IGNORED

Mystery Atari 800XL mod

Dropcheck

Hi,

Picked up this 800XL on ebay a week ago and I am stumped. There's a mod I have never seen. Was hoping someone could shed some light on what it might be. A black brick stuck in the OS socket. It goes to a 3 way switch that has US+, XL, XL Fix. I'd rather know what it is before I apply power. As usual the seller denied knowledge.

Thanks,

:)

DSC_1220.jpg

DSC_1222.jpg

Looks like two or more upgrades. The 'black lump' is a CSS UltraSpeed+. The little flat cable and IC mess looks like a memory expansion.

Bob

Hi,

Picked up this 800XL on ebay a week ago and I am stumped. There's a mod I have never seen. Was hoping someone could shed some light on what it might be. A black brick stuck in the OS socket. It goes to a 3 way switch that has US+, XL, XL Fix. I'd rather know what it is before I apply power. As usual the seller denied knowledge.

Does anyone have a install manual for the UltraSpeed+?

http://www.atariage....plus-os-module/

Many thanks. I tried putting power to the board and guess what? It won't boot. So....... it's repair time. Never having seen or used this upgrade before I had no clue what wires were for what. Now I think I can see clearly through the mud. :lol:

Oh that sucks that it won't boot.

It IS cool that it has some upgrades but now you will be fighting a couple of battles. First one is to figure out if the machine is not booting because of the upgrades or did it just fail. Then you gotta figure out if the upgrades are done right once you get it up and running.

First thing I would do is to reseat all the chips on the board to see if its something simple like that and go from there. I'm just curius, do you have a picture of the full board including what the ribbon cable attaches to on the other side that isn't in the picture?

Here's the full board view. I do have a question about why there's an on/off switch connect to U7 chip?

DSC_1221.jpg

Found my answer I think, was reading the pdf from the link and it appears to be an additional option dealing with renumbering drive numbers. Hummmm....

Edited by Dropcheck

It IS cool that it has some upgrades but now you will be fighting a couple of battles. First one is to figure out if the machine is not booting because of the upgrades or did it just fail. Then you gotta figure out if the upgrades are done right once you get it up and running.

First thing I would do is to reseat all the chips on the board to see if its something simple like that and go from there. I'm just curius, do you have a picture of the full board including what the ribbon cable attaches to on the other side that isn't in the picture?

I've been working on a similiar problem myself. My 1200XL stopped working a few months after doing a bunch of upgrades. After testing a few theories with no results, I decided to just start transfering all the upgrades one at a time to another 1200 mobo. Then return the broken 1200 to stock and repair if necessary. But I'm lucky to have a second working 1200XL and a brand-new old-stock 1200 mobo for the "future" which is now.

I've been working on a similiar problem myself. My 1200XL stopped working a few months after doing a bunch of upgrades. After testing a few theories with no results, I decided to just start transfering all the upgrades one at a time to another 1200 mobo. Then return the broken 1200 to stock and repair if necessary. But I'm lucky to have a second working 1200XL and a brand-new old-stock 1200 mobo for the "future" which is now.

And people wonder why we hoard? LOL I have 2 1200xls. I would like to have a 3rd for backup of my backup. But then again, I never use it.

And people wonder why we hoard? LOL I have 2 1200xls. I would like to have a 3rd for backup of my backup. But then again, I never use it.

Hoard?!? ;-) But I only have one 600XL and one 800XL with no back-ups! That's only 5 Atari 8-bits altogether. (I sold my 400, 2 800's and 2 130XE's!)

Edited by Gunstar

The fact is, my "hoarding" entails aquiring non-working Atari's for parts and/or repair. I keep only my 1200XL and "parts" for it, the rest will be repaird/refurbished and possibly upgraded and then sold. A service to the Atari community helping to keep more Atari's in working condition and available. Though the turn-around could be weeks or years, depending on my disposition to the work.

Hoard?!? ;-) But I only have one 600XL and one 800XL with no back-ups! That's only 5 Atari 8-bits altogether. (I sold my 400, 2 800's and 2 130XE's!)

Hmmm... I not touching THIS thread!!! LOL

Yeah you have way too much stuff, send some of it my way. I'll be happy to "store it" for you :D

Hmmm... I not touching THIS thread!!! LOL

Yeah you have way too much stuff, send some of it my way. I'll be happy to "store it" for you :D

says the man who makes Rhod look like a 'casual collector'...

sloopy.

Best lil whorehouses in Cali!

Best is storing all the stuff I eventually want right now for me. I just have to pay the man. Best Elec. is where I got my 1200XL new old-stock motherboard. It was like $25 so I figured I might as well get it, the 1200's I already had were a bit long in the tooth when I got them.