IGNORED

"Adventure Plus": New Mazes, New Colors & More

Atarius Maximus

Adventure Plus is now available in our store, for $15.  The label came out great!  Here is a picture of an actual cart:  

2600_AdventurePlus_Image1.jpg

You can find Adventure Plus in our store here.

..Al

Albert, since Kablamo and Euchre aren't available yet, I think I'll use my store credit towards this one and get the rest at the Classic. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished up the final version of the map. It's pretty big at 1100x1237 pixels, so I'm just going to post a link rather than the actual image here.

Edit: I updated the link below on 4/25/03, it should work now. 8) :)

http://www.steveengelhardt.com/adventure+map.zip

AM

• 2 months later...

I have no idea if anyone will be interested in this or not, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Attached is a zip file containing 93 different Bins of Adventure Plus, numbered in the order of development, from 1/4/2003 through 2/17/2003. Each revision is an update (some were VERY minor), and shows the slow development up to the final version. Some bins may not be playable at all, or have glaring bugs, as these are the bins I used when I was testing. Others will be fully playable, and have some of the things I pulled out of the final version, like the additional room exits.

So, for better or for worse, here is every single bin that I made during the development of the Adventure Plus.

adv_dev.zip

Wouldn't it be awesome to put your best ones on a multicart?

Yeah, that could be kind of cool. :) I'm guessing AA could probably do that if you wanted it, it would have to be burned on to a 27c040 eprom to get all of them, that one supports up to a 128 in 1 configuration.

It would take alot of work though, as you'd have to play through each one to determine which ones are truly playable. I seem to remember there was a problem with the black castle maze, making it impossible to fully navigate, that I didn't catch until near the end of development.

AM

Truely one of the best hacks ever.

I wonder if a soundtrack would be cool.

Something ominous. I dunno though.

It might take away from the whole experience since Adventure has always been played in silence.

Still with games like Mr. Roboto and Combat Rock I cant help but wonder.

In any case if you haven't picked this game up YET. I'd do so post-haste!

Attached is a zip file containing 93 different Bins of Adventure Plus

As my server is still down, I thought I'd post my findins here.

Based on CRC 16, 32 and byte count, these BIN files are duplicates:

Adventure+38.bin and Adventure_2.bin

Adventure+63.bin and Adventure+64.bin

Adventure+93.bin and Adventure_Plus.bin

As such, Adventure+ 38, 64 and 93 will be removed from the archive.

A note explaining these missing files will be added to the changes log, as well as be available here for anyone seeking a reason for these numeric gaps.

Also, as the + character is illegal in file names on many computers, within my archives, all Adventure+ files are listed as Adventure_Plus (to answer Meriks question.)

Of course, a proper CRC will always reveal the true identity :)

Great job, and I do appreciate having these files, especially since they are now available in the wild.

As soon as I finish pulling my foot out of my mouth for posting TankAI public, I'll start working on a new CRC list and post it.

I'm not suprised there are few duplicates in there. The files were not saved with any meaningful filenames when I was working on the hack, so I just renamed them all in order based on the date of the file. I may have saved a work in progress twice a few times with different names, which based on your post pointing out duplicates, I guess I did.

As I pointed out before, many of the bin's will be unplayable. When I was working on new mazes, I would usually work on them in an easily accessible part of the game map (like putting the invisible maze modifications into the blue maze area), and once I worked out the bugs I'd change the code to put everything in the right place. Of the 90+ bins, I'd guess at least half of them or more are not fully playable.

Like I said in the original post, I didn't know if anybody would care about them or not. :) I just shared what would have otherwise just been deleted and lost.

AM

• 2 years later...

Wow, hard to believe it's been two years since I did this hack! :) As you all know, this hack is no longer sold here at AtariAge as Atari asked Al to pull it. Jarrett at packrat video games, however, will be adding it to his store....it looks like Atari is going to let him.

