IGNORED

"Adventure Plus": New Mazes, New Colors & More

Atarius Maximus

How about "Misventure?" or "Misadventure?" Although "Adventure Plus" is cool. How about "Adventure ^2" or "Adventure Squared?" (In honor of the little guy? The ^2 mean a superscript "2" - you know, "squared.")

I'll nominate "Misadventure." It reminds me of the same dry sense of humor that brought VGR to name the fourth dragon Disgruntle in Indenture. :)

Thanks for all the name ideas, but I think my working title is going to be "Adventure Plus". I've been known to change my mind, but I think that title fits pretty well.

I've just finished the next stage of development on this hack, there is now a completely new, designed from scratch blue maze. Let me know what you think!

Here is the lastest ROM:

[EDIT]: Please go to the first post in this thread for the latest downloads.

AM

Edited by Atarius Maximus

I love Adventure, and I was excited to see this hack. I've got to compliment the programmer on the technical work.

That said -- and I know I'm going to be in the minority here -- but I'd love to see another version of this hack with maps that actually improve the game play experience.

Honestly, the maps in the current version simply make the game more difficult to play without making it any more fun or even AS fun. It takes too long to find objects, and even to find your way around. This is partly because many screens are not connected logically -- you exit one screen, turn around and go back, and you're not where you came from. Even Indenture (which I loathe) didn't do this. This just makes the game difficult to map and frustrating to navigate.

An "A" for effort, though.

That said -- and I know I'm going to be in the minority here -- but I'd love to see another version of this hack with maps that actually improve the game play experience.  

I guess that's a pretty subjective thing, there's no way for me to quantify what makes a map "improve" game play.

Honestly, the maps in the current version simply make the game more difficult to play without making it any more fun or even AS fun. It takes too long to find objects, and even to find your way around.

It's hard to improve on the original, I know. :) As far as taking too long to find objects or find you way around, I think that's just because it's new and you aren't used to it. I could practically finish a game of the original Adventure with my eyes closed now, those maps are so familiar to me. Again, I was just shooting for "different" here, whether or not it's better is up for debate.

This is partly because many screens are not connected logically -- you exit one screen, turn around and go back, and you're not where you came from. Even Indenture (which I loathe) didn't do this. This just makes the game difficult to map and frustrating to navigate.  

Heh. :) Yeah, I know about that, and that's because of how Warren originally programmed the screens to connect. All I did in this hack was open up some doors... Where they lead you, and where you end up when you turn around is all based on how the playfield map is layed out in the original code...I didn't change a thing.

I thought it was kind of an interesting twist on the game, but if you (and others) really hate it I'll just remove the extra exits/entrances that I added. If you want to see for yourself how the rooms connect, look at the map on Warren's website: http://www.warrenrobinett.com/adventure/adv-map1.gif

The basic layout of this map is exactly the same as my hack, I didn't add any new screens or change how they connect.

Atarius: The Dragons look like Chickens now  

Ha! :D You're right, they do sort of resemble chickens. I did my best though, and I still think they look better than the original "dragons"!

AM

I just finished my latest update. The Invisible Maze in Games 2 & 3 has been completely changed.

Download link (again):

[EDIT]: Please go to the first post in this thread for the latest downloads.

I would even purchase a copy from the AA store if you give them permission to make a copy once it's done....

I would absolutely give the Al's permission to sell this hack in the AA Store if they decide they want to. That thought inspired me to make a few label mock ups, I threw these together during my lunch hour today:

adventureplus_top2.jpg

adventureplus_end2.jpg

adventureplus_top.jpg

adventureplus_end.jpg

The dragon image wasn't created from scratch, but it's heavily modified from an image I found on the 'net.

AM

Call me old school, but I like the second version with the original atari font. the image itself is good.  

Any ETA on a FINAL version of the hack?

Yeah, I actually prefer the Atari picture label style too, it was fun to make both though.

I don't have a definite ETA, but hopefully within the next 2 or 3 days I'll have everything done that I want to.

Here's what I'd still like to accomplish:

*Completely change the red maze in the white castle

*Completely change the invisible maze in the black castle

*Change a few more of the colors. I never cared for the bright green corridor rooms, I may change them to a darker color. I could also change the color of the dragons and the other castles, but I may just leave them the same.

*Item Placement. I may still change around the locations of the items in Game 2, but I don't want to make the game too tedious or difficult. I could make some items accessible with only the magnet or the bridge, for example, but that could make the game tortuous to play.

