IGNORED

Atari 800XL green S-video output

storhemulen

Hi to all!

I have an NTSC 800XL that I have started messing with. First I made a DIN5-to-SCART cable. Video is a bit blurry, not too bad, but it's green instead of blue! I also made a DIN5-to-S-video cable (as described here) and picture is sharper than the SCART cable, which I find a bit strange, but still green.

My plan is to make the common SuperVideo mod, as described here. So far I have only added the chroma signal to pin 5, in order to produce the S-video output for my cable.

Any idea what might cause the green video? A possible explanation I guess could be that one or several components in the video circuitry could have gone off it's original value. Should I just go ahead and make the mod first and hope for the best? I would prefer to have a somewhat correct output first before I do the rest of the SuperVideo mod.

If the colour trimpot is out of adjustment then the colour will shift around the spectrum.

Green is right next to blue, so that's probably what's happened

The trimpot is accessable from a small hole in the bottom of the case, use a very small flat screwdriver, preferably a non-conductive one.

I'm sure Rybags will give you good advice, but I'll also offer this.

It depends -- if your 800XL was a late-model XL, made in Taiwan (bottom of case), then you won't get a bunch of improvement. But if not Taiwan, then before you go to the work of SV 2.1, look at this thread. You might be quite happy, and do a lot less work.

http://www.atariage....rade-for-800xl/

-Larry

I'm sure Rybags will give you good advice, but I'll also offer this.

It depends -- if your 800XL was a late-model XL, made in Taiwan (bottom of case), then you won't get a bunch of improvement. But if not Taiwan, then before you go to the work of SV 2.1, look at this thread. You might be quite happy, and do a lot less work.

http://www.atariage....rade-for-800xl/

-Larry

Thanks Larry!

My 800XL is indeed Taiwan made, so maybe I'll settle for the modding described in "Quick & Easy Video Upgrade". I guess you might say it's a boiled down version of the SuperVideo? The stuff that was really bad design so to speak.