With that in mind, I created a new, slightly revised version of Adventure Plus, and dubbed it Adventure Plus "Packrat Edition". He will be offering it for sale for the first time at CGE2K5 with an all-new label by Nick Ross, who has done many of the existing hack labels in Jarrett's store. After CGE, It will then be available for sale at Jarrett's store (packratvg.com).

I still hope to make an improved 8K version of Adventure in the future (all of the great info that Nukey has posted will make that possible), but for now this is just a refreshed version of my original hack, with slightly updated mazes and sprites. The layout of the game is the same.

Attached are the original bin, and two new versions of the game (I made a 2nd version with all invisible rooms just for fun - it likely won't be released on a cart).

AM

adv_plus.zip

adv_plus_pe.zip

adv_plus_pe_invis.zip

adv_plus_pe_source.zip

Edited by Atarius Maximus

May I make a silly suggestion?

Since all the dragons are facing left, the sword should probably be pointing to the right (as it was in the original game - well, that was the intention, anyway. It wasn't supposed to be an arrow pointting left; the point of the arrow is supposed to be the hilt of the sword) :)

Obviously, not even remotely a major problem, just something I wanted to point out.

Fun game, though I'm struggling just in variation 1. I can't imagine what game 3 is like.

-DS-

It wasn't supposed to be an arrow pointting left; the point of the arrow is supposed to be the hilt of the sword

Ha! I never thought of it like that. All this time I thought the tip of the arrow was also the tip of the sword. :lol: Based on my own interpretation, I think I'll leave it like it is. :)

I just edited my post from this morning and added the source code. Feel free to change the game however you'd like to. :cool:

AM

It wasn't supposed to be an arrow pointting left; the point of the arrow is supposed to be the hilt of the sword

Ha! I never thought of it like that. All this time I thought the tip of the arrow was also the tip of the sword. :lol: Based on my own interpretation, I think I'll leave it like it is. :)

I just edited my post from this morning and added the source code. Feel free to change the game however you'd like to. :cool:

AM

903858[/snapback]

Well, it bugs me because the sword now doesn't really look like a sword *or* an arrow, it looks like an anchor on its side. :)

If I can find any sort of freeware Assembler compiler that actually runs on my Mac (and figure out what the heck where the sword image is stored), maybe I'll give it a try.

Edit: Aha, there it is. :) Still looking for assembler.

-DS-

Edited by Raiu

Since I work directly with both Atari's legal and licensing groups, I can tell you for a 110% fact that no one has any permission or grant from Atari on ANY hack/version of Adventure except Ron Lloyd & Atariage.com for Adventure II (and that took nearly a year to pull together)

Some whomever your got your false info from, I would go back and recheck because as it stands you are putting yourself into a bad position by following false and misleading information about the use of your game, it would be a shame for you to get pulled into an ugly situation because someone is giving you untrue information.

Curt

Wow, hard to believe it's been two years since I did this hack! :)  As you all know, this hack is no longer sold here at AtariAge as Atari asked Al to pull it.  Jarrett at packrat video games, however, will be adding it to his store....it looks like Atari is going to let him.

With that in mind, I created a new, slightly revised version of Adventure Plus, and dubbed it Adventure Plus "Packrat Edition".  He will be offering it for sale for the first time at CGE2K5 with an all-new label by Nick Ross, who has done many of the existing hack labels in Jarrett's store.  After CGE, It will then be available for sale at Jarrett's store (packratvg.com). 

I still hope to make an improved 8K version of Adventure in the future (all of the great info that Nukey has posted will make that possible), but for now this is just a refreshed version of my original hack, with slightly updated mazes and sprites.  The layout of the game is the same.

Attached are the original bin, and two new versions of the game (I made a 2nd version with all invisible rooms just for fun - it likely won't be released on a cart). 

