the junker works out you can then feel confident to do this on your good GG, or if you didn't have any GG previously (like me) well, now you got a good working handheld for a few bucks ;)

I actually tried to do this and burnt my board attempting to replace my first capacitor. ??‍♂️ 

It would be cool if someone still offered this service. 

I'm not sure a recap is going to fix that GG posted just above. Looks like only half of the screen is lighting up. Most GGs suffering from bad caps will either have a very washed out screen to the point of not making any details where the contrast adjust doesn't seem to do much or you have no audio due to the caps going bad there. 

This would very well be a bad LCD at this point and would only be fixable using a good LCD from another donor GG or getting an LCD upgrade.

Not saying that recapping it isn't a good idea since they are prone to leaking badly anyway, but I wouldn't expect new caps to fix what I see in that pic.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:10 PM, fred said:

I actually tried to do this and burnt my board attempting to replace my first capacitor. ??‍♂️ 

It would be cool if someone still offered this service. 

I hear you. Soldering stuff is not for everyone. It is a skill that I haven't mastered entirely myself yet (although I am pretty good now). I am not sure if offering a service is feasible for most people though. Whether a Game Gear is fixable just by a recap is a crap shoot. Sometimes it is the only problem and it works, sometimes not so much. I recapped my GG and while it now works, the sound board is still low even after recapping and replacing the audio jack. I gave up and ordered another sound board. 

I have two more Game Gears coming that are "not working" that I plan to recap entirely in the next couple of weeks. One is going to my daughter for helping me so much and the other will go in the marketplace here...provided it works perfectly that is ;)

I have done a ton of game gears in the past, and yea its a total gamble and I never do it on people's personal machines 

there's just so much that can and will go wrong on handheld systems, let alone old arse ones left in a shoebox, when it comes to it I rather buy a random machine off ebay and fix it up then sell it

At least then if its not working out its a cheap learning experience, vs someone's precious "aunt gertrude gave this to me brand new when I was 7 and she had to sell her hair to afford it, and now you took my money and didnt make it a  post 2000's HD system"

Edited by Osgeld

I have a Game Gear that needs fixed. It turns on and the screen comes on but there's no picture. Sound seems to work. My actual Game Gear from back in the day bit the dust over 10 years ago, this was one that was given to me not that much longer after that. It worked fine then.

• 2 years later...
On 10/11/2011 at 1:29 PM, the.golden.ax said:

buffer.jpgUPDATED 8-28-2012 PRICES INCLUDE RETURN POSTAGE (for USA and CANADA).

I can fix that for you!

Does your Sega Game Gear have dim / dark video AND / OR low / no sound?

$37.50 for capacitor replacement on both sound and mainboard.

gg10112011-02.jpg

(screen after cap replacement)

Want to save on battery life? I can also do the LED backlight mod.

With my method there are minimal hot spots.

$15 for LED backlight mod (Only in conjunction with cap replacement)

Is your screen all scratched up and needing to be replaced?

$19 for a new screen overlay.

Dead unit, scrambled video, not just dim?

$18 replace lcd / mainboard (Only in conjunction with cap replacement).

Note: If you have had a battery leak/explode in your system assume you need a new motherboard.

If there is crusty white or green gunk in the battery compartment, you had battery acid leak.

Tired of the plain old black? Make your system look new again with custom dye.

$30 for a color change (Only in conjunction with new screen overlay)

Subject to color availability and weather - requires warmer dry weather in my region

Stock colors are:

Tan Copper, Yellow, Red, Purple, Blue, Forrest Green

Grey, Carbon, Brown, White, Black, & Silver.

Other colors (anything you can think of) are available.

They require a 6 week special order and $50 custom dye fee.

That extra fee can be reduced if it is something several people want.

gg10112011-01.jpg

(stock blue, and two gradients, I can also do solid colors)

Don't like the stock red LED power indicator? Change that color.

$7.50 for an LED color change your choice of color.

Don't have a Game Gear to send in, but want to buy something ready to go?

Just send me a PM and I'll be happy to hook you up with a custom system.

Have lots of extra broken Game Gear systems?

I'll buy them for parts for PAYPAL $$ or take them as trade towards my services.

Interested in any or all of the above? Just sent me a PM.

Thanks,

AX

I have a sega game gear thats needs capacitors and a new screen.  Can you repair that for me? If yes please sne cost and instructions on how to send it to you for repairs. Thanks, Steve oceanviews08@att.net

On 12/18/2021 at 9:14 AM, Steve Miller said:

I have a sega game gear thats needs capacitors and a new screen.  Can you repair that for me? If yes please sne cost and instructions on how to send it to you for repairs. Thanks, Steve oceanviews08@att.net

Ax is gone man  ☹  I miss the guy...