That's all I can think of for now, all that stuff is going to take at least 2 or 3 more days to pull off. If you or anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to ideas for additional changes.

AM

At one time, wasn't someone trying to figure out or had made a hack with 2 bats?? That would be cool if you could incorperate that into a game....except I think in order to do it one of the dragons had to be sacrificed... In that case it would be better to have the dragon. I agree with Stan...I love the 2nd lable. Very sweet.

Ok, Adventure Plus is now 99% completed, I just need to go over the code one more time & do a little play testing to make sure there aren't any errors.

Here's what is included in what will probably be the final update:

*White Castle maze is all new

*Black Castle maze was revised, but is not completely new.

*Most of the extra exits in the rooms were removed, because I actually found them to make the game too easy. They allowed you to completely bypass one of the mazes.

*Colors changed in main corridor to a darker shade.

One final, significant change is the placement of the Chalice (in Game 2). Just in case you want to try and solve it yourself, I'm going to type the following in super small print .... you can cut & paste into notepad and make the font bigger if you want to read the spoiler.

The hidden dot is now an integral part of retreiving the chalice and finishing the game (in Game #2). It has been changed to a line graphic and flashes, I guess you could call it a "gold bar".

The chalice is now hidden in the screen that contains the easter egg (which no longer has any text, I moved that image and used it in the title screen). You'll have to take the dot (now a "gold bar") and take it to where the easter egg screen is to find the chalice. This of course does not affect Game #1, the chalice is still in the black castle in that game.

Game 3 doesn't seem to allow the chalice to be placed in the hidden room, so this change only affects Game 2.

Everything appears to be fine, I didn't find any bugs during my run through of game #2 tonight. I did notice that there were problems with the black castle maze in all of the previous revisions, that's been resolved.

I'll do my final play testing on Friday and post the completed version by Friday afternoon.

AM

At one time, wasn't someone trying to figure out or had made a hack with 2 bats?? That would be cool if you could incorperate that into a game....except I think in order to do it one of the dragons had to be sacrificed... In that case it would be better to have the dragon.  I agree with Stan...I love the 2nd lable. Very sweet.

That would have been me. Looks like I'll never get it finished unless I can find a job (funny...you'd think that it would be the other way around). Worry seems to cut down on my creative edge. Never did get that bankswitching thing worked out anyway, though (the essential part of doing it to begin with). Anyway...the angle that I was going for was to have the bat from Haunted House in the game, and include the original bat in it's object matrix (the table that holds items "desired").

Re: object locations

One thing that you need to watch out for is how the objects are placed, since it was mentioned before that game 3 feeds off of that when it's placing them "randomly". I believe that Warren had to try a few variations before he found a suitable one (and even that variation gives you one chance of starting the game with a key locked in it's own castle).

Or am I completely misunderstanding that part (?)

It's finished!

After many, many hours of work in the past 24 hours, this hack is finally complete. I've playtested & completed all of the levels several times, and there don't seem to be any problems or bugs.

Here is the final list of the changes, as well as some new screenshots:

General Changes:

*Title Screen Added ("Adventure+")

*Red Dragon Difficulty increased (movement & bite speed)

*Left and right border walls removed in main corridor

*Game 1: Bat & Red Dragon added, one item moved to new location

*Game 2: 4 Items are in new locations, including the Chalice. If you have difficulty solving the new layout of game 2, there is a spolier included in this thread, a few posts back.

*Note: The extra exits that were in many of the rooms in the previous revisions have been removed from the final version. They made the game too easy.

Graphics Changes:

*Dragons changed to look more like dragons and less like ducks.

*Chalice, magnet, castle gates, sword, and bridge graphics all changed.

*Castles made wider at the top (I just thought it looked cooler!)

*Barrier Obstacles added to many rooms.

*All-New Blue Maze

*All-New Invisible Maze

*All-New White Castle Maze

*Revised Black Castle Maze

Color Changes:

*Yellow Castle changed to a dark orange color

*Yellow Key changed to orange, to match new yellow castle color

*Blue Maze changed to a darker blue

*Startup screen changed from purple to tan

*Level select numbers changed to dark blue

*Main Corridor colors changed to dark blue and dark purple

*Room below white castle changed to dark purple

The game's sounds are too loud and seem to come from the PC speaker, I can't make them stop, so I can't play this at work. Any way to de-activate the sound?

Yes. Actually, there was just a thread about this. I believe you just use the -q option on the command line. Here's the thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18877