AM

903730[/snapback]

Since I work directly with both Atari's legal and licensing groups, I can tell you for a 110% fact that no one has any permission or grant from Atari on ANY hack/version of Adventure except Ron Lloyd & Atariage.com for Adventure II (and that took nearly a year to pull together)

Curt,

Jarrett from Packrat contacted me a few weeks ago regarding the sale of Adventure Plus. He offered me this information in his first PM correspondence:

I'm happy to report that Infogrames still hasn't asked us to stop selling hacks, and has actually sanctioned one of our hack releases, Haunted Adventure. We have been given permission to continue selling HA carts, even though it's on the Flashback 2.0. I was very surprised with their decision (and very pleased)

Tony, the creator of Haunted Adventure, also sent me a PM expressing concern over this. I have no desire to get myself or anyone into legal trouble with Atari. If Atari doesn't want Jarrett to sell Adventure Plus, then I don't want him to sell it either, period.

Jarrett, if you're reading this, would you please comment?

AM

Hi Steve,

Absolutely, I am looking out for your best interest here. I can tell you NO SUCH official correspondence took place with legal and/or licensing, both of which would HAVE to be involved in such matters, I just got off the phone with the head of Atari legal.

Tony Wong has a contract with Atari for his Haunted Adventure variation done for Atari's Flashback 2 console, he cannot sell that version, but is free to continue his development of his original HA's and homebrew releases of it, thats a different story...

Your Adventure has not been reviewed or permission given for commercial retail of it, I suggest you speak with Jarret and get some clarification. Jarret, I will be happy to help you get out of this bind, I recommend you give me the name of the person you spoke with at Atari and I will have Legal and Licensing get to the botom of this before you put Steve into a bad situation.

Steve - my recommendation to you and to any homebrew author looking to retail your hacks/mod's of existing Atari games, make sure you are shown written approvals from the owners of licensese/assets before you give permission for your games to be commercially sold. Atari doesn't have issues with hacks, if they are freely posted for downloads only. When you start to commercially sell those hacks, that puts you into a different arena and that's where you can get yourself into a sticky situation. I head up product hardware development, I'm only stepping in here because I'm part of this community and I'm looking out for guys like you, this is not my job, but I will help you out where I can.

Curt

Curt

Curt,

Jarrett from Packrat contacted me a few weeks ago regarding the sale of Adventure Plus. He offered me this information in his first PM correspondence:

I'm happy to report that Infogrames still hasn't asked us to stop selling hacks, and has actually sanctioned one of our hack releases, Haunted Adventure. We have been given permission to continue selling HA carts, even though it's on the Flashback 2.0. I was very surprised with their decision (and very pleased)

Tony, the creator of Haunted Adventure, also sent me a PM expressing concern over this. I have no desire to get myself or anyone into legal trouble with Atari. If Atari doesn't want Jarrett to sell Adventure Plus, then I don't want him to sell it either, period.

Jarrett, if you're reading this, would you please comment?

AM

904391[/snapback]

before you put Steve into a bad situation.
Steve - my recommendation to you and to any homebrew author looking to retail your hacks/mod's of existing Atari games, make sure you are shown written approvals from the owners of licensese/assets before you give permission for your games to be commercially sold.

With these comments in mind, let me officially state that I do not give permission for anyone to sell any variation of my Adventure Plus hack, unless written proof of an agreement with Atari is provided to me. I'm not going to pursue an agreement myself, as I have no intention of trying to profit from this hack.

Thank you for all the detailed information Curt, it is much appreciated.

AM

Thank you for your help Curt. My information was wrong, and we will not be releasing Adventure Plus. The last thing that I want is to further hurt this community and its relationship with Atari. I also apologize to Steve for misleading him. He was going off of the information that I passed on to him.

Thanks again Curt for your advice. I'm glad that we were able to stop this project before something bad happened.

Thanks,

Jarett

I almost feel like an interloper now :)

After finally getting DASM working, I changed the sword to resemble the Warrior's Sword from Swordquest: Earthworld (except pointing to the right instead of up).

The second one was me just goofing around with it, and making the sword flash like the Chalice (even when set to black and white) :)

And, no, I don't plan on selling the Flashing Warrior Sword Adventure Plus Hack, so no worries ;)

-DS-

adv_plus_sword.bin

adv_plus_sword_flash.bin

Edited by Raiu

• 2 weeks later...