IGNORED

"Adventure Plus": New Mazes, New Colors & More

Atarius Maximus

Edit: I updated the subject line because I had to change the name of the hack.

I set out to make some big changes to Adventure, and I'm about halfway done with what I'd eventually like to accomplish. I thought I'd share what I've done so far with everyone here. I still plan to make more completely new mazes for this game, among other things, but it's going to take some time. All of the changes I made do make the game a little bit more difficult, but definately not impossible.

Here's what's included in this hack:

Title Screen Added! (Edited: "Adventure+")

Red Dragon Difficulty increased

Left and right "missle" border walls removed in main corridor.

Game 1: Bat & Red Dragon added, one item moved to new location

Game 2: 3 Items are in new locations

Graphic Changes:

*Dragons changed to look more like dragons and less like ducks.

*Chalice, magnet, castle gates, sword, and bridge graphics all changed.

*Castles made wider at the top (I just thought it looked cooler!).

*Barriers added to many rooms.

Colors Changed:

*Yellow Castle changed to a dark orange color

*Yellow Key changed to match new yellow castle color

*Blue Maze changed to a darker blue.

*Startup screen changed from purple to tan.

*Level select numbers changed to dark blue.

Edit: Blue Maze was completely changed from scratch.

Many rooms now have extra exits that can take you to some unexpected places! (Great for escaping from Rhindle...)

The Castle mazes were not changed, but will be in a future revision! Take a look at the screenshots below to see some of the changes.

EDIT 8/5/2005:

Download links were removed, and latest versions were attached below.

adv_plus: original version of Adventure Plus

adv_plus_pe: Adventure Plus 2005 (Packrat Edition)

adv_plus_pe_invis: Adventure Plus 2005 (All Invisible Rooms)

adv_plus_pe_source: Commented Source code for Adventure Plus 2005

adv_plus_map: Map of the original Adventure Plus

adv_plus_dev: All of the bins created during the development of Adv Plus

Enjoy!

AM

adv_plus.zip

adv_plus_pe.zip

adv_plus_pe_invis.zip

adv_plus_pe_source.zip

adv_plus_map.zip

adv_plus_dev.zip

Edited by Atarius Maximus
  • Like 1

And why the name change? Calling it "Quest" doesn't change the fact that it's still an Adventure hack.

I realize that. I was just trying to think of something original other than "Adventure hack", and lots of people change the name of games they've hacked. :) If anyone has any different suggestions, I'm open to ideas.

Great

But did you have to call it Quest? Now there may be confusion with my WIP....

http://www.atariage.com/~clarkin/quest.html

Well, I guess a rename is in order. Your project was first, and it's a homebrew, not a hack, so I'll definitely concede the "Quest" name to you!

This hack is real gaming torture! Just when you think you've truly mastered Adventure...!

I never meant to torture anyone :D Just wanted to try and make my favorite game better. :)

Nice hack, I can't wait to see the finished product. Maybe double the rom size and double the maze size? or use supercharger for a REALLY big maze of multi-loads ? Anyway, great work

Thanks. Doubling the ROM & Maze size had crossed my mind, actually, I'm just not sure if I can pull it off or not.

AM

FARGIN AWESOME....Best hack I have seen yet. Can't top that with hack o matic at all. Did you hack with a mac or pc??

Keep on Mac hacking!

Thanks. This hack was made much easier using the detailed, commented Adventure disassembly on Nick Bensema's website (http://www.io.com/~nickb/atari).

I've got a new G4 Mac and a Pentium PC, actually. I love OS X, but unfortunately having a copy of Windows running at home is a necessity, I need it for my job as a Windows 2000 network administrator. So yes, this was hacked on a Windows PC, using DASM and Hack-O-Matic (for easy graphics changes!).

AM

When I was stripping down Adventure (before my PC decided to go kaput) I was considering using the RoboTank bankswitching technique (where all JSR's automatically flip banks and RTS instructions flip it back). This might have made it more difficult to produce actual carts though (?).

And Joel Park worked with Thomas to strip redundant code from Adventure (freeing up a good deal of space). You might want to check that out. It's up in The Dig...I think.

But did you have to call it Quest? Now there may be confusion with my WIP....

http://www.atariage.com/~clarkin/quest.html

I renamed it to Adventure II, for lack of a better idea. I changed the title screen to use the new name.

adv2.jpg

Download: www.stevesfiles.com/adv2.bin

And Joel Park worked with Thomas to strip redundant code from Adventure (freeing up a good deal of space). You might want to check that out. It's up in The Dig...I think.

Cool, I'll have to take a look.

AM

Cafeman is already working on an Adventure II for the 5200. Anyway it's a pretty bland name. Maybe you could call it Avalon ? That's what I was calling the hacked Adventure I was working on for a while. The chalise originally having been the holy grail and all.

I gave up on the hack, not that it couldn't be done even with my modest coding ability, but I was wanting to add so much that it would make more sense to start over with a whole new game. If I ever do get around to it, I'll probably call it Ms. Adventure or The Venturead.

Yeah I would come up with something other than Adventure 2.

How about

The Lord Of The Dragon Guarded Chalice And The Quest To Find Said Chalice

That way you could still use the word Quest in the title without stepping on toes. Cool hu??

The Lord Of The Dragon Guarded Chalice And The Quest To Find Said Chalice

:D Heh. Yeah, I've had a difficult time coming up with a good, unique name. I kind of like Channel 2's suggestion of Camelot, but I don't know yet.

Actually, I'm just going to concentrate on making the additional changes to the game, and not worry so much about the title.

AM

It's still 99% Adventure, so the title has to have "Adventure" in it.

That is a valid argument, however there are a whole lot of hacks here at AA that don't use the original title of the game in the title.

"Adventure Plus" does sound pretty good, though!

AM

yeah, you really should keep Adventure in the title.

"Adventure Advanced" maybe?

"Adventure Bonus Cuts?"

"Even More Adventure"

"Adventure: Bigger and Better"

"Another Adventure"

"Adventure Again"

"Back to Adventure"

"Stan is the coolest guy on the planet Adventure" :D

I kind of like Channel 2's suggestion of Camelot, but I don't know yet.

Only one problem: 'tis a silly place.

I think the name should really sound like "Adventure" or include the word since it is an Adventure hack.

There could be a subtitle, like Adventure On, or The Adventure Continues, or The Next Adventure.

Fred

I heard that when the new territory of Nunavut was split off from Canada's Northwest Territories, there was a referendum on what to call the remaining part, and it almost wound up being called "Bob".