IGNORED

Colecovision problem- need help!

tillenterprises

Hi folks, A couple months ago my Colecovision started acting weird. Player one is stuck in moving left mode and I believe a fire button is also constantly acting as if pressed on player one. No, it's not the controller, as I've unplugged the controller entirely and it still does it. I've also tried other controllers, and there's no change. So, I thought it must be a problem with the PCB. I also removed the PCB and checked the soldering on the player one joystick port to see if there was a short or a bad solder joint somewhere, but all seems fine. Could something have zapped the board and caused this? BTW, player 2 joystick port is working fine.

Can anybody suggest something else for me to check? if I can't fix this myself, would somebody be able to fix this for me if I send it to you for a reasonable price? I also have another non-working CV I could perhaps trade you in exchange for fixing this one if you're interested...

Please respond to joe@tillenterprises.com as I don't always check the forums. Thanks!!!

Sounds like the octal buffer IC (controller chip). $20 repair. I will replace the original IC with a socket and install a new IC. By all means feel free to DIY, if you have strong soldering skills. It is pretty easy to mess up traces, plated thru holes and pads on the PCB.

• Like 1

Believe him when he says you need -strong- soldering skills too.

You'll want to have the right tools to remove the solder from the IC or you'll do what I did... and burn the board beyond repair trying to use braid.

It's really worth it to have Yurkie do the repair. Then you don't have to spend $20 in soldering materials--or worse yet buy a new board.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice, everybody, but is there anybody else other than Yurkie who fixes and/or mods Colecovisions that you could recommend?. I would like to do the DIY, but I am so busy with business right now that I don't have time. If there is nobody else, where can I get this controller IC chip, and I guess I'll just do it myself. Thanks!

Yurkie has refurbed two of my CV consoles (one for me and one for a friend). He does top notch work and turns things around incredibly fast. IMHO, Yurkie is the only way to go.

Additionally, if you want an upgrade, he can trick your console out with the pause button, A/V mod, BIOS skip and ball knob controllers. His work is highly recommended.

• 1 month later...